Do I really want to... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had HTPC's dating back to 2004, so I'm pretty familiar with the scene. What I'm trying to decide is if I want to drop Directv and get a hdhomerun prime and move back to Cox with a cablecard. I'll end up saving about $40 a month moving back to cable.

Anyone made the switch? Am I nuts? WAF isn't an issue as we used MCE with cable before everything went digital.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Make the switch from one cable provider to another? Pretty sure millions of people have done that... what's your concern?

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I switched from Uverse to Charter with a CableCARD (Prime) tuner a year ago. Due to stability issues with f/w at that time there was an issue with WAF but now it is all good as the latest f/w is top notch with basically no tuning errors whatsoever. I say charge ahead!

post #4 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Make the switch from one cable provider to another? Pretty sure millions of people have done that... what's your concern?

the concern is switching from satellite receiver to MCE w/cablecard. I've not used a cablecard.

post #5 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I've used the ATI single tuner for a few years along with a single qam (and the QAM alone a few years before the cablecard). I never have problems related to it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerpat View Post

the concern is switching from satellite receiver to MCE w/cablecard. I've not used a cablecard.

I have a HDHomeRun Prime with Verizon FiOS and it's a decent solution. Nothing works as flawlessly as a set top box from the provider. A couple weeks ago all Verizon customers with a CableCard lost their program guide. Obviously Verizon did something on their side that caused that to happen. A lot of people with CableCards have to call the provider and have it reset every so often as the channels they should have access to end up saying something like "Subscription required". I had to call Verizon to get my card reset when I first got my HDHomeRun Prime and that took about 1.5 hours trying different things before it started working. Since then though I haven't really had any issues. I love the HDHomeRun Prime. The CableCard experience could be better.

post #7 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have a HDHomeRun Prime with Verizon FiOS and it's a decent solution. Nothing works as flawlessly as a set top box from the provider. A couple weeks ago all Verizon customers with a CableCard lost their program guide. Obviously Verizon did something on their side that caused that to happen. A lot of people with CableCards have to call the provider and have it reset every so often as the channels they should have access to end up saying something like "Subscription required". I had to call Verizon to get my card reset when I first got my HDHomeRun Prime and that took about 1.5 hours trying different things before it started working. Since then though I haven't really had any issues. I love the HDHomeRun Prime. The CableCard experience could be better.

That happens about every couple of months but it isn't the Prime, it is the CableCARD or the tuning adapter. It is about a 10 minute phone call to Charter to get it reset usually.

post #8 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

That happens about every couple of months but it isn't the Prime, it is the CableCARD or the tuning adapter. It is about a 10 minute phone call to Charter to get it reset usually.

Yeah I would guess the pain level of that process is going to vary from provider to provider. With Verizon the tech support guys are usually helpful and friendly but the one time I had to do it took over an hour. If I had to do that constantly I would look for another solution.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I would guess the pain level of that process is going to vary from provider to provider. With Verizon the tech support guys are usually helpful and friendly but the one time I had to do it took over an hour. If I had to do that constantly I would look for another solution.

For me, it is worth the $28/month I save.. I get to up my package and still keep $8 + tax in my wallet each month.

I had Charter before Uverse when it was basically analog. I was getting restless waiting for HD on Charter and at the time (Fall 2006), Uverse people came knocking on the door. I had them for nearly 5 years. There was the occasional STB reset with both Charter before and with Uverse too. I've been able to do a reset with the Prime and TA without the call too. I think I've had to call twice in the last 14 months since going to the Prime and it has been pretty painless. I think Charter has finally got their act together.

post #10 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Anyone made the switch? Am I nuts? WAF isn't an issue as we used MCE with cable before everything went digital.

What would drive me nuts instead is switching inputs between blu-ray / tv. No matter how elegant anyones macro is with harmony, etc. I couldn't possibly begin to explain all the steps to my family *IF* the "watch tv" "watch movie" type buttons failed. The win-win is everything in a single interface

Then comes the real tradeoff
  • I can't stand anything but WMC for a DVR
  • I can't stand WMC for anything but it's DVR smile.gif

My solution is XBMC for TV/Movie archives (backups), CDs, games, weather, youtube, etc and using Advanced Launcher for WMC Guide and WMC Recorded TV with the QuickWMC version over on the forums. It exits back to XBMC once the "back" (esc) button is detected at either top level menu within Advanced Launcher
post #11 of 17 Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I switched from sat back to cable/WMC and am very glad I did, mainly for the price. It's very satisfying to have a DVR and a house full of extenders for a whopping $2/month in equipment fees.

My remote macros are 100% bulletproof, so switching inputs is not an issue. Maybe it's because I don't use harmony.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the comments. It sounds like we'll probably be switching back to Cox and save a few bucks.

post #13 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I switched from sat back to cable/WMC and am very glad I did, mainly for the price. It's very satisfying to have a DVR and a house full of extenders for a whopping $2/month in equipment fees.

My remote macros are 100% bulletproof, so switching inputs is not an issue. Maybe it's because I don't use harmony.

How's that? I do use a Harmony 900 and switching inputs is bulletproof too.

post #14 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How's that? I do use a Harmony 900 and switching inputs is bulletproof too.
They aren't for 4th-horseman. So he may have a state tracking issue at times for whatever reason. My remote's state tracking never gets out of sync because it doesn't exist. An RF remote is also a big help. Perhaps his isn't RF. If you try really hard, you can get my macros to fail (remove the remote batteries mid-macro or unplug a device as it's powering up), but you can simply run the macro again and all will be well. On harmony, you'd have to run the master off macro then possibly use help the next run. Not a big deal to me, but the OP's family would be lost in that case, as he said.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 14
I only intended to say if they fail, I couldn't fix it (edit: I couldn't fix it easily over the phone with my wife). It's just one more point of failure, and if you gave me a bulletproof remote that sequenced up several devices I'm pretty sure I could get it to fail. I will freely admit that I know very little about bullet-proofing an IR universal remote solution, but I do know that my cat has layed down in front of the blue Samsung power button on my DLP and the remote will not work until I get up and move the cat. If every IR command could be sent to a single blaster that you can ensure doesn't ever get anything in the line of sight then you are probably 99% of the way there, but if it's pointing at separate devices and one get's blocked (either with an obstruction on the device or remote) then my family's immediate action would be to push the button again and again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

No matter how elegant anyones macro is with harmony, etc. I couldn't possibly begin to explain all the steps to my family *IF* the "watch tv" "watch movie" type buttons failed

I just think one single interface is the simplest to control. I explained how I get there with XBMC. Maybe it would be good to share how you prevent all the common failure modes from a universal with different inputs setup. i.e. Remote blocked mid-macro, IR receiver blocked mid-macro, etc
post #16 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot remember the last time that there was an issue with start up on my system with my Harmony. I think it was while I was still doing trial and error in programming it. Now it just works..

post #17 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

Maybe it would be good to share how you prevent all the common failure modes from a universal with different inputs setup. i.e. Remote blocked mid-macro, IR receiver blocked mid-macro, etc
Sounds like you could really benefit from an RF remote. I've used RF remotes for at least 10 years and have never had any of those issues. IP is another good solution. Like I said, it takes something really catastrophic like power loss for my macros to fail. Blocked signals are never an issue with RF.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page