Whats the most economical way to have the internet basic internet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Whats the most economical way to have the internet basic internet?

I live in the USA and am wanting unlimited internet access for like streaming Netflix,Hulu email , forumns ect.

I really don't want any installation folks drilling holes and setting up the net. would prefer just to buy my own wireless router and connect it to the PC w/ a Car 5 cable. are routers the same as cell phones where just subcribe to a internet provider and use there sim card in my router?

I talked to the folks at Verizon the other day thought I could get internet for $20. a month well the truth is if I spent $50. for phone service then I could add the net for $20. I allready have a cell phone so I only want internet.

Thanks for advice

STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
$20 cell phone plans likely will have caps, or be throttled. Depending on the amount of streaming you may burn through that pretty quickly. A cheap DSL or cable plan may have caps as well, but they would be significantly higher than most cellular data plans. A DSL or cable modem can be put most anywhere in a house that already has a phone jack (DSL) or cable outlet (cable) and then a router attached to that if it's not built in. Then you can connect wireless. If you don't have cable jacks or a phone jack where you want to put your modem/router, then a hole likely will have to be drilled.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Cost will depend on what is available where you live and the speed of the connections. For streaming Netflix you will need 3MB/s and in my market with AT&T u-verse when you pay for 6MB/s you are only guaranteed 3MB/s depending on internet traffic. AT&T has both throttling and metering. I am still on DSL light . I don't stream video.However AT&T plans to force me onto u-verse where I will have to rent their modem. My alternative is to switch to a cable provider but the house is not wired for cable. I have not checked but I assume that will get expensive. My market does not have Verizon FIOS.

I currently am paying $28 a month for DSL light. I may get a lower one year introductory rate for u-verse internet. But for 6MB/s and renting the modem I imagine my cost would rise to $50 a month. Therefore, I am considering dropping my land line and switching my home phone to ooma to save the additional money. But I am struggling to get information on how to connect ooma to u-verse and get my other four phones and fax modem to work throughout the house.

The only thing I am sure of is that technology is rushing by me and my long time solutions are no longer viable. The internet providers have bought the politicians and consumers are getting over charged.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I only have Comcast prices in Pittsburgh and they are prices when you have another service (tv or phone) but the cheapest internet is 1mbps and its $27 a month - thats a no go for streaming any kind of quality video. The next bump is $46

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #5 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Cost will depend on what is available where you live and the speed of the connections. For streaming Netflix you will need 3MB/s and in my market with AT&T u-verse when you pay for 6MB/s you are only guaranteed 3MB/s depending on internet traffic. AT&T has both throttling and metering. I am still on DSL light . I don't stream video.However AT&T plans to force me onto u-verse where I will have to rent their modem. My alternative is to switch to a cable provider but the house is not wired for cable. I have not checked but I assume that will get expensive. My market does not have Verizon FIOS.

I currently am paying $28 a month for DSL light. I may get a lower one year introductory rate for u-verse internet. But for 6MB/s and renting the modem I imagine my cost would rise to $50 a month. Therefore, I am considering dropping my land line and switching my home phone to ooma to save the additional money. But I am struggling to get information on how to connect ooma to u-verse and get my other four phones and fax modem to work throughout the house.

The only thing I am sure of is that technology is rushing by me and my long time solutions are no longer viable. The internet providers have bought the politicians and consumers are getting over charged.

I think you mean megabits not bytes. Netflix only needs 3-5mbps.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 229
He said unlimited so that would rule out AT&T due to the data caps. The best price to performance would probably be your local cable provider's internet. Assuming the first half of your location is true then that means the cheapest Comcast plan. You can buy your own modem for ~$80 new or look around for used ones. Depending on the coax at your house you may just be able to bring it home and plug it in then call Comcast to sign you up. Currently Comcast/Xfinity has no data cap, but it used to be 250GB per month.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

I think you mean megabits not bytes. Netflix only needs 3-5mbps.
You are likely correct, my terminology and understanding misses the mark sometimes. Thanks for the correction.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The only service you have any chance of getting that is unlimited and without drilling holes is Clear. However you would be much better off with Cable Modem or DSL service.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #9 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt that Clear will let you go unlimited without hitting the bandwidth throttle on your account. But then again, who knows what he is meaning by unlimited internet access.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You may want to check if there is a fixed wireless ISP in your area. It you have that option, then you can just get Internet connectivity and it is usually not capped. Fixed wireless can go up to 15 Mbps if your ISP network have the right equipment.

I have been using fixed wireless for close to 10 years and every cable or dsl neighbor that have asked me because they are dissatisfied with their ISP service and costs, have switched and never looked back. The only caveat is that they will mount a very small antenna on your roof and it requires a line of sight to their towers.

Still Learning
post #11 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget that the cheapest option would be your neighbor's unsecured WiFi.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Reminds me of an old humorous quote:

"Toll-free, when you call from work."

post #13 of 14 Old 06-29-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

WOW I've got some research to do.
maybe I don't need unlimited, however when I disscussed the Netflix streaming the man at Verihiozn said sounds like you do need unlimited.

The fixed wireless ISP sounds interesting if they allow it, I would be more willing to do the internal wiring myself up to there antenna how big is a fixed wireless ISP's antenna? sounds like it will need to be grounded. However there's always that possiablity of lighting hitting it and burning the house down.

What do you Guy's know about Netzero for $10. a month? http://store.netzero.net/account/selectOfferController.do?offerId=nz-wls-basic-9-95-monthly
is this DSL service required to connected to a cable TV telephone pole or pedestal?

The Netzero plan I link to is a modem doe's this mean it requires a LAN line and is this a dialup service?

sounds kindof good for Ten $ per month but what is 500MB good for?

Yeah Byran it's to bad the neibor had to move.

Thanks Guys for the advice
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #14 of 14 Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

What are you currently using for internet?

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page