Intel HD4600 vs Radeon 3650??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have been using my htpc for about 5 years. It is an e8400 using a powercolor fanless Radeon 3650 with 512MB GDDR2. I know. What a screaming machine, right? :-)

I am using the DVI out with a DVI/VGA dongle to the VGA input of my 52" Sony XBR. This has worked for many years and done quite a nice job. We have many standard def files that we run at 1080 on the tv and they look stellar. I usually cannot tell the difference between a standard def copy of a show and a full 1080p copy.

I wanted to update it and run off hdmi (so I don't have to switch the audio input). I figured that with a 5 year difference that I could get a new Haswell and the latest graphics from Intel would be better than my 5yo graphics card. Unfortunately I think I may have been very mistaken. I built the machine and ran the same file we just watched the night before on Radeon and it looked horrible. Extremely grainy.

So was my assumption wrong? Would an old dedicated gpu with 512MB of ram still do better than the brand new Haswell 4600 graphics engine? Or do I just need to tweak the drivers/settings?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh. A simple search would have given me the answer I needed. I wish I had done this before dumping $150+ on the mobo, cpu, and mem. Sigh.
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1438&gid2=191&compare=intel-hd-graphics-4600-desktop-vs-radeon-hd-3650
post #3 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Oxn

Thanks for your help.

I was about to make a HTPC with the 4600IGP, hoping it would be enough.

But now I can buy the cheaper ivy bridge version and get myself a Low profile 7750 GPU, and come out on top and save myself some money.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If you are not gaming, the Intel IGP will do at least as well as the old 3650, and probably better. Plus you will be able to bitstream HD lossless sound, which the old Radeon will not do. I think you need to do some Tweaking, Mike!wink.gif
Plenty of posts and guides here to tell you how to do that.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Really, jdcrox? That's what I would have thought. It made no sense that 5yo technology would be beating brand new, even if it's a dedicated card vs integrated graphics.

But looking at the comparison on that page I posted, it appears that the card has a lot more going for it. Especially in GPU Display. But as you stated, I'm not gaming at all. It's strictly video. The most important task is upconverting to 1080p. Can the HD4600 compete with the card in that? I guess I'll have to read up.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

I can't seem to find anything about tweaking Intel 4600 settings. I have no idea why my display looks so horrible. Even the icons are pixelated. And reading a few more articles, the Haswell should be a lot better than my old card. Folks seem to say that HD 4600 should be between Radeon HD6570 and HD6670. That's a ton better than my 3650. I have to be doing something wrong.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by petronin View Post

I can't seem to find anything about tweaking Intel 4600 settings. I have no idea why my display looks so horrible. Even the icons are pixelated.

Hmmm... check the simple things like the output resolution is set properly to 1080p on the new HTPC. Make sure the TV says it's receiving a 1080p signal. Check for overscan/underscan on the desktop (the edges of the desktop should align perfectly with the edges of your display.)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page