post #61 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

JapanDave, I don't recall seeing which motherboard you are using.

I do see you mentioning you purchased 2x Adaptec HBAs. Are they both connected? Does your motherboard support x8/x8 mode on it's PCIe lanes? Each of those cards appears from the link you listed can support 8xHDDs directly connected, and it doesn't look like you are trying to use more than 8 HDDs right now, correct? Are you trying this with both adaptec cards in your mobo at the same time? If so, take one out for now. Literally remove it from the PCI slot (and don't use the hot swap bays it was connected to on the Norco)

Also, pull out all HDDs from the bays (I think your using Norco hot-swap) and just leave the SDD. Then boot. Then plug 1 HDD into your motherboard, go into disk manager, delete all it's partitions, right click, new simple volume, give it a drive letter and select GPT formatting. All available space should show up (2796 MB or something close) with the drive listed as E: or F: etc. Then put that single HDD back into the hot swap bay that's connected to your single HBA (leave other HDDs out for the first time) and boot.

If that works, you shouldn't have any problems with cables, mobo/hba mismatch, or the OS. Then you need to repeat the process with another empty hdd, but this time connect it to your second card. If it fails to show up (after formatting it directly through the motherboards sata connector) upon reboot when connected to your second HBA then your motherboard doesn't support x8/x8.
Just tried this, took out both cards and put the HD in the top hotswap bays. Booted up and got a message asking if I wanted to convert one of the disks to GTP, clicked ok. Seeming as I already had converted the other dives to GTP earlier the message did not pop up for all disks. Went to disk manager and all 4 disk in the hotswap bay are in disk manager showing 2.7TB. Not showing in "My Compter" screen yet b/c I have not assigned a drive to them. So the resvers breakout is good. The cards are not doing what they are suppossed to be doing.

I am going to try and update the BIOS on the Mobo later. Anyone have a link on how to create a bootable DVD with IMGBurn. I tried to make a bootable USB many times before with no success.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Just tried this, took out both cards and put the HD in the top hotswap bays. Booted up and got a message asking if I wanted to convert one of the disks to GTP, clicked ok. Seeming as I already had converted the other dives to GTP earlier the message did not pop up for all disks. Went to disk manager and all 4 disk in the hotswap bay are in disk manager showing 2.7TB. Not showing in "My Compter" screen yet b/c I have not assigned a drive to them. So the resvers breakout is good. The cards are not doing what they are suppossed to be doing.

I am going to try and update the BIOS on the Mobo later. Anyone have a link on how to create a bootable DVD with IMGBurn. I tried to make a bootable USB many times before with no success.

You have to get very detailed to really determine hardware compatibility problems. You mention taking both cards out, using the reverse breakouts, and using the top hotswap bays.

Your other cables are just the Norco branded SFF8087 to SFF8087 cables right? And you are trying to connect these from the Adaptec controllers to your Norco SAS backplanes? I'm not sure if the other people here are not reading, or what they are basing the "wrong cable" comments on but since you aren't trying to use any sort of "breakout" with the adaptec controllers I don't understand why they would mention that.

After formatting and assigning drive letters, did you try to connect 1 of the HBAs to 1 of the norco backplanes and boot? Do the drives show up now that they were "pre-formatted"?

Also, I've used the Asrock "Internet Flash" utility which doesn't require any usb/cd/floppy and just pulls down the bios update from Asrock servers. I never could tell whether you are using an Asrock Extreme 3/4/6 or the Asus Maximus V Extreme (or some other Asus Extreme). Also, you don't have to make the usb bootable, just copy the bios download to a usb drive. I always use an empty drive, and you have to format it fat32. Boot with it plugged in and find "Instant Flash" in the bios. Different from "Internet Flash" which I believe only comes on Asrock boards. Either way is pretty easy. Look for the instructions on the manufacturer site
JapanDave likes this.
post #63 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Right. The sata ports only go one direction. Forward or reverse. If you have a SAS port on one end and Sata ports on the other you can't use it in both directions (like from sata ports on mobo and also from drives to card )
I am only using the reverse cables. Cheers
Quote:

You have to get very detailed to really determine hardware compatibility problems. You mention taking both cards out, using the reverse breakouts, and using the top hotswap bays.

Yes this is allowing the Disks to register in the disk manager as 2.7TB disks. So no problems there.
Quote:

Your other cables are just the Norco branded SFF8087 to SFF8087 cables right? And you are trying to connect these from the Adaptec controllers to your Norco SAS backplanes? I'm not sure if the other people here are not reading, or what they are basing the "wrong cable" comments on but since you aren't trying to use any sort of "breakout" with the adaptec controllers I don't understand why they would mention that.
Yes, I am connecting these cables to the remaining 4 ports on the Norco backplane.
Quote:

After formatting and assigning drive letters, did you try to connect 1 of the HBAs to 1 of the norco backplanes and boot? Do the drives show up now that they were "pre-formatted"?
Forgive my dullness, but what is a HBA?
Quote:

Also, I've used the Asrock "Internet Flash" utility which doesn't require any usb/cd/floppy and just pulls down the bios update from Asrock servers. I never could tell whether you are using an Asrock Extreme 3/4/6 or the Asus Maximus V Extreme (or some other Asus Extreme). Also, you don't have to make the usb bootable, just copy the bios download to a usb drive. I always use an empty drive, and you have to format it fat32. Boot with it plugged in and find "Instant Flash" in the bios. Different from "Internet Flash" which I believe only comes on Asrock boards. Either way is pretty easy. Look for the instructions on the manufacturer site

Ahh, good to know. I am using the Z77 Extreme 4 board.

My build thread

post #64 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
HBA is your raid card. Just the tech name, Host Bus Adapter.

So...you have a faulty backplane? Is that what we discovered? Or did I not read that right. You show the drives in windows disk manager now? If not, check you device manager for drivers on the raid card. I know my m1015 in IT mode driver was loaded automatically, but that doesn't men they all work that way.

Also, the breakout cable I referenced is if you have a sata backplane or are connecting directly to the drives, allowing you to bypass a possibly failed 8087 SAS backplane.

This may be ruled out already, but did you make sure you had power to the backplane that isn't working?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD 1.3
post #65 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

HBA is your raid card. Just the tech name, Host Bus Adapter.
OK, that is good to know.
Quote:

So...you have a faulty backplane? Is that what we discovered? Or did I not read that right. You show the drives in windows disk manager now? If not, check you device manager for drivers on the raid card. I know my m1015 in IT mode driver was loaded automatically, but that doesn't men they all work that way.
OK, using These cables connected to the top 2 backplane ports and the 2 x 4 break out Sata conectors connected to the Motherboards 8 Sata ports (One disconnected for the SSD), the disks all show up in the Disk manager.

However, when I connect the HBA to the remaining backplane ports and use the bottom hotswap bays, no disk are registering in the disk manager. So the backplane looks OK to me if they are showing with the SFF-8087 Mini SAS Reverse breakout cables connected.
Quote:

Also, the breakout cable I referenced is if you have a sata backplane or are connecting directly to the drives, allowing you to bypass a possibly failed 8087 SAS backplane.

This may be ruled out already, but did you make sure you had power to the backplane that isn't working?

All the lights show up on the front panel in any of the hotswap bays, so I think power is not a problem.

My build thread

post #66 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

What cable are you connecting the Adaptec cards to the backplane with?

Is it a standard 8087 to 8087 SAS to SAS cable?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta
JapanDave likes this.
post #67 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What cable are you connecting the Adaptec cards to the backplane with?

Is it a standard 8087 to 8087 SAS to SAS cable?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes the Norco produced one.

My build thread

post #68 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

After all this trouble shooting I decided to see if I could not get the Supermico cards to work and what do you know, I got these to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All disks are registering in the Disk manager and both cards are reading the disks upon booting. So thanks so much guys for all the help, it seems those Adaptec cards just are not liking something with my setup.

One last thing, could someone run me through the process of assigning the disks letters? It seems that I can't assign one drive at a time, it is only allowing me to select two disks at a time.

Do you chose add new disk volume when assigning letters to the drives?

My build thread

post #69 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

YES! IT IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I managed to get the disks assigned letters . Can someone check and see if this is ok?

My build thread

post #70 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Looks fine to me. However, you can also delete the drive letters and map your drives to a folder. C:\ServerFolders\Disc01, Disc02, Disc03, Disc04... instead of C:, D:, E:, F:, G:,... which might be a route to take. When you use FlexRAID it automatically deletes your drive lettering and maps them to a hidden folder structure anyway.

Glad you got it working. I expect you have some Adaptec cards to return, sell, or throw into the trash.

post #71 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Looks fine to me. However, you can also delete the drive letters and map your drives to a folder. C:\ServerFolders\Disc01, Disc02, Disc03, Disc04... instead of C:, D:, E:, F:, G:,... which might be a route to take. When you use FlexRAID it automatically deletes your drive lettering and maps them to a hidden folder structure anyway.

Glad you got it working. I expect you have some Adaptec cards to return, sell, or throw into the trash.
Thanks, I am celebrating with a couple of beers right now. I can tell you now, the server was this close to being at the bottom of the ocean. But since I just spent $4K on an Assasin HTPC, I was trying a little bit harder.

LOL, yes those cards are going on Ebay if I can't return them.

I have FexRaid, is there a particular way it needs to be setup?

My build thread

post #72 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Flex raid wiki - read it.

Ask on my server thread for general help and make a thread for specific help.

there is enough people around to help you. If you have assassin guide (server) that's another resource I'd use or check.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #73 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The only tip I'd have for FlexRAID would be to consider seeding your drives. Make a folder on one called Movies and on another called TV Series and on another... Then with folder priority selected it will try to keep that media on each of those respective discs. However, the counter argument would be to just let each drive fill up one at a time which would save power and wear on the empty drives when accessing media.
JapanDave likes this.

post #74 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Flex raid wiki - read it.

Ask on my server thread for general help and make a thread for specific help.

there is enough people around to help you. If you have assassin guide (server) that's another resource I'd use or check.
For $4K I am pretty sure I have that resource. But like I said before, I can fu*k up a bowl of cereal.

Think this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The only tip I'd have for FlexRAID would be to consider seeding your drives. Make a folder on one called Movies and on another called TV Series and on another... Then with folder priority selected it will try to keep that media on each of those respective discs. However, the counter argument would be to just let each drive fill up one at a time which would save power and wear on the empty drives when accessing media.

OK, good to know.

My build thread

post #75 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lol @ cereal .gif
JapanDave likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #76 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just follow assassin server guide step by step you'll be ok

-

post #77 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Just follow assassin server guide step by step you'll be ok

Kaspersky is blocking assasin's server blog? Anyone else getting this?

My build thread

post #78 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

I always knew he was a secret Chinese spy.

post #79 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I always knew he was a secret Chinese spy.

So that's who it was! LOL

My build thread

post #80 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Kaspersky is blocking assasin's server blog? Anyone else getting this?

I don't use that crap.

MS security essentials is all I need, and it's free.

-

post #81 of 81 Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My solution for getting 2x 3TB raid1 bootable on a non efi board with win8 with gpt (sort of). It's a bit kludgy in that it fakes windows into seeing 2 virtual drives which based physical drives. However, end result is that it works.

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Asus-P5K-Deluxe-for-3TB-drives?pid=58849#pid58849

k42s.jpg
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page