Upgrade From the Stock Cooler! - Noctua NH-L9 CPU Cooler (Noise Test included) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20

I thought that I'd give the Intel Haswell stock cooler a chance in my new Haswell HTPC upgrade. For the most part, it did the job, however, there was noticeable room for improvement. I had bought the Noctua NH-L9i CPU Cooler prior to my Haswell mobo and CPU purchase knowing that these things would probably be hard to find in stock after Haswell's release. It was definitely worth the purchase! My temps are significantly lower than those that the Intel Haswell stock cooler produced, and the noise level is much more pleasant. The Noctua NH-L9i produces a most pleasant white noise that relaxes me very much, and is pleasantly quiet. Ahhh, time to sleep... smile.gif

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Hang onto your receipt. If you ever need to upgrade your motherboard with a newer model CPU and socket you can get the adapters for the cooler from Noctua for free with proof of purchase. I've upgraded my CPU 2 or 3 times since I bought my Noctua cooler several years ago and they sent me the upgraded brackets every time at no cost.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How weird. I just upgraded my bedroom HTPC with an intel haswell and this cooler. Also a new wesena case and a asrock mobo...basically an altogether new unit.

I also bought a PWM Noctua 80mm fan

SO.DAMN.QUIET
post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Hang onto your receipt. If you ever need to upgrade your motherboard with a newer model CPU and socket you can get the adapters for the cooler from Noctua for free with proof of purchase. I've upgraded my CPU 2 or 3 times since I bought my Noctua cooler several years ago and they sent me the upgraded brackets every time at no cost.

They are great about this for their mounts, but this cooler is different. The intel version doesn't use a separate backplate at all, just 4 screws directly into the heatsink. This is a good thing for some itx boards that have a ton of rear mounted chips. (my DQ77KB for example has almost as many surface mounted bgas on both sides)

This cooler is meant to be a direct drop in, guaranteed-compatible (but higher performing) replacement for the stock cooler as it follows the exact same keep-out zones intel designates for onboard chips.

I don't think it will ever be compatible with another socket that deviates from the 1156/1155/1150 hole dimensions, but it looks like intel will be using this size on the desktop for quite awhile.

The amd version does use the standard backplate, but amd has kept that identical for awhile as well. (from 939/940/AM1-3+/FM1-2+ so far)

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #5 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Nice timely information for me. smile.gif Just bought a used silver Wesena e5 and have a black e5 coming.
Both will be m-ITX and the black one will be a Haswell build and be rack mounted.

So thanks for all the information here!
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Nice timely information for me. smile.gif Just bought a used silver Wesena e5 and have a black e5 coming.
Both will be m-ITX and the black one will be a Haswell build and be rack mounted.

So thanks for all the information here!

Thank you, and enjoy your new Haswell build!

WANTED: 16:10 120Hz monitors for triple surround gaming/Google Earth browsing.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page