802.11ac - post your experience - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thought we should get some user experience on the wireless AC standard. What luck are people having streaming HD video between devices, I know it wasn't very do-able on 802.11n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Thought we should get some user experience on the wireless AC standard. What luck are people having streaming HD video between devices, I know it wasn't very do-able on 802.11n

I was just using my at&t U-verse Wi-Fi. I could not stream a Blu-ray without stuttering. I purchased a Netgear R6300 and A6200. I can now stream Blu-ray ISOs from my desktop to my HTPC in the other room and from my HTPC to my desktop at the same time. 200+ mbit sec.
jeffkro likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Once your neighbors get "AC" as well, you will be in the same boat as "N"

Wired is the way to go for sustained reliability.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Once your neighbors get "AC" as well, you will be in the same boat as "N"

Wired is the way to go for sustained reliability.

I am always the first one to say "just pull a damn cable and be done with it" but 5ghz is quite a bit better in crowded areas than 2.4, going dual band has always been the trick for apartments and condos. It doesn't propagate as much through barriers so you end up with less neighbors overlapping.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #5 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I didn't realize there was a new standard. This could be great for people in apartments/condos that can't get a wired internet connection to other rooms without running one on the floor. Bedroom HTPC check!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I would guess most peoples issues with Wireless N are that the router and device are on separate floors or have multiple walls between them. Apartments could potentially always have issues due to interference. With a clear signal N is perfectly capable of streaming Blu-rays. None of my HTPCs are currently wired and I haven't had any issues with playback. I wouldn't think AC would help with this at all since the penetration won't be as good as N. Clear signal multiple streams obviously AC will be a clear winner. N is definitely going to choke with multiple streams or other heavy local traffic. Another thought is that people who are upgrading to AC and finding a vast improvement to their streaming should also factor in that the AC devices available are typically going to be much higher quality devices than what they most likely upgraded from. Getting a top of the line N access point and card could provide you great improvement as well.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 14
Always had no problem with blu ray over N. Used a 4200v2 and powered network bridge. Ended up buying the AC66U for VPN support (merlin) but haven't bought an AC bridge yet. I refuse to buy the USB/PCI adapters, so I'm really waiting for Asus to update this nifty device to AC https://www.asus.com/Networking/EAN66/. The v2 will eventually be a remote WAP hung off the end of a network run to boost home wifi coverage. Also kind of "itching" to sell of Nexus 7 while resale value is still up in anticipation of a refresh coming that supports AC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page