MKV to MP4 conversion and compression issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with an issue I'm having.

Trying to convert MKV TV shows that I've ripped from my disc to MP4 (primarily to compress and save space).

The issue I'm having with the resulting file is that while the audio plays fine, the video seems to play much faster as if it's being fast forwarded.

I'm using RipBot264 to do this. I've set it to resize the video and not change the output speed (FPS).

It also did this when I tried Handbrake.

Any thoughts as to what's going wrong here?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Any suggestions?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had problems with RipBot264 when using 720P files for playing at the wrong speed or audio video sync way off. I usually use MEgui with 720P files with no problems, but it is more complicated to use. You would probably get more answers on the thread on the Doom9.org forum.

Mike T
post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I haven't used RipBot264, but I use Total Video Convertor with no issues.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I use the normal preset in handbrake to convert my MKV files to MP4 with a few minor changes to the settings:
  • Anamorphic set to strict
  • Decomb set to default
  • Framerate set to same as source (this can sometimes cause audio and video to become desynchronised if you try to force a specific framerate)
  • Constant Quality to 22 (20 gives a slightly better image but takes a little longer and yields a larger file size, It depends what looks better for you).
  • Audio I generally use ACC(faac) mixed down to stereo as I don't have surround sound setup. You could set this to AC3 passthu or DTS passthru if you wanted to retain the original score.
  • I select create chapter markers as this generally means I can easily skip the opening credits and overview of previous episode. It only adds a couple of kB to the file size.
  • I only add subtitles to MP4 for non-englished forced sections, which is not many, and then burn them in.
  • I don't touch any of the advanced settings.

This generally gets a 1.5GB episode down to 400-500MB. The size could be reduced further by going to a quality of 24, but I find it starts becoming a little more pixelated.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I had the similar experiences with recompress TV shows with Handbrake in the past. The problem is that TV shows are typically need to be de-interlaced first before it can be re-compressed.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with an issue I'm having.

Trying to convert MKV TV shows that I've ripped from my disc to MP4 (primarily to compress and save space).

The issue I'm having with the resulting file is that while the audio plays fine, the video seems to play much faster as if it's being fast forwarded.

I'm using RipBot264 to do this. I've set it to resize the video and not change the output speed (FPS).

It also did this when I tried Handbrake.

Any thoughts as to what's going wrong here?

Thanks.
Check your deinterlace settings.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page