can no longer control volume while watching bluray on comp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if im in the wrong forum to be posting this...

Alright here is my situation

Rough Specs:
HTPC running Windows 8 Pro x64. AMD A6-3650 APU, Nvidia GeForce FT 610 Graphics card (because had problems with 2 generations of ATI Drivers) Samsung LCD TV. Denon AVR-1612 receiver. only have a 3.1 setup on speakers right now. Working towards building a full surround sound with good speakers. Have 2 Old Pioneer tower speakers. 1 Midland (made for computer) center speaker & Polk Audio Sub woofer.Using quality HDMI cables from Monoprice Everything was fine until this past weekend.

playing Blu-Ray over my gigabit network from my unraid sever (which I have done for years) started stuttering. What would happen was in my upper left corner of the screen I would see info on my tv that said 1920x1080 @60hz& the movie would start playing for just a couple of seconds...then the screen would go black (which this part has been the norm) and the screen would refresh itself for the content being played i reckon and it would say 1920x1080 @24hz and after this is when the movie would stutter to the point I could not watch it. I did the normal reset everything in my network.modem/router/switch/computers/server and still did the same time...So I switched from Powerdvd 12 to Totalmedia 6 and the stutter went away...

Ok for the first time ever my computer has no control over the volume when Im watching a blu-ray player. If i mute in the computer it does mute the volume however up and down have no impact...Now whats happening besides that is the special effects are sooooo loud and the dialogue pretty darn low that i am constantly turning my receiver up and down just to try and enjoy the movie.

I might have forgotten to mention that outside playing a blu-ray the audio is as normal as it ever was and can be controlled with the Windows OS Volume. if theres anything i left out please let me know

Thanks for taking the time to help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
This is in the wrong place. I am sure the Mods will move it.

Is this a Blu-ray disc or is it a rip?

If it is a rip, what container/format is it in?

What player are you using? Your set up should have no problem with MPC-HC and madVR, BTW.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos28355 View Post

Ok for the first time ever my computer has no control over the volume when Im watching a blu-ray player. If i mute in the computer it does mute the volume however up and down have no impact...

If you're bitstreaming audio, you can't control the volume on the PC you have to use the AVR.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 07-09-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

This is in the wrong place. I am sure the Mods will move it.

Is this a Blu-ray disc or is it a rip?

If it is a rip, what container/format is it in?

What player are you using? Your set up should have no problem with MPC-HC and madVR, BTW.

A mod told me to post here....

Its a rip of my blu-ray discs. I use TXmuxer and rip the main language and subtitles. I always select the best audio that disc contains i do not compress the files at all. then i use imgburn to make it into an ISO. I use daemon tools to mount it and I was using powerdvd 12 but just switched to total media 6 to play it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

If you're bitstreaming audio, you can't control the volume on the PC you have to use the AVR.

I could be bitstreaming the audio but I dont know how to turn it on or off. I dont know anything about bitstreaming really... Whats confusing to me is that I have been ripping all my BD this same exact way for at least 2 years now and this audio issue did not start until just recently. I dont know how to change it. It wouldnt be so bad if there wasnt such high extreme fluctuations. Trying to be somewhat discrete at night and watching a movie is out of the question. Im sure the quality is tons better by bitstreaming but thats something im willing to sacrifice at the moment or at least be able to pick and choose when I want to bitstream it...any ideas? thanks again
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

I could be bitstreaming the audio but I dont know how to turn it on or off. I dont know anything about bitstreaming really... Whats confusing to me is that I have been ripping all my BD this same exact way for at least 2 years now and this audio issue did not start until just recently. I dont know how to change it.

Did it happen when you started using TMT? It sounds like they both started at similar times. It could be a difference in default settings between the two.
Quote:
It wouldnt be so bad if there wasnt such high extreme fluctuations. Trying to be somewhat discrete at night and watching a movie is out of the question. Im sure the quality is tons better by bitstreaming but thats something im willing to sacrifice at the moment or at least be able to pick and choose when I want to bitstream it...any ideas? thanks again

You need to look for a Dynamic Range Compression or "Night Mode" setting on you AVR (or player software) and enable it.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

It happened around the same time I went to TMT but it happens while using Powerdvd also and if I recall it started happening with Powerdvd first but the reason I switched to TMT was because of a stutter problem that I couldnt figure out...I will look for those settings and get back to you. Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Audio over HDMI to the TV/Monitor? See if this box is checked:

'Cuz if it is, your Mixer and Volume controls can be bypassed.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It happened around the same time I went to TMT but it happens while using Powerdvd also and if I recall it started happening with Powerdvd first but the reason I switched to TMT was because of a stutter problem that I couldnt figure out...I will look for those settings and get back to you. Thanks

tried that it didnt work but thanks anyways!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Audio over HDMI to the TV/Monitor? See if this box is checked:

'Cuz if it is, your Mixer and Volume controls can be bypassed.

Yes i unchecked that and played a movie and now I can control audio through my computer again and its not super freaking loud!! thanks very much

So I understand correctly-
1. I'm sure having the AVR control the audio is of the best quality correct? But i have worthless speakers and right now thats not of interest to me until i upgrade.

2. If I do upgrade speakers and decide to have the AVR control my volume will the better speakers handle the sound fluctuation better or is that an AVR matter?

thanks again for your help!