When will the hard drive prices get back to their pre-fall 2011 levels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 214
It used to be fairly easy to find a 2TB hard drive in the $75 price range. Now that's what 1TB is on sale.

3TB and 4TB have fallen in cost, but not 1 and 2. They've gotten more expensive then kind of stabilized over the last 18 months. What gives?

Does it have something to do with the lack of manufacturers/competition?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Tigerdirect actually had a 2TB for $79 today with an $10.00 off coupon. Sold out already though.
Sammy2 likes this.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

It used to be fairly easy to find a 2TB hard drive in the $75 price range. Now that's what 1TB is on sale.

3TB and 4TB have fallen in cost, but not 1 and 2. They've gotten more expensive then kind of stabilized over the last 18 months. What gives?

Does it have something to do with the lack of manufacturers/competition?

First Seagate bought Samsung, and then WD bought Hitachi a year later. Investors cheered at the prospect of keeping ASPs high post-flood due to the avoidance of price wars. Which is pretty much what has happened. Therefore, the Justice Department sues Apple about ebooks.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
usa newegg had the seagate 3tb drives for 109. while newegg canada had them for 149 at the same time. what the....

Will try to add some tech shopping to my list when i head down south for a trip. htpc innards need an upgrade and an itx gaming/workstation rig.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

usa newegg had the seagate 3tb drives for 109. while newegg canada had them for 149 at the same time. what the....

Will try to add some tech shopping to my list when i head down south for a trip. htpc innards need an upgrade and an itx gaming/workstation rig.

VAT?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Newegg had the western digital mybook 3tb for $80 shipped. Prices are dropping as of late. Here is 4TB for $130:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145596&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-External+Hard+Drives-_-N82E16822145596&gclid=CN638YPNgrgCFU_ZQgodHCMAyw

Thank god prices are dropping since my last build (went horrible BTW) I had my two 2TB F4 hard drives in a box and as my dad was turning he knocked the box out of my hands......bye bye F4's. Now will have to settle for a lesser quality HD (f4 were legendary).
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

It's weird how the external HDs often are priced less than internal. The warranty may be less, but the external enclosure has to offset that somewhat. In any case, I only want internal, and I waited several months to get a Seagate internal 4 TB for $149 as I wasn't going to buy the external and rip it apart to get the bare drive. I don't know if the warranty would still be respected once that is done.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

It's weird how the external HDs often are priced less than internal. The warranty may be less, but the external enclosure has to offset that somewhat. In any case, I only want internal, and I waited several months to get a Seagate internal 4 TB for $149 as I wasn't going to buy the external and rip it apart to get the bare drive. I don't know if the warranty would still be respected once that is done.

Warranty would still be respected but might be decreased if the HD has a specific part number. If not a special model (usually the case) then I believe warranty would be the same you could just go off of the build date instead of the receipt if your that worried. I have never warrantied a HD usually fail after the warranty so its not a big deal to me.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1019

OP,

Everytime I see your avatar I always think it's "PIITB" and I laugh.

That said,

I think it's economies of scale. Production these days is in the more popular 3TB and 4TB drives- and that's the modern tech being produced. That is why the cost per TB is cheaper and the drives are better value. Not many people want a 1TB drive when they can buy a 3TB for $99

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

VAT?

nope, thats before tax and shipping. for a few years when the canadian dollar was doing well, we were getting even prices. even 3 months ago we were paying the same. when i checked yesterday, newegg usa had them for 109. just checked and back up to 134. down south they offer the great deals now and then. they dont get as good up here.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

First Seagate bought Samsung, and then WD bought Hitachi a year later. Investors cheered at the prospect of keeping ASPs high post-flood due to the avoidance of price wars. Which is pretty much what has happened. Therefore, the Justice Department sues Apple about ebooks.

Don't forget about the EU suing Microsoft again over giving Europe a usable OS.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Don't forget about the EU suing Microsoft again over giving Europe a usable OS.

I hope someone shows them "Metro" pretty soon.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 150
IE appears on the Metro screen - they will sue over that, to be sure. According to the EU, we should all still have to BUY a web browser in order to view the WWW.