Help wanted understanding relationship between NAS and HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My parents want me to build them a media controller for their living room and theater rooms and I had a couple questions.

My plan is to build a NAS and two identical HTPCs to access the media. I also want the media to be accessable by other computers, laptops, and android devices. I will be storing mainly uncompressed Blu-rays and about 60-80 Gig of music. Would I see any measurable benefit to having transcoding? If so, would the transcoding be done on the NAS or on the HTPC? If it is possible to chose, I'd rather have it done on the NAS that way all devices would see the benefit, and I want to keep the HTPCs as quiet as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Building a NAS/Server and two HTPCs is a good idea. Preferably, you don't want to transcode anything. Your HTPCs should be built with the idea in mind that they can playback the full uncompressed blu-ray rips. You'll want a completely wired network (stay away from wireless except the for the hand-held devices.) And depending on what all they want to watch, your front-end software on the HTPCs needs to be tailored to what they wish to consume. If they want to watch TV on the HTPCs, then without a doubt, Windows Media Center is the first place to look. If movie playback and audio playback is all you need, then XBMC could work as well. Plex offers built in transcoding to devices such as tablets, phones, etc... if you really need to support these devices.

I'm assuming that you know "how" to build all of this, and are really just looking for advice on the architecture?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page