Ceton Echo: Android Build in the wild?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Saw this over at TheGreenButton.TV: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=5468

Looks pretty promising!

edit: Sorry if this has been posted already, I did a search for Ceton Echo and didn't see anything about it biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 AM

knew this was coming, but didn't expect it to almost look Xbox 360 like.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 199
No Live TV/recorded TV playback and no MKV playback. Seems too early to be useful.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

No Live TV/recorded TV playback and no MKV playback. Seems too early to be useful.

Live/Recorded TV playback is available through WMC app. I don't think it was ever proposed to have Live/Recorded TV playabck through Android.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Live/Recorded TV playback is available through WMC app. I don't think it was ever proposed to have Live/Recorded TV playabck through Android.

Sorry, I misread OP's post.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

It seems like from the thread it was released by accident, but at least it's the closest thing to news we've seen on the echo front in a while for sure smile.gif
post #7 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Well, seeing as how they have a Live TV Guide in Android, I do believe that it is their intent to play Live TV through Android, but I believe you are correct in that no announcement as such has been made, however it was implied when they stated that they expected Android to allow the device to work with Windows 8.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Well, seeing as how they have a Live TV Guide in Android, I do believe that it is their intent to play Live TV through Android, but I believe you are correct in that no announcement as such has been made, however it was implied when they stated that they expected Android to allow the device to work with Windows 8.

I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me that want the regular WMC extender interface for Live/Recorded TV/Guide etc. But I would personally prefer everything within the Android interface, hopefully it will result in a faster and more responsive interface and experience. We'll see what happens! smile.gif

I really like the Android interface personally, it looks very remote control friendly vs a lot of Android TV boxes/sticks that usually don't have a remote control friendly interface.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, all they need is to have a network tuner that supports DLNA with DTCP security, e.g. Silicondust's HDHomeRun Prime smile.gif That way, you can build your own interface in Android and have the CableLabs approved mechanism for transportation security of copy-protection.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

You are making incorrect assumptions

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #11 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Liked: 147
Personally, I think it was "accidently" leaked to show how far they have come. I would applaud any such "accident". It gives Ceton the ability to say it is not an authorized item to use and an old build while also allowing people to test it for them AND gain goodwill and excitement by just how far they have come. A VERY smart move if this is the case. I also understand that if this IS what happened, Ceton will deny it as they should. smile.gif

No matter how it was leaked, I am happy by how far it has come.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

You are making incorrect assumptions

Tease! smile.gif

What can we expect in terms of non-TV media playback capabilities?
post #13 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Wow! I take off for a while and come back to this?

post #14 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Well, all they need is to have a network tuner that supports DLNA with DTCP security, e.g. Silicondust's HDHomeRun Prime smile.gif That way, you can build your own interface in Android and have the CableLabs approved mechanism for transportation security of copy-protection.

Maybe you meant this in the end of your sentence, but they'd still need a DRM scheme (like WMDRM) to implement true DVR capabilities on top of the DLNA/DTCP support, correct? DLNA w/DTCP just gets you a live tv stream and nothing else (no pausing/ff/rew) as far as I understand.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Liked: 147
Pause, rewind, and fast forward should all be possible with live TV stream if they implement a small buffer (which means FF is severely limited). Buffering to smooth playback is allowed - not sure how much of a buffer is allowed though. If I were to hazard a common man guess, I would say a 30 second buffer of live TV would be all you can do and still call it live TV and therefor not be breaking any rules.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 11
If Ceton comes out with the echo running Android with apps like vudo, Netflix, Amazon prime, etc, I might just buy it. At the current price point of $179, I would NOT but a Ceton Echo as is. I've always said it's a $79 device as is and I stand by that.

I think they'd have to really get down to $99 even running android in order to be competitive with roku.

I'm getting ready to purchase another Xbox 360 for media center extender purposes only but I'll hold off if Ceton actually comes out with a rock solid Android (4.3) implementation with WMC as a free app along with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Hulu, etc.

If Microsoft was smart, they'd make a Windows Media Center App for the roku and other android devices. That would be the first Android app I'll ever pay for!

Later.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you need an extender now, then Xbox360 Slim.

Ceton has been absolutely quiet for nearly two months since this thread was started. I wouldn't base any plans on the Echo. In fact, since then Ceton quietly pulled the 320 firmware which improved H.264 playback because it was unstable.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 AM

I gave up on ceton last year when I had to publically call them out for the InfiniTV 4 PCIe crash and reboot issue. It took several months but we finally got a stable firmware from them.

It was too little too late, however. I've since added 2 HDHomeRun OTA Tuners and record all the OTA shows via those. The InfiniTV is only used for shows requiring the CableCARD. If SD would come out with a 6 Tuner Prime, I'd ditch the InfiniTV4 in a second.

I'll just end up grabbing another Xbox 360 Slim. My kids like to play games on them but it's a pain to move the 2nd Xbox from the basement to the bedroom every time they want to play different games.

It would be great to have a small, quiet Roku / D-Link MovieNite type device not only running Vudu, Netflix, games, etc but also with a Windows Media Center Extender plugin as well. I'm all about having everything in once central interface.

The way I see it is if Roku can do it for $99, Ceton should be able to hit that price point with the Echo once they have the Android 4.3 Interface fully functional with WMCE working fully as well.

The way things are going with Time Warner Cable's TV apps, I won't have to use a Media Center Extender soon for live TV and on demand. They've finally added most of the local channels to the live TV lineup in the Android app.

TWC has also made the TWC TV app available on the Xbox as of 8/27. I'm downloading it now.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 17
Sorry to disappoint you once again. http://cetoncorp.com/blog/ceton-echo-android/
post #20 of 21 Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Echo remains a great solution for anyone that wants the core Extender feature set of whole-home TV, DVR, movies, music and video in a great looking, small, silent device that consumes a fraction of the electricity used by other extenders and set-top boxes.

Nonsense. It's a great solution if you want stuttery playback on certain channels, and random loss of audio or video or both or lock-ups or re-starts.

It is small and silent and draws little electricity. It draws even less if I leave it un-plugged. For all its warts, Xbox360 is a superior extender.

Ceton.

Fail.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM

http://cetoncorp.com/blog/ceton-echo-android/

I will be picking up another Xbox 360 to use as an extender, Time Warner Cable TV App, Vudu, Netflix, Hulu, Games, etc, etc. It's only $20 and it is so much more functional.

I have no hope left for ceton.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page