Commercial removal with Bigasoft's WTV converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone any experience doing this?

Instructions are very minimal and I don't seem to be able to trim multiple segments. I think you should be able to trim the various segments and them combine the trimmed segments into a final product.

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I've been using the VideoReDo trial the past couple days. It has a joiner function where you can add any number of selections from any number of source files and make one file out of them. Works really well and have a lot of fine tuning options I really didn't expect. Great product overall with a very nice layout.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx, itznfb.

I've been trying VideoReDo for a few days. I have no serious issues with it but I've used WTV Converter for several years for converting our WTV files for streaming from the server through our Sony SMP-N100 media streamer.

Although WTV files will stream, FF/FR doesn't work well; so I'm looking for a way to strip the ads then we don't have to FF. I've tried MCE Buddy but it is slow for decent quality conversions and the ad detection leaves a lot to be desired. However, Ad Detective in VRD isn't very good either but the manual detection is simple and fast. Then the removal is fast. Usually about 5 minutes for the typical 1 hour HDTV show. It is still WTV but the Sony streams the WTV file without a problem.

I don't convert with VRD because the conversion to H.264 MP4 is slow (about 1 1/2 hours for the 1 hour show). Also, the Sony doesn't stream H.264 MP4; so if I want to convert and shrink a show I have to convert to HD XVID(VRD doesn't do any AVI). WTV Converter converts and compresses a 1 hour HDTV show to H.264 MP4 in about 30 minutes.

Since I already own a copy of WTV Converter, I've been trying to use it's cutting tool before investing $100 in VRD.

Wayne
post #4 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Have you looked at MC-TVConverter or MCEBuddy?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #5 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 AM

Liked: 27
Hmmm, MC-TVConverter looks interesting. Anybody have much experience with this? Specifically, how's the commercial cutting?
post #6 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

Hmmm, MC-TVConverter looks interesting. Anybody have much experience with this? Specifically, how's the commercial cutting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-TVConverter 
Automatically remove commercials from MPEG2-streams

If it lists removing commercials specifically from mpeg2 as a feature does that mean it can't remove them from mpeg4?

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #7 of 15 Old 07-06-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Found out how to remove commercials using WTV Converter by Bigasoft.

You have to add as many copies of the file as the number of trims, trim them sequentially and then there is an option to merge the trimmed files.

Not as convenient as VideoReDo but the it is only 30% of the cost of the H.264 VideoReDo product and the conversion to H.264 with Bigasoft is faster.

Wayne
post #8 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1935 View Post

Found out how to remove commercials using WTV Converter by Bigasoft.

You have to add as many copies of the file as the number of trims, trim them sequentially and then there is an option to merge the trimmed files.

Not as convenient as VideoReDo but the it is only 30% of the cost of the H.264 VideoReDo product and the conversion to H.264 with Bigasoft is faster.

Wayne

How do you add a second video file after the first commercial break?

2x HDHomeRun Prime - 3CC
Sharp 65" TV; Sharp 46" TV; Panasonic 42" TV; Sony 40" TV; Sony 32" TV
WMC HTPC Server: Intel Celeron G1840, 4GB RAM, MSI H81M-P33, 1TB
Main HTPC: Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 3TB
XB360 WMC Extender, Ceton Echo, Roku 3, Apple TV 3
post #9 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

macman13,

From Bigasoft customer support:

To trim multiple pcs of the same video, please add multiple times of the same video. That is to say, if you want to trim 5 pcs of the same video, please add the video 5 five times to Bigasoft Total Video Converter. Then trim each part on each video. Please click OK each time you finished the trimming.

To merge the 5 trimmed clips into one, please selected the 5 videos and right click to choose "Merge Selected into One".

With WTV Converter you trim the show area (not the commercial area as in VideoReDo). It is actually fairly quick once you get the hang of it. The merge is very quick. I don't usually bother to remove commercials but I usually do convert with WTV Converter because our Sony media player doesn't handle .WTV files directly; so I have to covert to XVID if I want to stream or to H.264 if I want to play the file from a USB external device. The conversions are fairly fast. A I hour HDTV show (about 6GB with our cable) converts in 40 - 45 minutes to H.264 but the file is still almost 4GB (video bitrate = 8000). I don't remember how long the XVID conversion takes.

Wayne
post #10 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

macman13,

From Bigasoft customer support:

To trim multiple pcs of the same video, please add multiple times of the same video. That is to say, if you want to trim 5 pcs of the same video, please add the video 5 five times to Bigasoft Total Video Converter. Then trim each part on each video. Please click OK each time you finished the trimming.

To merge the 5 trimmed clips into one, please selected the 5 videos and right click to choose "Merge Selected into One".

With WTV Converter you trim the show area (not the commercial area as in VideoReDo). It is actually fairly quick once you get the hang of it. The merge is very quick. I don't usually bother to remove commercials but I usually do convert with WTV Converter because our Sony media player doesn't handle .WTV files directly; so I have to covert to XVID if I want to stream or to H.264 if I want to play the file from a USB external device. The conversions are fairly fast. A I hour HDTV show (about 6GB with our cable) converts in 40 - 45 minutes to H.264 but the file is still almost 4GB (video bitrate = 8000). I don't remember how long the XVID conversion takes.

Wayne

Thanks!

I found this after a quick search, 40% off coupon for Bigasoft WTV Converter:
http://www.biggestcouponcode.com/discount/bigasoft-wtv-converter/

2x HDHomeRun Prime - 3CC
post #11 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good deal. I bought it a couple years ago for $30 (which I believe is the current price); so for $18 it is probably worth playing around with.

I don't have any complaints about the product and their support is fantastic. I've gotten replies in 24 hours or less. I believe they are in China because english seems to be their second language.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Liked: 14
MCEbuddy speed tips and comskip improvement
  • Add ShowAnalyzer
  • Match the settings to original frame width (avoid trans-sizing)
  • Use 1 pass rather than 2
post #13 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I've used MCE Buddy in the past, and just recently, both with Showanalyzer and the improved comskip . Commercial removal leaves a lot to be desired unless I want to try to make a custom .ini file for each channel or maybe each show. I've given up on trying to use any of the automated commercial removal tools (read VideoReDo Ad Detective also).

The auto features miss a lot of commercials and frequently cuts part of the show. However it is nice just to set everything to auto and have everything done in the AM after the PM recordings.

Maybe I'm not using the correct settings in MCE Buddy but it takes about 3 hours to convert to MP4(Fast) and remove commercials with MCE Buddy even with CUDA supposedly included. Also, MCE Buddy .avi conversions will not stream from the server to the TV using our Sony Media Player. Even with WTV Converter I have to convert to XVID because DIVX conversions are not supported by the Sony.

Bigasoft's WTV Converter supports CUDA and I think the AMD equivalent.

Wayne
post #14 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:

I've used MCE Buddy in the past, and just recently, both with Showanalyzer and the improved comskip . Commercial removal leaves a lot to be desired unless I want to try to make a custom .ini file for each channel or maybe each show. I've given up on trying to use any of the automated commercial removal tools (read VideoReDo Ad Detective also).

The auto features miss a lot of commercials and frequently cuts part of the show. However it is nice just to set everything to auto and have everything done in the AM after the PM recordings.

Maybe I'm not using the correct settings in MCE Buddy but it takes about 3 hours to convert to MP4(Fast) and remove commercials with MCE Buddy even with CUDA supposedly included. Also, MCE Buddy .avi conversions will not stream from the server to the TV using our Sony Media Player. Even with WTV Converter I have to convert to XVID because DIVX conversions are not supported by the Sony.

Bigasoft's WTV Converter supports CUDA and I think the AMD equivalent.

Wayne

My VideoReDo trial is about to expire, and I am considering getting the Bigasoft WTV converter. I read that they are a scam company though. Is this true?

2x HDHomeRun Prime - 3CC
post #15 of 15 Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman13 View Post

My VideoReDo trial is about to expire, and I am considering getting the Bigasoft WTV converter. I read that they are a scam company though. Is this true?

I don't know about Bigasoft being a scam. Please elaborate.

I can tell you that I have not been bothered by them for anything in the 2+ years I've been using their product. No nagging - period and I haven't seen any increase in junk mail.

The only communication I get from Bigasoft is if I contact them.
Reply Home Theater Computers