CPU 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay I know this isn't technically a troubleshooting forum but I thought those who have built a lot more htpcs than me might have a good feel for what has happened.

My build is based on a ASROCK h77 pro4-m motherboard with an i5-2750k ivy bridge chip. It is in a Silverstone gd07b case( big gargantuan thing). It has been running fine....I stress tested it for a week...blah blah blah until yesterday.

I was cleaning around the case with a paper towel that was damp. I took off the dust cover and started wiping the grill the sits on the case over the case fan...computer immediately cut out.

Will not start at all...I get the light to flash on the fans, cd drive spin for a second and then stop. I have eliminated everything but psu (it turns on with paperclip but still could be issue) motherboard and cpu. What does everyone think? frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 32
You shorted something out, while working on it live. A very expensive life lesson, that I hope you will not do again, when you get the new motherboard, power supply or both to replace what you blew.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrommert View Post

Okay I know this isn't technically a troubleshooting forum but I thought those who have built a lot more htpcs than me might have a good feel for what has happened.

My build is based on a ASROCK h77 pro4-m motherboard with an i5-2750k ivy bridge chip. It is in a Silverstone gd07b case( big gargantuan thing). It has been running fine....I stress tested it for a week...blah blah blah until yesterday.

I was cleaning around the case with a paper towel that was damp. I took off the dust cover and started wiping the grill the sits on the case over the case fan...computer immediately cut out.

Will not start at all...I get the light to flash on the fans, cd drive spin for a second and then stop. I have eliminated everything but psu (it turns on with paperclip but still could be issue) motherboard and cpu. What does everyone think? frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

You shorted something out, while working on it live. A very expensive life lesson, that I hope you will not do again, when you get the new motherboard, power supply or both to replace what you blew.

Well I can rma the board...the board is floating though...how on earth did I kill it by touching the case
post #4 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 32
Static Electricity, along with most likely bad Earth ground in your place that you are using the computer at. Regardless, you should never work on a computer or any electronics live, and also suggest calling an electrician in to go over the distribution system where you live, to make sure the sytem and outlets are properly grounded.

I have never had any units go bad when cleaning them. Then again I always have them powered down and make sure I do not have any static buildup in myself, by touching the chassis while it is still plugged in but turned off.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha...thanks for the tip...testing the psu when I get my hands on a different one
post #6 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have a graphics card? I've had several PC's fail this way and it was the graphics card.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

no I have a card I may incorporate, but I have been running from beginning using the hd4000 for video acceleration. I had a tuner card but I removed that and tested without it
post #8 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
This is probably a dumb comment, but are you certain you simply didn't unseat some wire or connector by accident when you were wiping around inside? Is everything firmly plugged in where it should be?

I'm having a hard time believing wiping off that fan grill would short anything out.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Trust me i'm having a hard time believing it too, but it seemed to happen...I wasn't even inside the case...this was the outside of the case...perhaps i knocked something else and it only seemed like the wiping was the issue.

I have reseated the cpu...taken everything off the board other than the cpu and ram...took the ram out...reseated the power...checked the screws...nothing
post #10 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Did a screw or other part roll under the mainboard? It sounds like the PS is sensing a short and shutting down.

Did you reseat both the 24-pin and the 4/8 pin ATX MB connectors from the PS?

Have you tried resetting CMOS. Maybe the BIOS settings got corrupted when the machine shut down.

Is there a speaker (buzzer) connected to the mainboard? Usually the BIOS will beep an error code. Some boards have an LED status readout.

If none of that works, substituting a known-good power supply with no PCI cards, disks, or DVD drives and one stick of memory is a good next step. You'll need to have a display connected and hope for a BIOS display. If that works, you can start adding devices back one at a time.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Okay update...I have tested psu and mother board.. They both seem to be good. I had no idea that a bad cpu could make my computer do this but perhaps it can. Any guidance would be helpful.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
How did you test the motherboard?

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #13 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 15
discharge any currents on the board, remove the cpu then remove mobo battery for thirty minutes, re-insert the battery and cpu and try again.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

So I bought a new motherboard to test and breadboarded it. Hooked up test speaker power and CPU. exactly the same problem as with the other motherboard....power for a second and then turn off. I have tested the psu because I hooked up another psu and same thing happened. Memory could be an issue but then it would at least give a beep, but no beep no nothing.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

done all of those things...the cmos battery was actually out for 24 hours at one point and I cleared the cmos with jumpers...I am testing the cpu today but I always thought that a computer will at least do something if the motherboard is good...a bad cpu isn't supposed to make it do nothing
post #16 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 15
cpu can cause mobo to do many weird things, replace it.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I'm doing tonight...build computers for years...this is the weirdest thing that has ever happened
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page