WMC crashes when power cycling my AVR or Tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
WMC picture goes black, an error box pops up, then have to restart WMC (recordings and extenders are not affected).

This is the actual error log:

Error 7/7/2013 12:35:03 PM Application Error 1000 (100) "Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd053
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7601.17744, time stamp: 0x4eeb033f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000011cb
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13"

I have found exactly what triggers the crash:
All my sources, including this HTPC, run through an Onkyo AVR via hdmi then one hdmi into my 55" Tv. When I power off the Onkyo or Tv, the hdmi connection on the PC is lost for a split second then comes back (using splashtop I can see a little red x on the hdmi audio notification icon pop up then go away). Then when I power the Onkyo or Tv back on it drops hdmi connection again for a split second.

I can reproduce the WMC crash by powering the Onkyo or the Tv off and/or back on. This is a major issue because this HTPC is supposed to be replacing the Tivo in my living room. It needs to run WMC 24/7. I absolutely cannot have WMC crashing every time I power cycle my Tv or AVR. This is exactly why I waited years to go hdmi with my HTPC. Maybe I am expecting too much.

HTPC:
Clean install of Win7 64bit SP1 with all updates
Q9450 Core2Quad
8GB DDR2 800
nVidia GT610
Onkyo TX-NR515
Sony KDL55HX800

I have the latest Firmware on the Onkyo and Tv.

I have tried nVidia drivers v320.49 & v320.18. I have a feeling trying other versions won't help.

I guess I could try reinstalling and/or other versions of C++ runtime but I have a feeling it won't help.

I think what I really need is to trick the PC into thinking the hdmi connection is always on. I tried inserting a cheapo powered hdmi splitter between the PC and Onkyo but that didn't help. I have seen this product that claims to do it but it's $100:
http://www.hdfury.com/products/dr-hdmi-specs/

Are there other solutions? Changing something in the audio/video advanced settings? Try another video card (one without VGA)? Use onboard spdif (disable hdmi audio)?

Please help!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Only have this problem if power cycling during playback. If left at the guide or main menu then I have no issue, W8x64 w/ GTX660
post #3 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, so it's not just me.

Yes, video has to be playing in WMC.

Sure, I can press STOP on the remote but there are many times when we leave a music channel on and just turn the Tv off. Sure, I could engineer a work around to stop WMC video, goto a music source, turn off the Tv (and do the reverse when returning to the living room) but teaching everyone else in the house that new procedure is going to be a major PITA. It's already been a rough road moving them from Tivo to WMC. Now this...
post #4 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This sounds like either a codec or video driver issue to me. I'd recommend you first upgrade your video drivers, and if the issue persists, try removing any codec packs you have installed.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #5 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Ok, so it's not just me.

Yes, video has to be playing in WMC.

Sure, I can press STOP on the remote but there are many times when we leave a music channel on and just turn the Tv off. Sure, I could engineer a work around to stop WMC video, goto a music source, turn off the Tv (and do the reverse when returning to the living room) but teaching everyone else in the house that new procedure is going to be a major PITA. It's already been a rough road moving them from Tivo to WMC. Now this...

How about a remote with "stop" built in to the shut down procedure? I have been doing this with my Harmony 900 for a long time and don't have this issue at all. When It powers back up with the HTPC activity, it goes right to LiveTV on the channel last tuned.

post #6 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Delete all the music channels from the TV Guide and put Pandora plugin instead http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5479&sid=3b95640f12bfda8f0c482c688a1666ad
post #7 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This sounds like either a codec or video driver issue to me. I'd recommend you first upgrade your video drivers, and if the issue persists, try removing any codec packs you have installed.

Already tried clean install of two nVidia driver versions-
320.49 (latest official)
320.18 (previous official)
Guess I keep going back and back and back, hoping one of them works???

I do not touch codec packs. The only codecs I have are installed (& updated) by by Zoom Player MAX v8.6.1. Does WMC even use any of these? I don't see any extra taskbar icons when WMC is running (like when I play audio/video in ZP).
FFDShow v1.2.4453.0
DCoder's Bass v1.5.2.0
LAV Filters v0.57.00
MadVR v0.86.8.0
Haali's Media Splitter v1.11.288.0
DirectVobSub v3.0.0.211
Flash Video v1.5.3.3933
AC3Filter v2.5.0.0
DScaler MPEG2/AC3/DTS/DVD v0.0.6.0
Open Source DTS/AC3/DD+ Source v1.5.3.3933
Gabest MPEG and Bluray Splitter v1.5.3.3933
Gagest AVI Splitter v1.5.3.3933
Gabest CD-Audio v1.5.3.3933
FFMPEG Core Filter
DCoder Image Source

Quote:
How about a remote with "stop" built in to the shut down procedure? I have been doing this with my Harmony 900 for a long time and don't have this issue at all. When It powers back up with the HTPC activity, it goes right to LiveTV on the channel last tuned.

Yes, I can do macros with my AR Xsight. Issues:
1. I am comfortable using the AR Xsight all the time, the rest of the people here are NOT. And the universal remote they use does not have macros.
2. Coincidentally, my AR Xsight refuses to learn some WMC functions. One of those functions it can't learn is the STOP button. Other options are available.
3. I would need to create an alternate "music channel". Many choices available.
4. It would have to be two separate buttons- one for "Off" another for "On".
post #8 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 12
I'd guess it's an EDID issue. The EDID of your AVR/TV will change when you power cycle, essentially changing your playback device mid-stream, at least as WMC sees it. Check the EDID override thread for ways to override.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgiant View Post

I'd guess it's an EDID issue. The EDID of your AVR/TV will change when you power cycle, essentially changing your playback device mid-stream, at least as WMC sees it. Check the EDID override thread for ways to override.
Ya, I'm well aware of that thread. In there I found a cool custom resolution tool. Very simple to use. I tried it but it did not help. I think when the PC looses hdmi it falls back to generic pnp on vga and changes the Audio driver properties. It's that change in Audio driver state that WMC can't handle. Looks like I'm headed for the EA$Y option- HD Fury's Dr. HDMI or Gefen HDMI Detective.

Other reference-
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?pid=547#pid547
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5485

Thanks for all the input
post #10 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For me, this bug has been around for several years. Every time I'd turn the TV off before turning WMC off, I'd get a BSOD.

The issue started right when HDMI was becoming popular and Microsoft updated their architecture (I dont know of a better way to say that) to allow 2 way communication with the TV. Again, this is several years old and I'm recalling this from memory. At the time, I was connecting to my TV with a DVI cable and had an nVidia gt8600 GPU.

This went on for driver release after driver release. I was stuck using an earlier release that was pre-architecture change, but I dutifully tried every new release to see if it had been fixed. It never was.

One day I got fed up and bought a gt430 video card and used the HDMI connector on it to connect to my DVI TV. Problem solved!

I dont know if it was a problem with the old video card,, an actual driver bug, a problem with my TV, or me not using HDMI, but you arent the only one who's experienced this and its really exasperating to have to keep rebooting the computer.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I absolutely cannot have WMC crashing every time I power cycle my Tv or AVR. This is exactly why I waited years to go hdmi with my HTPC. Maybe I am expecting too much...

I used vga to component + analog audio for over 10 years and watched everyone here struggle with upgrading to hdmi. When cheap bluray players came along I put my HTPC aside and updated everything else to hdmi. Just a few weeks ago, I moved into a house that needed Tv in four rooms. To avoid tivo subscription and/or cable box rental fees, I decided to pull out the HTPC and go Ceton + WMC + Extenders. I ran Cat5 into three bedrooms and spent almost $1k on htpc upgrades, tuner, extenders, and materials. It all works pretty good and I am happy overall but discovering this hdmi crash bug at the end of my project is a real bummer.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SOLVED with Dr HDMI product.
Plug & Play - one button copy EDID from "display".
No external power needed.
PC doesn't know when power cycling the Tv/AVR.
WMC doesn't crash.
$99 shipped from Taiwan in 2 days!
post #13 of 21 Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WMC doesn't crash.

Link?

The $12 HDMI Power booster from Monoprice has been know to fix this issue too. Proper start up sequence is free.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Link?

The $12 HDMI Power booster from Monoprice has been know to fix this issue too. Proper start up sequence is free.
Link to Dr HDMI is in the first post.

$12 Monoprice- Thanks but too late!

Startup sequence has nothing to do with it. WMC HTPC is always on. Powering Tv or AVR off/on is required.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Link?

Link to Dr HDMI is in the first post.

$12 Monoprice- Thanks but too late!

Startup sequence has nothing to do with it. WMC HTPC is always on. Powering Tv or AVR off/on is required.

Proper start up sequence cured this for me. You also need appropriate pauses in between powering the devices to allow things to sync correctly. My fix was free.

post #16 of 21 Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Proper start up sequence cured this for me. You also need appropriate pauses in between powering the devices to allow things to sync correctly. My fix was free.

Not sure if you noticed the OPs request, but they are trying to turn the display off without stopping live TV playback. Then turn the display back on and change the channel if needed. I've never been able to do this, and I don't have an AVR in the loop. I'm just using the HTPC (always on) -> TV. Does the startup sequence apply to this?
post #17 of 21 Old 07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

Quote:

Not sure if you noticed the OPs request, but they are trying to turn the display off without stopping live TV playback. Then turn the display back on and change the channel if needed. I've never been able to do this, and I don't have an AVR in the loop. I'm just using the HTPC (always on) -> TV. Does the startup sequence apply to this?

It was never said that this is a requirement just that teaching everybody to do this is difficult at best. A properly programmed universal remote solves that problem as it can be programmed to start back up in LiveTV again. This free solution works great if you have the remote already.

One other thing not mentioned is that leaving LiveTV going 24/7 is going to put undue wear on the HDD in the HTPC that handles the pause buffer. It is not a good idea to do it this way.

post #18 of 21 Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:

It was never said that this is a requirement just that teaching everybody to do this is difficult at best. A properly programmed universal remote solves that problem as it can be programmed to start back up in LiveTV again. This free solution works great if you have the remote already.

One other thing not mentioned is that leaving LiveTV going 24/7 is going to put undue wear on the HDD in the HTPC that handles the pause buffer. It is not a good idea to do it this way.

Agreed, but thought it would be worth mentioning that it doesn't fix the issue being referenced. Also, my recommendation was similar http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480740/wmc-crashes-when-power-cycling-my-avr-or-tv#post_23506781
post #19 of 21 Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some very good work around ideas here for sure but for me the $99 Dr HDMI was worth every penny. I am curious if the $12 monoprice would have worked. If you read carefully I did make it known that:
1. There is no startup sequence because there is one device being turned off/on- the Tv.

2. WMC on 24/7 - YES. Live Tv on 24/7 - NO. I do press STOP when I shut down and go to bed. But when I leave the room or house, I need to leave the comcast music channel playing in that room and just turn off the Tv.

3. The universal remote that the other people in the house operate cannot do macros. I am trying to avoid teaching the other users more new procedures/buttons to push.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

It's such a miniscule load. I doubt it's any worse than simply leaving it powered on 24/7. FWIW, the Seagate 160 GB in the one DVR we still have has been recording two streams simultaneously and continuously since 2009.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

WMC doesn't crash.

Link?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=2849&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page