HTPC - Need Advice on Upscaling SD Video from DVD - Video Card???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help from the community here. I have about 1000 Standard DVDs that I do not want to take the time to rip if I cant upscale (and make it look good) to my HD tv. I am currently using HTPC built on Ivy Bridge and have already ripped about 300 Blu Ray movies at full quality mkv files. I love it and XMBC is a dream!

However, I have all of these standard DVDs that I could rip but I dont think the Ivy Bridge Chip will be able to scale it to 1080p to make it look good and worth the effort. I began to research other video cards that might have a really good video processor that could upscale and bypass by Ivy Bridge making it worthwhile to rip the standard DVDs. I have had no success. Anyone else know of a good video card that will upscale to 1080p standard DVDs and it looks good?!?

I thought about just buying the OPPO player since it upscales standard DVD to 1080p but I thought there must be a good video card that does this better than the OPPO so I could use XMBC and rip my standard DVDs

Any help or suggestions of a good video card that can do this and has a better video processor than the OPPO Marvell's Kyoto-G2 chip that would fit in my HTPC?

thanks again
Caduceus in New Orleans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am using a Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 GPU and playing the DVD with MPC-HC using MadVR with Jinc 3 scaling and LAV Audio, LAV Video and the LAV splitter. This combination gives great result imho.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #4 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have WinDVD Pro 10 (there is now a v11). WinDVD does very good SD DVD to HD conversion. I am not sure how "totally hi def" you can make a std. def signal but WinDVD makes it acceptable.

That said, I hardly use it since most of my media is now native 1080p, but it comes in handy from time to time.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCaduceus View Post

I began to research other video cards that might have a really good video processor that could upscale and bypass by Ivy Bridge making it worthwhile to rip the standard DVDs. I have had no success.

This thread includes some information.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page