Min CPU Requirements for running Plex Media Server ~ with and without transcoding? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi There,

I haven't yet built my HTPC yet... but I installed Plex Media Server on my Synology - turns out my LG TV has a plex client. Boom. That was awesome. Unexpectedly, I was streaming my entire collection of movies to my TV... My blu ray rips were streaming perfectly. It looked amazing. Obviously my synology was not doing any transcoding... Got my wondering...

1) What's the min CPU required to have a snappy plex library w/ no transcoding?

2) What's the min CPU required to transcode a couple streams at a time?

I'm thinking about building my parents a cheap plex server + roku 3 box as a gift. I can build the server cheap if I don't ever tell them plex is capable of working on mobile devices ;-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
With both of those questions it's going to depend on the file being transcoded. Typically it doesn't require that much processing power.
The Plex minimum recommendations for NAS transcoding are:
At a minimum, a Core 2 Duo 1.6ghz CPU
For 720p transcoding, a Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz CPU
For 1080p transcoding, a Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz CPU

However there are certain container/codec/client combinations that seems to spike the CPU when using the Plex transcoder and my 3770K @ 4.5GHz has trouble keeping up with some of those files. This was more of an issue when I was only using the Roku. With the HTPC I'm able to direct play everything so it's a non issue.

This will be a useful resource for you: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. Do you think an AMD A10-6700 CPU will be good for transcoding? I'm going to make a little plex media server box, and I like that the AMD A10 6700 is only 65w, quad core, and only $150.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post

Thanks for the reply. Do you think an AMD A10-6700 CPU will be good for transcoding? I'm going to make a little plex media server box, and I like that the AMD A10 6700 is only 65w, quad core, and only $150.

Should be more than enough. If you run into any files that give you issues transcoding you should be able to remux or re-encode them into something that works better. From what I know most people don't run into such issues.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
Reply Home Theater Computers