Non UEFI mother boards, Windows OS, 3-4 TB disks. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
OK, I am still fighting this 3-4TB disks not registering on WHS 2011. I cannot for the life of me get the super mico RAID controllers to work with 4TB disks, so I bought 2 Adaptec 5805's RAID controllers after a bit of quick research.

But , again I am having trouble getting the disks to register. So contacted support for Adaptec and they sent me current drivers and BIOS firmware which I successfully installed. However, when I boot the RAID controllers don't show that they have the BIOS firmware installed. Back to the internet and low and behold, the Adaptec RAID controllers don't work with UEFI mother boards. Being that my board is an ASUS Extreme Z77, I can install the OS in a non UEFI environment. Great I thinks, so another clean re-install of WHS 2011 , this time on the non=UEFI setting (My 13th one BTW), downloaded all the drivers and installed them and reset the system. Awesome, the BIOS is recognized and I am on my way to Server paradise with 4TB disks...

WRONG!!!!

So now, the C: Drive is showing 70gig partition and the D: drive 1.9TB. Where is the other 0.9 TB of space? Back to the internet and what do you know, WHS 2011 does not show over 2TB on a non=UEFI mother board. (and many other windows OS's are the same

FU*K!!!

So it is a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation and I am just about ready to throw the server into the river.

So, does anyone know of a Windows OS that will be able to read 3-4TB drives on a non UEFI mother board.

Windows Server 2012? Windows Server 2012 Essentials? Windows 8?

And the next question would be, can any of these haddle the duty of a media server?

Or am I screwed again and do I have to buy some RAID controllers?

OR..... I could just use 2tb disks for a few years and when I find the need for more space , just upgrade the server then???

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
you cannot boot with a disk which has more then 2tb in non-uefi. (you can, but see max 2tb as in your case) You will need a smaller drive to boot off (ssd is popular here) and use these larger drives as data drives. once OS is up, in windows 7 anyways, you go to disk manager and setup the drives with GPT, after which then you can see it.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #3 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

you cannot boot with a disk which has more then 2tb in non-uefi. (you can, but see max 2tb as in your case) You will need a smaller drive to boot off (ssd is popular here) and use these larger drives as data drives. once OS is up, in windows 7 anyways, you go to disk manager and setup the drives with GPT, after which then you can see it.

You should do this anyway. Just grab any small disc for the OS (SSD is preferred). The OS disc can be attached directly to the motherboard's SATA controller. Keeping your OS on a different disc than data should be safer and you'll end up with better performance since it won't have to seek for both the OS and data.

post #4 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You should do this anyway. Just grab any small disc for the OS (SSD is preferred). The OS disc can be attached directly to the motherboard's SATA controller. Keeping your OS on a different disc than data should be safer and you'll end up with better performance since it won't have to seek for both the OS and data.

How do I do that? The reverse breakout cable takes up all the Sata inputs? Do I need to buy another expansion card? This DIY is damm expensive. I would have been better off paying someone to do this. mad.gif

And I still have the issue of the RAID controllers. Will WHS detect 3-4TB disks if they are just for storage when the OS is installed on the non-UEFI environment?

My build thread

post #5 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't your motherboard have some SATA ports? Just a simple cheap SATA cable to a SSD velcroed to the side of the case is one option. Is there not a free bay in your case? Even a 5.25" bay would work. I'm sure there are other options, but I don't know your component specs.

In my server I have my OS drive connected to one of my motherboard's SATA connectors. All my data drives are connected to my IBM M1015 SAS card (2x SAS = 8x SATA).

I'm running Windows Server 2012 Essentials so I wouldn't have to deal with the 2GB limit anyway smile.gif.

post #6 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Sata cable to SSD and z77 port 0 sata3

Two sided tape prevents duct tape SSD I side case

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Doesn't your motherboard have some SATA ports? Just a simple cheap SATA cable to a SSD velcroed to the side of the case is one option. Is there not a free bay in your case? Even a 5.25" bay would work. I'm sure there are other options, but I don't know your component specs.

In my server I have my OS drive connected to one of my motherboard's SATA connectors. All my data drives are connected to my IBM M1015 SAS card (2x SAS = 8x SATA).

I'm running Windows Server 2012 Essentials so I wouldn't have to deal with the 2GB limit anyway smile.gif.
I have Windows Server 2012 Essentials as well, but the big question is if the OS will show 4TB disks when the OS is installed on the non=UEFI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Sata cable to SSD and z77 port 0 sata3

Two sided tape prevents duct tape SSD I side case

Are you talking about the Sata connection on the outside of the motherboard?

My build thread

post #8 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

What motherboard do you have? There should be four to six SATA ports on the motherboard, usually in what would be the lower front area if installed in a vertical tower case.

post #9 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am using the ASUS Z77 Extreme4. But as I said before, the 2 reverse breakout cables occupy all 8 Sata ports. I am using a NORCO RPC-4224 4U Server case BTW.

My build thread

post #10 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I assumed you were using the breakout cables just for your controller card. Just attach a drive to the case where it matches up to the motherboard's SATA 6Gbps Port 0.

post #11 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

how many drives do you have in this thing?
if you have 8 running off the motherboard, how many running off each controller?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #12 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I assumed you were using the breakout cables just for your controller card. Just attach a drive to the case where it matches up to the motherboard's SATA 6Gbps Port 0.

Forgive my ignorance, but where is the SATA 6Gbps Port 0? On the outside of the MB where you plug the USB etc into?

I have 2 x 0.5m SFF-8087 to Four SATA Reverse Breakout, these 2 break out cables run to the 8 Sata ports.
And 4 x 0.5m SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Cable, these 4 cables run to the 2 controllers.

I will have 24 drives when done.

With the Norco bake plane you only have one option, to use SFF-8087 connectors.

My build thread

post #13 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What am I missing ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #14 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What am I missing ?
I don't know, what am I missing? I edited my above post a few times, you may want to see the updated post though.

My build thread

post #15 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Usually you want an SSD for OS on port 0 of z77 (sata3)

Not on sata 2. Not on the 2 other sata3 ports with alternate controller. You want SSD on z77.

Period.

Stop.

That's how I did mine.

Doing otherwise is doing wrong IMO

-

post #16 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

you could add the ssd to one of the backplanes ports and have 23 remaining data drives. or better yet, can you leave one of the motherboard sata ports open, not connected to the reverse breakout, instead used for the ssd OS to be installed. preferably the port mfusick is talking about.

post #17 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, So what do I do with the left over sata breakout cable? I can't just not have it plugged in can I?

My build thread

post #18 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sure why not?

-

post #19 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

isnt it just like an extension cable, and the backplane an extension adapter? (i may be wrong, so anyone thinks so for sure, smack me on the back of the head)

If I am right, then it should'nt matter if you are on the motherboard port or on the backplane. to keep things clean and looking complete, i would set it up with the reverse breakout cable on port 0 only, leaving everything else not connected, setup the ssd on the correct backplane port, then attach everything else.

post #20 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Really, that is news to me. OK, so I will re-install the OS to a SSD.

That still does not help me much with these dam expansion cards not working on UEFI installed board. So any Windows OS that will show 4TB disks on a normal BIOS install?

My build thread

post #21 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

isnt it just like an extension cable, and the backplane an extension adapter? (i may be wrong, so anyone thinks so for sure, smack me on the back of the head)

If I am right, then it should'nt matter if you are on the motherboard port or on the backplane. to keep things clean and looking complete, i would set it up with the reverse breakout cable on port 0 only, leaving everything else not connected, setup the ssd on the correct backplane port, then attach everything else.
I have no idea how I am going to connect to the back plane when the connections are SFF-8085????

My build thread

post #22 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

8087 ?

-

post #23 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Use a 4 sata to SAS port cable. They make them both forward and reverse style

-

post #24 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There's pics on my server thread I used both

-

post #25 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Use a 4 sata to SAS port cable. They make them both forward and reverse style
If I can just leave one not plugged in, that is much simpler for me.

So What amz I going to do with these expansion cards not working on UEFI installed board. So any Windows OS that will show 4TB disks on a normal BIOS install?

My build thread

post #26 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

So What amz I going to do with these expansion cards not working on UEFI installed board. So any Windows OS that will show 4TB disks on a normal BIOS install?
It should show since you said you got your card flashed correctly.

Use this port for the OS drive. It doesn't have to be a SSD, but I'd dedicate a drive to just the OS.

post #27 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Curious as to why you didn't go with the IBM M1015 if you've been researching around these forums, but on to the question you're asking . . . Yes. 3 and 4 TB disks don't require UEFI unless you are trying to boot from them. Get the boot disk sorted out (I'd suggest trying it in the hot swap bay with all other drives disconnected). Then after a reboot and connection of all drives, you'll just need to add a new simple volume to each one in disk management, select GPT formatting and voila.
post #28 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

Curious as to why you didn't go with the IBM M1015 if you've been researching around these forums, but on to the question you're asking . . . Yes. 3 and 4 TB disks don't require UEFI unless you are trying to boot from them. Get the boot disk sorted out (I'd suggest trying it in the hot swap bay with all other drives disconnected). Then after a reboot and connection of all drives, you'll just need to add a new simple volume to each one in disk management, select GPT formatting and voila.

Dave,

Can you return your expensive sata cards?

I'll flash you an IBM card if you wanted them. No drivers needed for WHS2011. Just slap them into your mobo slot and your good to go wink.gif

3TB suppport not a problem either biggrin.gif

-

post #29 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

It should show since you said you got your card flashed correctly.

Use this port for the OS drive. It doesn't have to be a SSD, but I'd dedicate a drive to just the OS.

Yes!

This:

You will experience faster boot up times and less compatibility issues.

Once you have WHS installed- an IBM card would require no drivers. It would support 3TB+ You just set your drives as GDT disk (MBR won't work for 2TB+)

-

post #30 of 81 Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would recommend you do like I did ( I have Z77 Asrock Extreme3 in my server) and use only the 4 SATA II ports for HDD storage drives. Using a single 4 sata to SAS8087 cable to connect the 4 sata ports on your mobo to the SAS8087 port on your backplane. Then use two IBM cards for the remaining 16 HDD's with (2) SAS8087 ports per card and 4 Sata HDD's per port. That's 20 HDD's. If you really needed more you'd have three more ports available on your motherboard- with another sata to SAS8087 cable for 23 drives--- or you could by a SAS expander and go 40+ HDD's on that hardware.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page