HTPC Takes Up to 10 Minutes to Load a Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having an issue with my main HTPC that I need some help on. Often times when I click on a video in Media Browser, the loading icon will just spin and spin for sometimes up to ten minutes, then the video will load and play fine. It does not do this all the time and seems to do it more often when finishing a program and then starting a new one. I also will get an error that says the video is not configured correctly and the TV Tuner will not load. A restart resolves the TV issue. I have reformatted the OS drive, ran a Drive Fitness Test on all drives, and ran Memtest on the RAM. All came up clean. I have data drives on this machine as well and when I load a show on my secondary HTPC from a drive housed in the main machine, it will load with no problems. My guesses would be either the OS solid state drive or the CPU, but I'm not real sure on how to check them out without just replacing them and seeing if it improves.

Any ideas of what the issue is or how to test for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Are the movies that take a long time to load stored locally on the HTPC or on a network share?

What codec pack did you install? What kind of format are these movies in? AVI? MKV?

Are you using the built-in player that comes in Media Center or are you using an external player such as MPC-HC?
post #3 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I had this same exact issue on my current HTPC build, very similar setup to yours (SSD as the OS, data drive with content).

It eventually got to the point that I could barely play content, just got to watch the pretty wheel of fortune spin around.

Heavy disk activity was the culprit.

There where two processes banging on the data drive, one being SearchIndexer.exe (Windows Search) and the other MsMpEng.exe (Microsoft Security Essentials)

To resolve the issue, I turned off MSE's scheduled scanning (left Realtime Protection on) and disabled the Windows Search service.

Hope this helps!

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #4 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Are the movies that take a long time to load stored locally on the HTPC or on a network share?

What codec pack did you install? What kind of format are these movies in? AVI? MKV?

Are you using the built-in player that comes in Media Center or are you using an external player such as MPC-HC?

1. Both locally and on a network share

2. I believe I have Shark or whatever it's called. Movies are all in MKV for the most part.

3. I am using the built in player in Media Center

This started a few months ago after working great for about a year. That lead me to reformatting a couple months ago, but it didn't have any affect on the delay.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy G.L.X. View Post

I had this same exact issue on my current HTPC build, very similar setup to yours (SSD as the OS, data drive with content).

It eventually got to the point that I could barely play content, just got to watch the pretty wheel of fortune spin around.

There where two processes banging on the data drive, one being SearchIndexer.exe (Windows Search) and the other MsMpEng.exe (Microsoft Security Essentials)

To resolve the issue, I turned off MSE's scheduled scanning (left Realtime Protection on) and disabled the Windows Search service.

Hope this helps!

This could be it, but I have basically the same programs running on the secondary machine, which does not have the power the main machine does, with no issues.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy G.L.X. View Post

Hope this helps!

Tried this with no improvement. It sounds like you are saying your drive was being overused, so maybe my solid state OS drive is bad?
post #7 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Any new suggestions? I'd hate to run out and buy a new hard drive and have that not be the problem.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 PM

Liked: 150
Copy one of the folders with the movie and everything else in it to you SSD and launch it from there. This will tell you if it is a local problem or a remote problem with something else (since you are no longer using the network or the HDD where it is normally stored and all the hardware involved with that).
post #9 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Copy one of the folders with the movie and everything else in it to you SSD and launch it from there. This will tell you if it is a local problem or a remote problem with something else (since you are no longer using the network or the HDD where it is normally stored and all the hardware involved with that).

I like this idea. I will give it a shot.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 PM

For me, I had bad transfer speeds from a green drive on the storage device while also having Windows Defender / Microsoft Security Essentials scanning everything (both on the server AND on my HTPC - it was being scanned twice!!!) and not having tweaked the performance of my HDDs. Turning off the scanning (putting in exceptions for the locations of the movies on the server and the mapped drive letter on my HTPC) and enabling all of the Write Caching Policies for the HDDs in Device Manager fixed it.

Since then I moved all my storage drives into my HTPC so I would NEVER have any network issues cause me any grief ever again. HDDs are cool (at least the 4TB Seagates are) and require very little power...the piece of mind is worth it. Plus, if there is a fire I can grab one machine and run with it - saving all my movies, recorded shows, and backups of the other PCs in the house. smile.gif
post #11 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Shows loaded flawlessly on the other htpc off the the Solid State OS drive on the main HTPC, so that tells me it isn't the hard drive. Anyone know of a test to see if the CPU is bad? That's the only other thing I can think of, other than the board itself. Memtest came up clean for the RAM, so I don't think there's an issue with that.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 173
10 minutes was a time out condition for a work computer for something completely unrelated to this thread. It does have me wondering though, if the reason it is taking 10 minutes, is that a process is trying to execute and everything is on hold till it times out.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post

10 minutes was a time out condition for a work computer for something completely unrelated to this thread. It does have me wondering though, if the reason it is taking 10 minutes, is that a process is trying to execute and everything is on hold till it times out.

Well it's not exactly ten minutes. Sometimes it's not as long as other times. I should note everything hangs on this machine, from trying to load a program to trying to re-encode a video. I tend not to use it for anything but watching videos through MediaBrowser or watching TV through the CableCard though, so it's very noticeable when trying to start a video and watching the icon spin and spin and coming back several minutes later to have it finally turn on.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 07:03 AM

Before buying things I would wipe and reload the machine from scratch. Destroy and recreate partitions, do a full format if asked, etc. See if that fixes it.

If you want, before you do that, download ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) and have it clean up the system. It might fix your issues and cannot make things worse...and if it does (though I have never had any issues with ccleaner for the last 10 years) you are going to wipe and restart anyway.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post

Well it's not exactly ten minutes. Sometimes it's not as long as other times. I should note everything hangs on this machine, from trying to load a program to trying to re-encode a video. I tend not to use it for anything but watching videos through MediaBrowser or watching TV through the CableCard though, so it's very noticeable when trying to start a video and watching the icon spin and spin and coming back several minutes later to have it finally turn on.

I had a similar issue to this but wasn't a 10 minute load time... more like a 2-3 minute delay; nor was it HW related at all. It was actually related to a PlayReady (for CC tuners) PRDMO wrapper problem but I'm not so sure that's your particular issue.

As others already mentioned, copy a file local to the machine. Now, try loading the video through the base Windows Media Player (not WMC). Also, are you running x64 OS? If so, try this with both the x32 and x64 WMP processes and see if you get delays on both; you'll have to navigate to the x64 bit WMP process in File Explorer to load the right one; Win7 uses the x32 as default whilst WMC itself uses the x64 player (in cases of x64 OS's). In my case, it only affected the x64 player which of course is what WMC uses - it eventually got resolved but I wonder if that's even your issue.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page