Astonishingly the Echo has virtually disappered from forum discussion. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Astonishingly the Echo has virtually disappered from forum discussion. I noticed I wasn't seeing any more even short Echo Topics and I did a search on Echo in the forum search feature. it looks like a month has already passed. No word from Ceton and nobody here seems to have anything much left to say about it.

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Mods closed the Echo thread. Ceton is trying to silence the negative feedback at TGB as well.

No progress since March. Not one firmware update to fix the known problems going into state of the Echo #3.

Absolutely no communication from Ceton on timing for the mythical Android release. The best we have is this... ,which is absolutely nothing.

The Echo is going the way of 3D Realms Duke Nukem Forever.

Nothing to see here. Keep calm and carry on.
post #3 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am definitely feeling a little burned.
post #4 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
It is over at The Green Button now. Pretty active there.

post #5 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Ceton is working hard on the android release, BTW.

post #6 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Was that a hint of sarcasm?
post #7 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Quote:

Was that a hint of sarcasm?

Not really. I really think that they are but it is taking a long time and after the initial beta for the echo they don't want to say too much this time.

post #8 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

They closed the Echo thread.

If you mean Ceton closed it, you are incorrect. AVSForum mods closed it because it had ceased to be about the Echo and turned into a bunch of people trying to spread FUD about Microsoft.

EDIT: Thanks for the clarification in your post. Pronouns can be troublesome. smile.gif
post #9 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If you mean Ceton closed it, you are woefully incorrect. AVSForum mods closed it because it had ceased to be about the Echo and turned into a bunch of people trying to spread FUD about Microsoft.

Edit my post to clarify mods closed the thread.
post #10 of 53 Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Sammy the eternally optimistic. You are amazing and I don't mean it disrespectfully, really.

I did not start this new thread to create a ruckus I just wondered why there had been zero discussion, now I know there is still nothing to discuss and as down on Ceton as I am they have continued to surprise me with well the total emptiness of their output. Sammy I can't quite figure out are you a tester under NDA or do you have a thing for bridges, swamps and Arizona beachfront property. Dreamers and true believers are what built this country so more power to you. I just wonder if is true something is really going on at Ceton will they get a real deal product out the door before we all came to the conclusion that it is just easier to download the daily build of JRiver and run it on anything with a pulse. Even though JRiver is usually 2 steps back for every 3 forward there is no question of the arc of the product. It finally made my living HTPC for Live TV and I am almost not afraid to load the latest build anymore. I guess both Ceton and JRiver have grand ambitions and one can say waiting on JRiver would be like watching paint dry but at least the movies and music worked well while you waited for TV to catch up.

Sure I bought an EVGA GT 650 TI Boost SC to push cable TV around at high quality in madVR but by gosh it really works. And it looks beautiful. Soon you will be able to plug your x-Write d3 Pro into the USB port and calibrate your TV right in JRiver MC.

In any case you know what I have house full of PCs...... so as much as I wanted a cute little six pack of 10 watt card decks that played WMC and more. I can just grab an HDMI cable from the closet and plug in another PC, my JR license works all over the house. Got to give the JR guys credit they have been working on their attempt to be the multimedia app that does everything and they have stuck at it for 30 years, I think it is bearing fruit. I don't see how any one can continue to wait another 30 weeks for Ceton. BTW I think HD Primes will be working in a few days with JR MC.

Just another blank signature.
post #11 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

IDK, I guess I just believe that the guys at ceton are geeks like us and want to get this product working correctly and are working towards that end. In the mean time mine works well with my HTPC and my Prime for Live/Recorded TV.

Is JRiver working with copy protected content now? I have a lot of channels that are marked such I watch on a regular basis.

post #12 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

If you mean Ceton closed it, you are incorrect. AVSForum mods closed it because it had ceased to be about the Echo and turned into a bunch of people trying to spread FUD about Microsoft.

If you call 'FUD' the truth that MS is no longer actively developing MC, sure.
post #13 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

BTW I think HD Primes will be working in a few days with JR MC.

Without protected content support, right? Cutting out a good chunk of your potential market?
post #14 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

IDK, they actually put some effort into it for Win8 but other than that, no. It is is a relatively mature product but does have its glitches too.

post #15 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I would call the 'effort' put into MC to break compat with existing extenders (and the Echo) way more harm than any mostly invisible improvements that they may have put into it. There are valid reasons why the consensus here and at TGB is to use Win7 for MC.
post #16 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

If you call 'FUD' the truth that MS is no longer actively developing MC, sure.

That myth was already disproven in the other thread. Win8 has a new version number, which means it is a new version. A new version means development. The logic is sound for what we can possibly know right now.

We cannot know if MS is going to do any development for the next OS they release since, well, none of us can see the future. Trust me, if any of us could, we would quickly look for the next powerball numbers, win the powerball, and probably not bother to look and see if MS is going to further develop WMC for the next OS. I can honestly say that would not be in the top 100 items of the future I would look for.

So in short, MS did some development work on WMC between WIn7 and Win8 and all those who claim otherwise (after reading about the version numbers) is lying about it.

That said, if you have some proof MS said they will no longer do any development work on WMC, please post it. I will admit I am wrong if you can provide something other than saying you can see the future.
post #17 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I can see this thread will be locked soon..........
post #18 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I can see this thread will be locked soon..........

Yeah, most likely will be. I simply refuse to let such obviously incorrect FUD be spread. It is obvious (from version numbers) that MS did some development of WMC between Win7 and Win8. It is impossible, currently, to know if MS will do any development of WMC for Win9. Heck, we are not even sure there are no changes to WMC in Win 8.1 (though the current "full change lists" show there are none - it is still a beta so we cannot say for sure).
post #19 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Let's accept that we are all at an impasse with Cybrsage, and leave WMC development out of our Echo discussions. I have no desire to rehash this again. It serves no purpose.
post #20 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Let's accept that we are all at an impasse with Cybrsage, and leave WMC development out of our Echo discussions. I have no desire to rehash this again. It serves no purpose.

By "impasse", if you mean "refuse to accept the truth as shown by cybrsage" and by "all" you mean "a small group of MS Haters" then I agree with you. smile.gif

I was simply giving the reason the other thread was closed, since the question was asked. Then the "MS kicked my puppy so I forever hate them" members started to show up and it again went downhill. It does have a purpose, which is to stop the spread of lies, but you are correct in that it has no purpose in this thread (other than to answer the question the OP asked, as I previously stated).
post #21 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
I think people just want something (like MS advanced development for WMC) and just get angry when they don't get what they want instantly, or there is no confirmation they shall receive it. That does not mean it would never happen, it just means it's not confirmed yet. I have no idea why someone makes the leap from not confirmed to never going to happen ever no matter what. I have not seen much to support either scenario- but doomsday sayers apparently have a crystal ball. Or- they are like children that just throw a tantrum when they don't instantly and automatically get what they want.

Why is is so hard for people to accept when they don't know something - or that information does not exist ? There is no need to make stuff up- just learn to be ok with not knowing something.

And... WTF ! Why is it so popular to bash on MS? I almost universally discredit people when they do that and label them ignorant. It's the easiest way to get logical people to automatically think your a fool.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #22 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

By "impasse", if you mean "refuse to accept the truth as shown by cybrsage" and by "all" you mean "a small group of MS Haters" then I agree with you. smile.gif

I was simply giving the reason the other thread was closed, since the question was asked. Then the "MS kicked my puppy so I forever hate them" members started to show up and it again went downhill. It does have a purpose, which is to stop the spread of lies, but you are correct in that it has no purpose in this thread (other than to answer the question the OP asked, as I previously stated).
No, that is not what I mean by impasse.
post #23 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
And you guys wonder why threads get locked/removed.
post #24 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 AM

Lets try to tie in Windows 8 WMC changes to the thread. Yes, changes were made to WMC because of version and it also changed the behavior of extenders. The Echo is not compatible with Windows 8 WMC at the current firmware. There are no updates of this post from Ceton on the status of the firmware. A March blog post by Ceton indicated a forthcoming firmware will enable support for Windows 8 WMC.
post #25 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Ppl often forget there is an ignore button on this forum.

Back on topic, #1 priority on my list is Windows 8 compatibility so that I can move on to Win8 WMC for my main recording PC. I really want to test out the fast response time from extenders a lot of ppl praised about.
I could care less about Android support at this time. Without touch UI, the usage will be quite limited just like Google TV boxes.
post #26 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Who's hating on MS here? Saying that WMC is for all intents and purposes dead is not a hate on MS, it's a reasonable opinion (based on observations and the disbandment of the eHome group) that some people don't want to accept.

I look forward to this thread being locked too, because any convo about the Echo right now is pointless anyway. Just look at the latest TGB State of the Echo thread to see why.
post #27 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 10
Here go again...boring...if you don't not want to use Windows 8 or Windows at all, no problem
post #28 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Ppl often forget there is an ignore button on this forum.

Back on topic, #1 priority on my list is Windows 8 compatibility so that I can move on to Win8 WMC for my main recording PC. I really want to test out the fast response time from extenders a lot of ppl praised about.
I could care less about Android support at this time. Without touch UI, the usage will be quite limited just like Google TV boxes.

Assume for a moment that android on the echo brings Win8 support.. Oh wait, ceton already thought of that. Doing it is something all together more difficult though and is going to take some time.

post #29 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

We cannot know if MS is going to do any development for the next OS they release since, well, none of us can see the future.

Sure we can I installed Windows 8.1 and WMC... and WMC is still stuck in the mud.

post #30 of 53 Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Assume for a moment that android on the echo brings Win8 support.. Oh wait, ceton already thought of that. Doing it is something all together more difficult though and is going to take some time.

If anything we have learnt in the past from owning an Ehco... don't assume anything.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page