End of Technet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess too many people pirated their service and now those of us who actually used it are going to pay the price. Anyone surprised?
Quote:

Microsoft is retiring the TechNet Subscription service.

As IT trends and business dynamics have evolved, so has Microsoft’s set of offerings for IT professionals who are looking to learn, evaluate and deploy Microsoft technologies and services. In recent years, we have seen a usage shift from paid to free evaluation experiences and resources. As a result, Microsoft has decided to retire the TechNet Subscriptions service and will discontinue sales on August 31, 2013.

Additional Information:
More background on Microsoft’s decision to retire the TechNet Subscription service and the implications for current subscribers is available on the TechNet Subscriptions Retirement FAQ page.

Subscribers with active accounts may continue to access program benefits until their current subscription period concludes.

We are committed to helping customers through this transition phase and will remain focused on providing IT professionals with free access to a broad set of TechNet assets that support the needs of IT professionals around the world.

Improved Free Offerings for IT Professionals Include:
•TechNet Evaluation Center: Free evaluation software with no feature limits, available for 30-180 days. Includes rich evaluation resources and TechNet Virtual Labs, which enable you to evaluate software without the need to install bits locally.
•Microsoft Virtual Academy: Free online learning site, with over 200 expert-led technical training courses across more than 15 Microsoft technologies with more added weekly.
•TechNet Forums: Free online forums where IT professionals can ask technical questions and receive rapid responses from members of the community.

Please note, MSDN Subscriptions provide a paid set of offerings that are also available for those who require access to evaluation software beyond what the above free offerings provide.

Thank you for your understanding as we increase focus on growing and investing in our free offerings to better meet the needs of the IT professional community.

Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies.

- TechNet Subscription Team

Microsoft respects your privacy. Review our online Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA, USA 98052

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM

I'm pretty bummed. I just signed up this year.

on another topic, I wish Microsoft would come up with a better licensing model for those of us with multi-pc households. I own licenses for each of my pc's but it's expensive buying individual licenses.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That is a bummer. I hope we see the return of the family pack. I could live with that.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pirates are still going to pirate. They just want more money from people like you. Windows8, Office, Xbone, now Technet, this is just the latest stop on MS's sticking it to consumers tour.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post

Pirates are still going to pirate. They just want more money from people like you. Windows8, Office, Xbone, now Technet, this is just the latest stop on MS's sticking it to consumers tour.

Actually, you can blame Apple and Google for that... smile.gif Microsoft used to be content making a "decent" amount of money from their software sales. Problem is, folks like Apple and Google are literally giving away their software (which is exactly what Microsoft did 2 decades ago, to kill the competition. Karma is a bitch), and Microsoft is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Apple and Google can give away their software but make money from services and content, and they make a lot of money from that, Microsoft just has software (and to a lesser degree, the Xbox, but that's a whole another story), and they are getting killed.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Getting killed? Their online services division is raking in the cash. Between Azure and the Office online products they are in no way in trouble.

In fact, it's pretty amazing how they moved all their on-premise software to the cloud is such a short time.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Getting killed? Their online services division is raking in the cash. Between Azure and the Office online products they are in no way in trouble.

In fact, it's pretty amazing how they moved all their on-premise software to the cloud is such a short time.
Ever read their Quarterly earnings statements, and compared them to Apple/Google?? smile.gif
Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Actually, you can blame Apple and Google for that... smile.gif Microsoft used to be content making a "decent" amount of money from their software sales. Problem is, folks like Apple and Google are literally giving away their software (which is exactly what Microsoft did 2 decades ago, to kill the competition. Karma is a bitch), and Microsoft is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Apple and Google can give away their software but make money from services and content, and they make a lot of money from that, Microsoft just has software (and to a lesser degree, the Xbox, but that's a whole another story), and they are getting killed.

Amazingly enough, Microsoft was sued for giving people free things...
colohtpc likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Well if getting killed means:
Quote:
Microsoft Reports Record Revenue of $21.5 Billion in Second Quarter
Strong business demand and key product launches drive record revenue.

The Windows Division posted revenue of $5.88 billion, a 24% increase from the prior year period. Adjusting for the net deferral of revenue for the Windows Upgrade Offer and the recognition of the previously deferred revenue from Windows 8 Pre-sales, Windows Division non-GAAP revenue increased 11% for the second quarter. Microsoft has sold over 60 million Windows 8 licenses to date.
http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY13/Q2/default.aspx

Then I have to wonder what you call it when companies are actually failing! I wish I was getting killed like Microsoft is. wink.gif

EDIT: I just looked it up, if Microsoft was a country it would be about 65th on the list for GNP. THAT is a lot of money!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Liked: 13
Yeah MS is not getting killed, Apple and Google aren't either. So haters and fanboys, can just stop. The IT world changes faster than most and big players do actually fade and grow but these three are still leaders, The IT universe is growing we still have IBM CA, SAP and Oracle too all surviving, providing jobs and making profits contrary to stories of their demise. In my experience most all of the TechNet content is available with a quick Google or (bing, ha) search, training is on line, software is mostly available as a trial.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

They are also not even the same companies so a direct comparison isn't possible. It's like comparing Microsoft to Exxon. They are getting killed by them as well.

Apple is a pure devices company and sells next to zero enterprise software and limited services (consumer only).

Google is 100% an advertising company. Every platform they make available is free and is used to target ads. That's it.
colohtpc likes this.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It's a real shame MS are phasing out the Technet Subscription service. No matter what there 'official' reasons are (and they are rubbish), it's likely that the service was abused by many, but truthfully, it's a drop in the ocean compared to everything else. Our company has been a Technet Pro subscriber for over 10 years, and made use of it many times, so it will be sorry to see it go.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colohtpc View Post

Yeah MS is not getting killed, Apple and Google aren't either. So haters and fanboys, can just stop. The IT world changes faster than most and big players do actually fade and grow but these three are still leaders, The IT universe is growing we still have IBM CA, SAP and Oracle too all surviving, providing jobs and making profits contrary to stories of their demise. In my experience most all of the TechNet content is available with a quick Google or (bing, ha) search, training is on line, software is mostly available as a trial.

Exactly correct. TechNet has had a long, good run, but now you can download it faster than you can wait for the DVDs to arrive.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Exactly correct. TechNet has had a long, good run, but now you can download it faster than you can wait for the DVDs to arrive.

We have not been waiting for the DVD's to arrive for some time now. I'm downloading from TechNet at 100Mb/S.

The end of this service has everything to do with Microsoft's concerns about the growing trend over the past 2 years of people buying these subscriptions and selling the keys. Notice that MSDN is not going away. So they are not willing to risk you selling the keys for $249, but for several times that amount they'll risk it (for now?). Yes MSDN keys are for sale too. So we will see what happens there.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerpat View Post

on another topic, I wish Microsoft would come up with a better licensing model for those of us with multi-pc households. I own licenses for each of my pc's but it's expensive buying individual licenses.

I just buy recycled OEM versions of Windows 7, which usually come pretty cheap.
Ever since a court ruled that its perfectly legal to sell the OEM copies that ship with PCs (at least in my country), a lot of sellers popped up that sell Win 7 Professional that was originally packaged with some Business PC or Laptop, but the business in question had their own volume license so it was never needed/used.

You can even get them on Amazon through their Marketplaces. You don't get a fancy box and the DVD is usually branded by DELL or HP or something, but its a clean license.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What country are you in?

Disappointed in this myself, was just about to sign up.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Well, question. For all the people in this thread, how many people were actually using it for its intended purpose?
Quote:
You may not use the software if you do not have an active subscription.
You may install and use the software on your devices only to evaluate the software.
You may not use the software in a live operating environment, in a staging environment, or with data that has not been backed up.
You may not use the software for software development or in an application development environment.
The components of each software program are licensed as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on different devices.
You may not share, transfer, resell, or assign your subscription or the software.

So you're not supposed to be using it on production devices, and you're not supposed to use the software if your subscription lapses. Most people though, tend to ignore both of those rules. I don't know of very many people who subscribed to evaluate software in a non-production environment; most use it as a way to get a crapload of Microsoft licenses for cheap, even though it still is a legally gray area. Can anyone really blame Microsoft for ending it with that being the case?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I can blame them for not offering a product that would allow me to do that. As I get more and more into building out networks for my home, trying more advanced stuff, I'd gladly pay $240 a year to be able to install any msft os on any of my machines. They'd make far more money off me than they do now and I'd be a happier customer. Makes too much sense to happen though

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
So after the retirement date, will MS invalidate all Technet product keys?
Meaning re activation not possible?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 AM

While we can never be certain of anything, we can use other MS programs as a guide. I had an IEEE membership which included the Microsoft Download center (cannot remember its name now). Using this, I was able to get a free copy of Windows 7 Pro. When my membership expired my copy was not suddenly turned off by MS. I no longer had a valid license at that point, so I had to uninstall it, but MS did not make it no longer work. As a test, I recently reinstalled it and it activated fine.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

So after the retirement date, will MS invalidate all Technet product keys?
Meaning re activation not possible?

The keys will continue to be valid, from what I have read on this. De-activating keys is a big PITA on their end as I understand it.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Yes, they must be suffering terribly because of all those pirates ... but how come with all this apparent pirating : "Microsoft announces record Q4, $18.06 billion in revenue in 2012" ???
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Because investors want to see record profits each quarter, not just once. Piracy may be impacting the bottom line and removing the Technet program will help?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkusol View Post

Yes, they must be suffering terribly because of all those pirates ... but how come with all this apparent pirating : "Microsoft announces record Q4, $18.06 billion in revenue in 2012" ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Because investors want to see record profits each quarter, not just once. Piracy may be impacting the bottom line and removing the Technet program will help?

Yep, Revenue and Profit are not the same thing. They are related, but having a lot of one does not mean a lot of the other. Often you will see them both rise or fall together, but not always. You can have dropping revenue but increasing profits (hard to do) or you can have increasing revenue and dropping profits (very easy to do). If we stop to look at it, the profit margin on TechNet is very small - and is miniscule compared to the profit on each of the individual items contained in TechNet. Add the loss of easy piracy via TechNet and you have your most probable reason for its removal.
Quote:
Summary:

1.“Profit” can be defined as the difference between the money generated from the sale of services or goods or the use of assets and capital associated with an organization or company or individual after the expenses or costs are deducted. 2.“Revenue” is defined as the total amount generated by a company without taking out expenses for services provided or goods sold within a particular time frame.
http://www.differencebetween.net/business/economics-business/difference-between-profit-and-revenue/#ixzz2YTqpuDqR
Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think we all know it is because of abuse and piracy. I returned to college studying computer science about 2 years ago, graduating this spring, and TechNet was a godsend. While my school offered many programs or MS offered others online for free via dreamspark, TechNet rounded out what I usually could not get. A large part of my interest is in database technology and having access to the different variations of SQL Server has been great from basics to building SSIS packages. Same with all of the different server systems. I have been happily paying my subscription for years now, and was planning to continue so I could stay ahead of the curve. Now I am looking at $1200-$14K per year for MSDN on my own.

Forget that. The real question is how much are they really saving by doing this considering folks looking more closely at non MS alternatives as a result? I think a better solution would have been more regulation on who could subscribe rather than just a complete kill of the program.

In terms of keys, I don't think they will expire anytime soon. I would also question the legitimacy of killing keys that were provided before their change of their EULA a few years ago. Originally, the keys were yours to keep even after cancellation which was a selling point of it.

My plan is to just download basically everything to a server, and store my keys in a secure place (like my skydrive biggrin.gif)

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

I think we all know it is because of abuse and piracy. I returned to college studying computer science about 2 years ago, graduating this spring, and TechNet was a godsend. While my school offered many programs or MS offered others online for free via dreamspark, TechNet rounded out what I usually could not get. A large part of my interest is in database technology and having access to the different variations of SQL Server has been great from basics to building SSIS packages. Same with all of the different server systems. I have been happily paying my subscription for years now, and was planning to continue so I could stay ahead of the curve. Now I am looking at $1200-$14K per year for MSDN on my own.

Forget that. The real question is how much are they really saving by doing this considering folks looking more closely at non MS alternatives as a result? I think a better solution would have been more regulation on who could subscribe rather than just a complete kill of the program.

In terms of keys, I don't think they will expire anytime soon. I would also question the legitimacy of killing keys that were provided before their change of their EULA a few years ago. Originally, the keys were yours to keep even after cancellation which was a selling point of it.

My plan is to just download basically everything to a server, and store my keys in a secure place (like my skydrive biggrin.gif)

The thing about piracy is, people who are going to pirate aren't going to be converted to paying customers. Those who tried to profit by re-selling keys really can't amount to much. Even a couple hundred thousand licenses of Windows 7/8 doesn't amount to all that much for Microsoft, and no serious business would risk using a non-legit copy of any of the Server products in a production environment.

There is no financial upside to this for Microsoft. This is a short-sighted beancounter kind of move. IT folks who want to study for new certifications but now either have to deal with the significant restrictions on the "trial" versions of software or fork over $10k+ for an MSDN license will be inclined to start looking at learning Linux and various other free alternatives. That will lead to further adoption of free software in small/medium businesses.

I'm fortunate that my work pays for my MSDN subscription, which I've made good use of on my home lab, and have learned quite a lot from. If I had not had access to that, you can bet my lab would be Linux based instead of Server 2012 based.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

The thing about piracy is, people who are going to pirate aren't going to be converted to paying customers. ad2r Those who tried to profit by re-selling keys really can't amount to much. Even a couple hundred thousand licenses of Windows 7/8 doesn't amount to all that much for Microsoft, and no serious business would risk using a non-legit copy of any of the Server products in a production environment.

There is no financial upside to this for Microsoft. This is a short-sighted beancounter kind of move. IT folks who want to study for new certifications but now either have to deal with the significant restrictions on the "trial" versions of software or fork over $10k+ for an MSDN license will be inclined to start looking at learning Linux and various other free alternatives. That will lead to further adoption of free software in small/medium businesses.

I'm fortunate that my work pays for my MSDN subscription, which I've made good use of on my home lab, and have learned quite a lot from. If I had not had access to that, you can bet my lab would be Linux based instead of Server 2012 based.
I'm using is genuine, this can protect my computer data security