Media Portal 1 now supports cablecard tuners. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I just saw this article posted at the Missing Remote:

http://www.missingremote.com/news/2013-07-09/mediaportal-adds-native-cablecard-support

As with all third party media center front ends, it only supports copy-freely content and will not suport DRMed content. If you're fortunate enough to be on FIOS or other provider that doesn't flag your channels this looks like a nice alternative to Windows Media Center. I've never used MediaPortal before so I don't know what kind of support it provides for other media, such as Blu-Ray playback with full HD audio (it does support BD playback but I'm not sure about the HD audio yet).

It has been tested to work with the following cablecard tuners:

HDHomeRun Prime (with latest beta firmware)
Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-e
Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH

No word yet on the InfiniTV4 USB or the Hauppauge 2650, but I do believe there are people testing with them.

Windows 7 64-bit is now supported along with the 32-bit OS, but Windows 8 is not currently recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I've never used MediaPortal before so I don't know what kind of support it provides for other media, such as Blu-Ray playback with full HD audio (it does support BD playback but I'm not sure about the HD audio yet).

Internal bluray playback doesn't display the Disc menus, but generates some basic ones if you wish to use them (otherwise it just plays the main movie). It can also delegate to an external player (PowerDVD,TMT etc) if you prefer. The internal player won't show copy protected content (optical discs) unless you have something like AnyDVD HD installed too as it is again copy-protect dependant.
It does support bitstreaming HD audio. I use the LAV filters which can be installed as part of the setup, although you can choose to use other filters if you prefer.

Mediaportal has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. It is still more complex to set up compared with MCE, but ability to customise a lot of settings is worth it.
I love the DVR functionality the most. Any channel on a MUX can be recorded at the same time, using the same card. This means one card can potentially record 3-4 channels at the same time, while watching a channel. It also allows you to connect multiple clients (PC's usually) to the same server and watch Live TV, recorded content, movies etc.

Mediaportal doesn't usually get a look in the USA because MCE is 'the' product when it comes to cablecard, but in Free to Air content nations it has a large following.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Excellent mediaportal setup guide here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410346/mediaportal-1-2-x-install-and-setup-guide

StreamedMP is the skin I also use, it automatically installs many of the best plugins (like moving pictures) that make MePo far more advanced.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow. Nice link. That's about as detailed a setup tutorial as anything I've seen. I just browsed through it quickly and there's more info than I can absorb in a single sitting. I'll have to compare it against the wiki since it's written for version 1.2.x and it's currently up to version 1.4. Still, I'm sure a lot of it still applies to the latest version.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kano View Post

Mediaportal has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. It is still more complex to set up compared with MCE, but ability to customise a lot of settings is worth it.
I love the DVR functionality the most. Any channel on a MUX can be recorded at the same time, using the same card. This means one card can potentially record 3-4 channels at the same time, while watching a channel. It also allows you to connect multiple clients (PC's usually) to the same server and watch Live TV, recorded content, movies etc.

Mediaportal doesn't usually get a look in the USA because MCE is 'the' product when it comes to cablecard, but in Free to Air content nations it has a large following.

I remember having issues recording from the same MUX. Don't know if it's been fixed. At least reading the release notes from the latest versions doesn't mention it.
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/record-2-shows-on-1-tuner.110688/
http://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3302?jql=%22External%20issue%20ID%22%20~%20%223706%22
post #6 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

I remember having issues recording from the same MUX. Don't know if it's been fixed. At least reading the release notes from the latest versions doesn't mention it.
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/record-2-shows-on-1-tuner.110688/
http://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3302?jql=%22External%20issue%20ID%22%20~%20%223706%22

The error seemed to be fixed with a new dll (unless I'm understanding things incorrectly). Whether this is included in the current release we'd have to check. All I know is it works well for me and I often record 2 or more shows on the same MUX.
Could be different depending on your transmission format, I'm grabbing DVB-S channels.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Wow. Nice link. That's about as detailed a setup tutorial as anything I've seen. I just browsed through it quickly and there's more info than I can absorb in a single sitting. I'll have to compare it against the wiki since it's written for version 1.2.x and it's currently up to version 1.4. Still, I'm sure a lot of it still applies to the latest version.

Its a great setup description from Robbo, so thanks to him rather than me :-)

I agree, there is a lot of info in the tutorial.
It is reasonably up to date, although there are a few changes since 1.2. Mostly its bug fixes, better coding and a few new features (plus the option to install codecs and a prettier default skin which is handy but I use the StreamedMP skin anyhow)
You may just want to install the basic system first, setup TV, codecs for video, DVD's etc.
Then you can take a look at installing moving pictures (or my films), TV series which are plugins to help organise your media.

Remember, DRMed content is not available so if its important to you then MCE is still your best bet.
Let us know if you have any questions in regards to setup, lots of people are happy to help out.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its a great setup description from Robbo, so thanks to him rather than me :-)

I agree, there is a lot of info in the tutorial.
It is reasonably up to date, although there are a few changes since 1.2. Mostly its bug fixes, better coding and a few new features (plus the option to install codecs and a prettier default skin which is handy but I use the StreamedMP skin anyhow)
You may just want to install the basic system first, setup TV, codecs for video, DVD's etc.
Then you can take a look at installing moving pictures (or my films), TV series which are plugins to help organise your media.

Remember, DRMed content is not available so if its important to you then MCE is still your best bet.
Let us know if you have any questions in regards to setup, lots of people are happy to help out.
Kudos to Robbo then.wink.gif I'm on Verizon FIOS here in the states and they don't currently flag any of their channels except for the premium channels like HBO or pay per view, which I don't subscribe to, so DRMed content isn't an issue for me.

I'm intrigued by MediaPortal so I may give it a try as soon as I can find some time to play with it. I'd like to spend a bit of time in the forums and the wiki as well as the setup you referenced to get a better handle on setting it up and using it.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Kudos to Robbo then.wink.gif I'm on Verizon FIOS here in the states and they don't currently flag any of their channels except for the premium channels like HBO or pay per view, which I don't subscribe to, so DRMed content isn't an issue for me.

I'm intrigued by MediaPortal so I may give it a try as soon as I can find some time to play with it. I'd like to spend a bit of time in the forums and the wiki as well as the setup you referenced to get a better handle on setting it up and using it.

I would be interested to hear your experiences with MediaPortal, I messed around with it for awhile a couple of years ago and for me coming from SageTV it was very poor in the scheduling recordings area compared to Sage. I tried to use 4Tr which is now Argus TV and it made things better, however it made setup more difficult and harder to administer multiple clients.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The error seemed to be fixed with a new dll (unless I'm understanding things incorrectly). Whether this is included in the current release we'd have to check. All I know is it works well for me and I often record 2 or more shows on the same MUX.
Could be different depending on your transmission format, I'm grabbing DVB-S channels.
The .dll doesn't work on the latest versions. The bug seems to still be there since it's marked as "In Progress". I'm on ATSC so it seems it only affects ATSC/QAM.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post

I would be interested to hear your experiences with MediaPortal, I messed around with it for awhile a couple of years ago and for me coming from SageTV it was very poor in the scheduling recordings area compared to Sage. I tried to use 4Tr which is now Argus TV and it made things better, however it made setup more difficult and harder to administer multiple clients.
I went from GBPVR to WMC to NPVR to WMC to Mediaportal. I can honestly say that NPVR's recording options where much more powerful. But in the end I went with Mediaportal because it's just so stable! I can't recall a time where a recording was missed. (Which would happen to me once in a while with WMC. YMMV. Reading through WMC's History section never gave me any clue as to why.) And I loved the fact that setting up clients with Mediaportal is very easy. But to be honest if WMC allowed PC Extenders I would've probably stick with it. By the way i'm using the default recording engine.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-13-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hmmm... so potentially, you could use external filters such as MadVR and SVP to improve your TV watching experience, and not just movie playback. Interesting.

Where does the guide data come from in Media Portal?

Is there an easy way to check your channels for copy freely?
post #13 of 14 Old 07-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Hmmm... so potentially, you could use external filters such as MadVR and SVP to improve your TV watching experience, and not just movie playback. Interesting.

MediaPortal can't use MadVR either, although using LAV in that looks pretty good. There is some talk about making MadVR an option in MP, but there's some issue about MadVR not being completely open source.

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/adding-madvr-support.94582/page-9
Quote:

Where does the guide data come from in Media Portal?

It depends where you are grabbing it from, there are a couple of EPG grabbers for grabbing info from the internet:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/3_TV/0_TV_Guide/0_EPG

I use DVB-S, so the EPG is included in the signal (same goes for DVB-T).
Quote:

Is there an easy way to check your channels for copy freely?

I'm afraid I'm not sure how this is implemented in regards to cablecard (I don't have a cable tuner). My DVB-S channels include encrypted and non-encrypted which are marked, then you can just select the non-encrypted ones for display.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

MediaPortal can't use MadVR either, although using LAV in that looks pretty good. There is some talk about making MadVR an option in MP, but there's some issue about MadVR not being completely open source.

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/adding-madvr-support.94582/page-9
It depends where you are grabbing it from, there are a couple of EPG grabbers for grabbing info from the internet:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/14_Using_MediaPortal/3_TV/0_TV_Guide/0_EPG

I use DVB-S, so the EPG is included in the signal (same goes for DVB-T).
I'm afraid I'm not sure how this is implemented in regards to cablecard (I don't have a cable tuner). My DVB-S channels include encrypted and non-encrypted which are marked, then you can just select the non-encrypted ones for display.

I am not sure about the Prime, but with the Ceton stuff the web page will tell you the status of DRM on any channel tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page