!* OFFICIAL AVS MEDIA ORGANIZATION THREAD: How do you organize , sort and maintain your digital media collection ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 06-24-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
This thread is dedicated to discussing the best practices and methods for organizing digital media.

Let the fun begin!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I use media center master to organize and rename my library and also download my art and meta data.

http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7666

how do you do it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 67 Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yup, I use MCM here too - it finds everything I throw at it.

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K EX4420, B&K TX4430, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #4 of 67 Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I like Metabrowser, it has a nice easy layout and nice to work with. It has no trouble with any of my movies, boxsets and tv shows. Plus its perfectly compatible with MB.
post #5 of 67 Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have everything automated off an EventGhost script. Once my video downloads or is copied into my downloads folder, EventGhost automatically unpacks it into a temporary folder using SCRU. Then theRenamer renames the file and moves it to my server. XBMC's built in metadata scraper gets the metadata and artwork. I used to use Media Center Master but XBMC's scraper is so good it's made that program unnecessary. Might need to reinstall it when I make the move to JRiver, not sure how it's built in scraper is. Took some setup but it's completely automated.
post #6 of 67 Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I use media center master to organize and rename my library and also download my art and meta data.

how do you do it ?
Currently I use a manual naming format similar to the one you showed here; Movie Title (Year) [Resolution] as I rip them but MCM looks like an easier solution.
post #7 of 67 Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I use MCM as well. Another one worth trying is filebot.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #8 of 67 Old 08-09-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I have all my content pretty well organized on HDD's but I don't have the drives themselves well organized. I have to search among several drives to find what I'm looking for.

post #9 of 67 Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Currently I use a manual naming format similar to the one you showed here; Movie Title (Year) [Resolution] as I rip them but MCM looks like an easier solution.

For sure.

I just rip and the name it rips is usually easily picked up by mediacentermaster.

Example:

I rip die hard: it comes as "die_hard01" and usually media center master will catch it. I have my media center master set to manually confirm every search result with me for approval before it renames.

Sometimes a movie isn't caught, in which case I just rename it manually and then mediacentermaster grabs it.

Example : 01.mkv is probably not going to work so rename that to a simple " die hard"

Media center mater will capitalize , add year and resolution and properly name it. You just need it close enough. Not perfect.

-

post #10 of 67 Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I just let JRiver handle everything. It automatically grabs metadata for any films or individual TV episodes that I have ripped (I use makemkv) and lets you rename/move files using their simple but powerful "expression language".
It looks like their expressions are easier to understand than the Media Center Master examples posted above.

Rather than trying to decipher what T T (Y) [Q] [G] is, you would have an expression that was something like: [Name] [Year] [Height]p [Genre]
But the expression language also supports a lot of complex functions if you want to make use of them. For example, you could have an expression set up to rename files differently whether they were movies or TV shows.
fitbrit likes this.
post #11 of 67 Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I also use MCM for all of my movies, tv, and web shows. It's been a reliable tool for a long time now.

I wish there was a source for music video tagging though, that has been a thorn in my side for years. I will have to manually tag them if I want it to look nice in something like MediaBrowser.

What is everyone using for music? I use dbpoweramp to rip my discs and it has some built in tagging functions, so I try to just use that.

I have tried various programs for already ripped music or music that cannot be found with dbpoweramp's metadata tools, but still haven't settled on one for scanning my music and properly tagging it.
post #12 of 67 Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

how do you do it ?

Mediacenter Master.

Looky here!
post #13 of 67 Old 08-10-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

I just rip and the name it rips is usually easily picked up by mediacentermaster.

Example:

I rip die hard: it comes as "die_hard01" and usually media center master will catch it. I have my media center master set to manually confirm every search result with me for approval before it renames.

Sometimes a movie isn't caught, in which case I just rename it manually and then mediacentermaster grabs it.

Example : 01.mkv is probably not going to work so rename that to a simple " die hard"

Media center mater will capitalize , add year and resolution and properly name it. You just need it close enough. Not perfect.
Thanks. That's what I do now, so I have a rough title and manually re-do it post rip. I presume it copes with the underscores Makemkv adds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper11 View Post

What is everyone using for music? I use dbpoweramp to rip my discs and it has some built in tagging functions, so I try to just use that.

I have tried various programs for already ripped music or music that cannot be found with dbpoweramp's metadata tools, but still haven't settled on one for scanning my music and properly tagging it.
As I haven't yet started recording all of my CDs, I'm curious about this as well. Ideally I'd like to use my own tagging structure, one that makes sense for how I want to arrange the tags, and the types of tags, rather than what the programmer thinks is best. I guess that means doing it all manually.
post #14 of 67 Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 PM

Liked: 10
Is there anyway that MCM can rename tv shows automatically after download? What I do usually is download the TV shows directly into the perspective folders and then go back and later manually rename them with MCM. Is there anyway that it will automatically rename them?
post #15 of 67 Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Thanks. That's what I do now, so I have a rough title and manually re-do it post rip. I presume it copes with the underscores Makemkv adds?
As I haven't yet started recording all of my CDs, I'm curious about this as well. Ideally I'd like to use my own tagging structure, one that makes sense for how I want to arrange the tags, and the types of tags, rather than what the programmer thinks is best. I guess that means doing it all manually.

I use Media Monkey. Its tagging functionality is very similar to how MCM or metabrowser collects metadata, I.e. it lets you confirm titles, tracks, cover art etc. before saving. Great music organizer (and player).
post #16 of 67 Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

The best tagging software I've used in terms of functionality+ease of use is Tag&Rename.

Looky here!
post #17 of 67 Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

I use Media Monkey. Its tagging functionality is very similar to how MCM or metabrowser collects metadata, I.e. it lets you confirm titles, tracks, cover art etc. before saving. Great music organizer (and player).

I have this. Even paid for the gold lifetime subscription. But I never figured out how to use it.. every time I try I lose patience and quit. I wish it was more intuitive. I don't want to watch 15 you tube videos that deliver information slow enough for people with learning disabilities. I need it fast.. fast...fast.. Or I am a moving on. I moved on from Mediamonkey. Perhaps I should try again with a cup of coffee and nothing urgent to distract me.

I think I was expecting I could use it like MCM- and instead I fumbled around for 30 minutes and never renamed or downloaded any art or tags. That program is not very good IMO.

-

post #18 of 67 Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this in anther thread but didn't get a response and hoping it'll get more traction here.

"I have a question about MCM's artwork manager and its integration with XBMC. When MCM scans a new title it adds a folder.jpg and poster.jpg to each folder but when I right click a title in MCM and choose "Choose artwork, backdrops and banners" it saves the selected artwork over folder.jpg leaving poster.jpg unchanged. It's my understanding that XBMC uses poster.jpg as the preferred thumbnail for that file so any changes I made from the MCM menu aren't seen by XBMC unless I first delete poster.jpg. Am I missing something in my configuration or going about this completely wrong?

MCM v2.08
XBMC v12.2"

I got no response on the MCM forums unfortunately.
post #19 of 67 Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Try emailing Peter, or send him a question on facebook. He always answers my emails pretty quick.

-

post #20 of 67 Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 10
How do you handle special features?
I have this figured out for TV shows. But I'm about to start ripping my LoTR trilogy and I have little idea where to start. Each movie has 4 discs. I know for most movies people here strip out the extras. But this is the usual run of the mill extras for this one. I assume I start with i.e. "\Movies\LoTR triology\Fellowship" and in there I put the mkv of the movie. Do I create a sub folder called Specials?
post #21 of 67 Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I make a separate folder called extras. I have it set up so I have to go looking for it, and the movie is the first option to play.

-

post #22 of 67 Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have been using vimedia manager or another one i got off xbmc.org... They r great! What ever movie u got it reads off imdb, tvdb, and a few others... U can elect to do it all automatically or manually and change dvd covers... Fan art and it looks great in xbmc... There are a few others but im on a mac... So im not sure if mmc would work for mac?
post #23 of 67 Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 PM

Liked: 15
Scrapers exist in Moving pictures (IMDB+) and TVseries in mediaportal, they automatically grab information on new files added to shares.
You can also manually search in the frontend now (big improvement) so you don't have to change from the frontend to the configuration application if the automatic scraper fails.

A lot of people also use theRenamer for file name changes and redirection.
post #24 of 67 Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm more lazy, but do more work.

My media is organized into different directories on different external drives. For movies, if the files are over 4GB, they go into the movies directory on drive 1. If over, then movies in drive 2. One drive is formatted into FAT32 from when I did use the PS3 to playback movies. TV shows go onto drive 1, which TV show directory with subdirectories for each show, and then each season.

I use Plex, and just tell it where where all the movies and tv shows are, and just let it scrape.

I have some directories on my PC, but they're for when I rip and encode. One directory is for output with MakeMKV. I have it linked to Plex to it's own libray. It's to make sure the movie plays. I have another directory for output using Handbrake, which I use to transcode the MakeMKV, so they're smaller mkv files. That directory is also linked to Plex in it's own directory to for testing. I have another Plex library linked to my Media Center DVR recordings.

For metatags, I just manually do them, what I can't set in the ripping or I've downloaded. I find Plex's scraper with IMDB and TVRage to be sufficient for my needs. I just name the file enough--movie title (year) or tv show name - seasonepisode - episode title.

For bonus features, I create a separate directory for them. There is a another Plex Library for them too. I find using the movie setting works best. If it can't find metadata for it, it'll still list the file. I'm too lazy to create my own metadata file. I've been considering deleting this since I almost never rewatch them.
post #25 of 67 Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I have this. Even paid for the gold lifetime subscription. But I never figured out how to use it.. every time I try I lose patience and quit. I wish it was more intuitive. I don't want to watch 15 you tube videos that deliver information slow enough for people with learning disabilities. I need it fast.. fast...fast.. Or I am a moving on. I moved on from Mediamonkey. Perhaps I should try again with a cup of coffee and nothing urgent to distract me.

I think I was expecting I could use it like MCM- and instead I fumbled around for 30 minutes and never renamed or downloaded any art or tags. That program is not very good IMO.

1. Right click on selected track(s).
2. Select "Auto-tag from Web"
3. Select which tags you want to save.
4. Done.
post #26 of 67 Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

1. Right click on selected track(s).
2. Select "Auto-tag from Web"
3. Select which tags you want to save.
4. Done.

Thanks Dude !

-

post #27 of 67 Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 146
When I decided to use Mediabrowser with WMC full-time, I used MCM to get all the artwork and everything. I haven't had to use it since though since Mediabrower seems to get it right whenever I add a new movie. What I'd give now for a WMC menu editor that really works so the wife/kids would stop going into Movie Library accidentally.

post #28 of 67 Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Put up your thoughts on the MB3 site- let them tackle that now while it's being developed.

-

post #29 of 67 Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I make a separate folder called extras. I have it set up so I have to go looking for it, and the movie is the first option to play.

Do you use MakeMKV to rip extras as well? I can never seem to figure this portion out without MakeMKV explicitly saying which track is what. Also, do you us MCM to create extras metadata?
post #30 of 67 Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkinder83 View Post

Do you use MakeMKV to rip extras as well? I can never seem to figure this portion out without MakeMKV explicitly saying which track is what. Also, do you us MCM to create extras metadata?

You can, but I prefer ISO for menus and such. Just launch the ISO from a clone drive player or mounted virtual drive. You can play it the same as if the disc was in your BR player. For ripping I like just the movie, no extras and no intros. If I want special features or what not I use ISO. I have some movies where I have both ISO and MKV of the same movie (but organized in difference places, I have an ISO folder or category)

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page