I feel like trying to set ATI/AMD brightness & contrast is hopeless - suggestions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I never really tinkered with image settings on anything before - tv or pc. When I used Nvidia cards I set the colorspace 0-255 and that was it. I have a 2009 Panasonic S1 tv and I used some settings I found on the forum. Looked great with my pc, Xbox, bluray player.

Since I upgraded to Trinity last winter Ive been pretty unhappy. Video looks acceptable but still images, webpages, etc look awful. 0-255 caused my tv to buzz loudly and was way too bright. I feel like I either have too intense whites and washed out blacks or pleasing bright colors and indescernable dark images.

The tv settings are great when I plug my 360/hd-dvd into this hdmi port and watch something like Batman Begins or with my bluray player on the Jurassic Park t-rex attack. So Im not going to tinker with the tv.

It seems that the desktop color setting must be set first, and that the video color setting is an offset from that. I say this because if I (for instance) maximize the desktop brightness setting movies then are all washed out.

I primarily use the WMC player and occasionally TMT5.

If some people could post their AMD settings just so I can get a baseline Id be thrilled. Nothing seems to work for me

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no one? frown.gif

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 398
First of all
Quote:
When I used Nvidia cards I set the colorspace 0-255 and that was it.

Full / limited range RGB of NVIDIA cards is known not to work. Limited-range RGB is always sent unless you hack the registry.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I turn off everything except expanded color space. I leave things I cannot turn off at the default.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Use limited since that should give you the best picture also make sure your HDMI input is set to limited on the plasma, then if you need to search around and find out what settings other users are using, my st30 looks horrible with the standard settings needs quite a bit of tweaking and then looks much better.

If the buzzing comes back down the road then its possible you have a screw or two lose on the TV boards. Idk about the 2009 models but the 2011 models are notorious for having the problem tightening the screws will fix it for years to come or replacing it with panasonic locking screws should make sure that problem does not occur again.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
i have an s1 as well i am using a amd apu 3400... my tv looks flawless i believe i have it set for limited, but the biggest help was to turn off dynamic contrast.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

these are my color and video settings. let me know if anything looks far out of whack

My HTPC front end set up
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
You should leave all the AMD brightness/contrast settings at default and calibrate those using your tv controls. Change dynamic range to 0-255. I have the same tv as you and my settings in Cinema mode are 80 contrast, 60 brightness. If it looks too bright to you then turn down the contrast to your liking. My plasma buzzes on a full white screen that's just the way they are.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

that looks different - good, but different. do you know what your color temp is set at? if its buzzing i cant hear it over the air conditioner.

theres still a "harshness" to text - like its almost fuzzy.

i wish they (amd) would streamline the settings. some things under video seem to only take effect when a video is playing, and others linger afterward (like 0-255)

which pixel format should i use? right now im set to YCbCr 4:4:4

My HTPC front end set up
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

All this tv will accept is YCbCr 4:4:4. Here are my settings.

Cinema
Contrast 80
Brightness 60
Color 35
Tint 7
Sharpness 50
Color temp Warm

Calibrated using AVS HD 709 calibration disk.

All the crap in CCC is unchecked and deinterlacing is set to vector adaptive.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

these are my color and video settings. let me know if anything looks far out of whack

i always leave the color to video player defaults, if it is changing the color of the video on the fly than it is "processing the video" and not giving me a true picture. Reset everything to default and use your tv for all adjustments. The only time i want the video card to do work is with the codec or with post processing, But those should involve better filters or software, the amd adjustments and software sucks,
Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

All this tv will accept is YCbCr 4:4:4. Here are my settings.

Contrast 80
Brightness 60
Color 35
Tint 7
Sharpness 50
Color temp Warm

Calibrated using AVS HD 709 calibration disk.

All the crap in CCC is unchecked and deinterlacing is set to vector adaptive.

your contrast is too high
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

Reset everything to default and use your tv for all adjustments.

This is what I originally did, but nothing looked right. I went from using a Geforce8600, to using my bluray player while I waited for my new PC parts to arrive, to the AMD Trinity. The Nvidia pc and bluray player looked fine, the AMD with default settings was very very harsh. I get the sense the AMD stuff is much more configurable, which is cool, but I don't have the equipment and patience to do it.

So you would uncheck stuff like deblocking, smooth video playback, etc?

My HTPC front end set up
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

your contrast is too high
No it's not, it's not even pushing 30fL. No white clipping at all, not even at 100. I forgot to mention before, but this is in Cinema mode.

pittsoccer33, with all of the AMD advanced settings turned off the picture quality looks better than my cable box for tv and the same as my blu-ray player for movies.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

No it's not, it's not even pushing 30fL. No white clipping at all, not even at 100. I forgot to mention before, but this is in Cinema mode.

pittsoccer33, with all of the AMD advanced settings turned off the picture quality looks better than my cable box for tv and the same as my blu-ray player for movies.

These are my settings... having the contrast that high will wash out colors and blacks... and yes un check all enhancements functions, the software your using for playback should have post processing with better features than amd can provide.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Contrast doesn't control black level, it controls white output. Tint needs to be closer to 7 or 8 otherwise there is a red push. Used THX optimizer glasses for tint and color. I can assure you my settings are correct per AVS 709. Did you actually calibrate your tv or are you just eyeballing it?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:42 AM

calibrated my tv, you are correct tint is off, but the colors of my walls screw with it, and contrast does affect white output but it does tie into colors and blacks, i was incorrect in saying it would wash them out, going up will cause the tv to make them too vivid... doing these can cause the to look grainy instead of more smooth. When i am home again i will take some screen shots any movie requests?? i will also take some screen shots of my catalyst settings.

What are using for a player and what file types are you trying to play?? what codecs are you using??
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I use WMC's default player mostly, and TMT5 sometimes.

I've never been unhappy with video performance - I used DVE to get video to a point I was happy with. It was just webpages like this one that were an eye sore to look at.

I was having trouble figuring out exactly how to set the brightness and contrast in the desktop color settings menu. I followed Stindawgs settings, dialing down the contrast a little bit, and overall I am much happier. Like I said, the very first time I booted my new computer up I noticed that everything was much more intense and harsher - more so than the previous computer, 360 w/ hd-dvd, and bluray player.

Did either of you go into the service menus at all calibrating your sets? I attached the guide I used. Panasonic S1 Calibration.pdf 661k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Panasonic S1 Calibration.pdf (661.2 KB, 30 views)

My HTPC front end set up
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM

when i get home i will take some web shots of avs forums for you, are you playing mkv's or something else as files, or is everything disc based??
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

mostly wtv from recorded cable and mkv from movie discs. sometimes blurays or hd-dvds straight from dics. also netflix.

My HTPC front end set up
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22

pittsoccer33, configuring Vision Control Center is not hopeless, trust me, once you have it setup it'll make sense.

Here's a good thread that might help you out:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1431535/settings-for-catalyst-control-center-12-8#post_22712234

I'll checkout my settings tonight and post them to this thread.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar