Gigabit's new high def "UEFI DualBIOS"--Will it solve the HDMI black screen booting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Background: I just finished rebuilding my HTPC with an ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS Ivy Bridge MB. I'm not happy. With the built-in Intel video, I had a black screen on both boot-up and the UEFI BIOS. Plugging the old video card back in got the boot-up video working, but I still had the black screen going into the BIOS. After boot-up is complete, the 1080P video is fine. Of course, I can hook up a separate monitor to access both the boot-up and UEFI screens...but I want to use the HDMI signal to my DLP big screen as my sole monitor for the whole process! I determined that the ASUS (and almost everybody else's) BIOS uses a fixed resolution that isn't compatible with most TV's.

A potential solution: I found out that Gigabyte has a high definition UEFI BIOS in their new Haswell series motherboards. From the sketchy information available so far, it appears that it may deliver a 1920 by 1080 output video signal from the get-go, which would make the whole process jump onto my TV screen in its full glory! If this is true in practice, I will happily order a new CPU & Gigabyte MB...and put my near-new CPU & MB on eBay. According to another thread on this forum, I would also gain a near-perfect rendition at 24 Hz frame rate, using the Intel on-board 4600 graphics.

The question: I haven't found any posts on any forum from someone who has actually tried and confirmed what I hope is true...display of boot-up, BIOS and full video on a Gigabyte MB without a separate video card. Can anyone confirm--or deny--that this will work as I am suggesting?

Thanks in advance to anyone reporting their experiences!

--Chris

Chris X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2013, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I've been dealing with something similar on my Asus FM1 (Llano) board - the UEFI BIOS looks totally hosed up on a 1080p display, most of the UEFI screen is garbled up, and yes, the boot up screen is black.

On the rare occasion that I've needed to access the BIOS, I just pull my HTPC out, hookup up an old 19" monitor and make my changes.

Not sure if this issue is indicative to Asus' boards, or other manufactures as well.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on Gigabyte's HD UEFI BIOS, that is something I'll consider on my new HTPC build.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #3 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 AM

Liked: 147
I had no problems on my old Core2Duo Intel board nor on my new AMD FM2 board. The boot up is not black - but it is not 1080 either...it goes black when Windows appears (after the BIOS and the Windows loading screens are done) for a moment as HDMI resyncs from the current resolution to the 1080p of the desktop. The UEFI bios of the FM2 board looks fine as well.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I had no problems on my old Core2Duo Intel board nor on my new AMD FM2 board. The boot up is not black - but it is not 1080 either...it goes black when Windows appears (after the BIOS and the Windows loading screens are done) for a moment as HDMI resyncs from the current resolution to the 1080p of the desktop. The UEFI bios of the FM2 board looks fine as well.

YMMV. It depends on the capabilities of the display to handle a wide range of resolutions over HDMI. Unfortunately--as in my case--some home theater TVs cannot. With the new Gigabyte UEFI for the Haswell, I see a way to display all the information I need prior to the Windows login. That's why I am asking for experiences with this particular solution! smile.gif

Chris X
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy G.L.X. View Post

I've been dealing with something similar on my Asus FM1 (Llano) board - the UEFI BIOS looks totally hosed up on a 1080p display, most of the UEFI screen is garbled up, and yes, the boot up screen is black.

On the rare occasion that I've needed to access the BIOS, I just pull my HTPC out, hookup up an old 19" monitor and make my changes.

Not sure if this issue is indicative to Asus' boards, or other manufactures as well.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on Gigabyte's HD UEFI BIOS, that is something I'll consider on my new HTPC build.

I have an Asus FM1 board (ASUS F1A75-M PRO R2.0) too and can't get it to even display on my TV. The only way I can do it is by switching inputs to the VGA input I have attached for rare occasion I need the bios. Anybody have any suggestions?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewbert View Post

I have an Asus FM1 board (ASUS F1A75-M PRO R2.0) too and can't get it to even display on my TV. The only way I can do it is by switching inputs to the VGA input I have attached for rare occasion I need the bios. Anybody have any suggestions?

You're right on track, not much else you can do to workaround the issue.

Anyway, I have the same board in my HTPC...

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 PM