Seagate 3tb expansion hdd won't allow W7 to boot - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I recently installed this HDD and it works fine except it won't let the PC boot up if its plugged in. My WD MyBook boots up just fine. I tried disabling the USB boot and nothing. It just stays stuck in the Bios screen. Tried it on a different pc..same thing. Contacted Seagate and they blame everything but the HDD meanwhile there's plenty of similar complaints on their forum with no resolution. I'm hoping someone here knows how to fix this problem. Otherwise its going back. Shame is I've already loaded about 100 gigs on it :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
What do you have set as your first boot drive? Sometimes adding a new drive confuses the BIOS into thinking the new drive is the first drive in the boot sequence when it is not actually bootable.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

It's in its default mode right now but I've set to boot in different configs. I even disabled boot to USB and nothing. I have the two drives plugged in so I tried with just the Seagate and ng. The other one is fine. Read something about Windows doesn't power it down properly so the power supply needs to be unplugged before booting (huh? Really??) But that didn't work either. I'm at a lost right now so I think its time to return it. Got from the Egg so it shouldn't be a problem.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

What I was asking is how do you have the boot sequence configured? There should be a setting that lists the order of the devices the PC will boot from. Usually, you have an optical drive or floppy as the 1st or 2nd devices, if installed, and the hard drive with the OS next. Sometimes when you add another drive the BIOS automatically replaces the boot drive in the sequence with the new drive. Check the boot order with the new drive attached and make sure the original boot drive is listed as the hard drive to boot from in addition to the aforementioned floppy and/or optical drive.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Captain, thanks for your help. Here's the current setup.

CD-ROM Boot = Enabled
Floppy Boot = Enabled
Internal Network Adapter Boot = Disabled

the boot order is

USB Floppy
ATAPI CD/DVD Rom Drive
Notebook Hard Drive
USB Diskette on key
USB Hard Drive
! Network Adapter

Are the HDD's supposed to showing in the boot order?
On boot up with the Seagate plugged in, it get's stuck on the Bios setup screen, so I can't enter setup and change or view it.
With the Seagate unplugged I can get into the Bios, and it is set to the default. The WD was plugged in both instances. As I mentioned before, I tried changing the boot order and disabling the USB boot and ng......
post #6 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Hi Captain, thanks for your help. Here's the current setup.

CD-ROM Boot = Enabled
Floppy Boot = Enabled
Internal Network Adapter Boot = Disabled

the boot order is

USB Floppy
ATAPI CD/DVD Rom Drive
Notebook Hard Drive
USB Diskette on key
USB Hard Drive
! Network Adapter

Are the HDD's supposed to showing in the boot order?
On boot up with the Seagate plugged in, it get's stuck on the Bios setup screen, so I can't enter setup and change or view it.
With the Seagate unplugged I can get into the Bios, and it is set to the default. The WD was plugged in both instances. As I mentioned before, I tried changing the boot order and disabling the USB boot and ng......
Can you connect the Seagate USB drive after your notebook has booted up? If so, try that and then go into disk manager and see what kind of partition has been set up on it. If you formatted it as a primary active partition the notebook will get confused and hang up if it sees two active primary partitions during boot up. I'm not sure if there's a way to convert the partition to something other than an active one after it's been set up, but I suppose it's possible. Otherwise, you may have to move the data off the drive and reformat it. One option would be to resize the existing partition and then create a 2nd partition on the drive and move the data there. Then, delete the original active partition and then expand the 2nd one to fill the drive.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

I can't find where it tells me whether its an active primary or not. So I compared the properties of both and they're identical. Including USB mass storage. So I'm figuring the PC recognized it as a USB drive. I didn't format it myself. It came NTFS formatted and its plug and play so it connected and installed the drivers by itself. I'm moving the files as we speak. So later tonight I'll reformat it and see if that helps.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I assume you're using Windows 7, but if you're not then the process may be slightly different. Right-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop or from the stat menu and select "Manage." From the screen that pops up, select Disk Management. With Windows 7, the first partition on disk 0 that says System Reserved will indicate it as the active partition. Look at the USB drive and see if it also says "Active" in parentheses. If it does then that's your problem. One other method to check the drives if disk Manager doesn't show it is to use a disk partitioning software on a bootable CD, such as Partition Wizard or similar freeware program. Connect both drives and let it boot from the CD. You should be able to determine the partition properties from the display window. Windows just doesn't like having two active partitions on the same PC and will simply choke on it.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

I found it, thanks. So as you can see in the pic. Only Disk 0 shows Active. I got another 50 gigs to move and I'm hoping to reformat it later tonight.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, now I'm officially stumped. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you've got the 3TB drive formatted as a single partition and you're possibly running 32-bit Windows. I'm not sure how that would cause Windows not to boot, but you would only be able to see about 2.2GB of the drive. If you are running 32-bit, divide the drive into two partitions so you can use the entire drive.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 672
If you disable everything including boot from cd rom - and you disable every HDD except you C drive you will boot faster. I've had your problem and doing so also fixed it. Take away every option so the mobo has no choice but to simply boot from your c drive.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Haha.. I thought we got it for a minute. I reformatted the drive and the system booted up, but the drive didn't load. So I powered off/on and it loaded the drivers, rebooted and it got hung up again :
Captain,
I'm totally stumped too... I am running Win7 32 home premium, Thanks to Mfusick and friends on a different thread I was able to upgrade from Vista recently. I can see 2.7tb of the drive, and it's running as a single partition. I really don't want to get into partitioning it, for one, I don't have the software to do it and two, I'm only using this for media for the htpc so I need the whole thing anyhow. Is it typical for drives of this size to need partitioning? Idk... Newegg was very good about returning it, so unless I can figure this thing out this morning, its' OUT!! LoL

Mfusick,
Thanks for the tip, I tried that early on and ng... Question, in post #5 you can see I only have options to disable Cd-Rom and Floppy. I read somewhere that in Win7, USB boot also can be disabled, but I can't find that article. Do you know, so I can try that.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Not that this is of any help, but I have a WD 2 TB USB that does the same thing to me.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Haha.. I thought we got it for a minute. I reformatted the drive and the system booted up, but the drive didn't load. So I powered off/on and it loaded the drivers, rebooted and it got hung up again :
Captain,
I'm totally stumped too... I am running Win7 32 home premium, Thanks to Mfusick and friends on a different thread I was able to upgrade from Vista recently. I can see 2.7tb of the drive, and it's running as a single partition. I really don't want to get into partitioning it, for one, I don't have the software to do it and two, I'm only using this for media for the htpc so I need the whole thing anyhow. Is it typical for drives of this size to need partitioning? Idk... Newegg was very good about returning it, so unless I can figure this thing out this morning, its' OUT!! LoL

Mfusick,
Thanks for the tip, I tried that early on and ng... Question, in post #5 you can see I only have options to disable Cd-Rom and Floppy. I read somewhere that in Win7, USB boot also can be disabled, but I can't find that article. Do you know, so I can try that.

You should go ahead and disable USB, CD, and floppy. I've never seen a BIOS list "notebook hard drive" but that's not to say you are mistaken. Most I've used typically say "HDD," but there is another option within the HDD boot selection that allows you to select the "Order of HDD boot" or something like that. Most seagate external drives wouldn't show up under the USB boot options in BIOS, but under HDD instead. If you can go to the bios screen with the Seagate unplugged, then you should be able to plug it in after entering the setup/boot options menu. Then change your HDD boot priority to whatever your C: drive is, and in my experience the BIOS always lists drives by their UUID manufacturer/model name rather than C: D: etc.

Also, I'm not sure which drivers are being installed, but they are probably unnecessary. If you re-enter the disk management window through Computer->Manage then you should be able to delete the Seagate 3TB partition and start over. The volume will show 2794 GB as RAW, and Windows will ask if you'd like to Initialize the disk. (If it doesn't you can select "Initialize Disk" from the right click menu). The initialization will simply be a choice between MBR and GPT, and you should choose GPT and finish. Then you can right click and select "New Simple Volume." The volume wizard will take you through the size and letter/label assignment. This method will make the disk more ubiquitous to windows and prevent Seagate from rolling a bunch of backup assistant type freeware onto your system
post #15 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, but I went ahead and returned it this morning. As much as I would've liked to had solved the riddle, I couldn't take the chance of getting stuck with it. Hopefully some of the tips here will help others.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepP View Post

Not that this is of any help, but I have a WD 2 TB USB that does the same thing to me.
I'm not happy to hear that.. Since my WD My book has worked perfectly, I'm leaning towards replacing the Seagate with the 3tb My book. How long have you had it? Have you tried any of the tips described here?
post #17 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I haven't tried any of the tips yet. It's no longer high on my list of priorities but I will try it at some point. I've had the drive several years now. I have 2 seagate 4TB drives that are fine on the same computer when I reboot, so who knows?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page