Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 134 Old 08-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
not safe for work.

i think the traffic has dwindled with the economy. hobbies are the first thing to take the back burner when money is tight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 134 Old 08-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

??

What is NSFW ?

Nigel Standish For the Win.
post #123 of 134 Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of noticing things on this forum lately, has anyone else noticed that there's frequently a disconnect between the question that's asked in post number 1 in a thread and the questions that are answered in response?

Many people know something, and are so eager to spew it out that they don't take time to read the original post and formulate an actual answer to what's actually being asked.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #124 of 134 Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

Speaking of noticing things on this forum lately, has anyone else noticed that there's frequently a disconnect between the question that's asked in post number 1 in a thread and the questions that are answered in response?

I would replace your power supply and see if that fixes your problem. Power supplies, when starting to fail, cause this exact problem.

biggrin.gif
post #125 of 134 Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Many people know something, and are so eager to spew it out that they don't take time to read the original post and formulate an actual answer to what's actually being asked.
Yes, I have noticed numerous posts where folks want to disconnect from paying for TV. eek.gif
post #126 of 134 Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We entered the post-HTPC era a couple years ago. Same antagonist as PCs - mobile, particularly the tablet. Anyone who says the downdraft is cyclical or temporary will be proven wrong. It's gone forever. We're permanently losing infrastructure of vendors, and reader eyeballs.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #127 of 134 Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone mentioned the "White Elephant" in the room? FACEBOOK.

It seems not only AVS, but many of the auto forums I belong to are dealing with the same thing. If you really stop to think about it, the "BBS" forum format has existed since back in the "CompuServe" days.

I am probably one of the last holdouts from setting up an account, but will end up biting the bullet and just going for it. From what I can tell it is SO much easier to post pictures, links and organize areas of interest. All my (grown) kids buy, sell, find out about events, ask questions, etc on it.

I still lurk here daily, but as you can tell, have NOT posted much in the 9 years I have been a member.

Still, ALOT of info is here regarding ANYTHING related to HTPC, streaming, HDTV , audio etc, etc, Hope it will continue to educate and inspire enthusiasts to enjoy this great passion.
post #128 of 134 Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbar1 View Post

Anyone mentioned the "White Elephant" in the room? FACEBOOK.

It seems not only AVS, but many of the auto forums I belong to are dealing with the same thing. If you really stop to think about it, the "BBS" forum format has existed since back in the "CompuServe" days.

I am probably one of the last holdouts from setting up an account, but will end up biting the bullet and just going for it. From what I can tell it is SO much easier to post pictures, links and organize areas of interest. All my (grown) kids buy, sell, find out about events, ask questions, etc on it.

Not to worry, I will handily outlast you--and any other holdout who is even remotely considering joining Facebook.

All those things you mentioned--people got along quite well doing other ways long before FB. The fact that you CAN do those things is immaterial; you should ask yourself, SHOULD you do those things? And if so, under what circumstances?

You might WANT to do those things, but the cost is way, way too high. Just because it's not a direct hit to your money budget every month, doesn't mean the cost isn't there.

FB is taking advantage of a society that feels entitled to do what they WANT to without considering any repercussions. They make it available without financial cost to the user, then work very hard at hiding the repercussions and the actual cost the user will pay. And you know this to be true, because we regularly see stories about how FB has changed this or that feature, and how it's worse for the end user. That's not the real point, of course; the point is that the changes are better to FB's bottom line, and whatever it ends up costing the end user is irrelevant to FB.

FB figures, if people are so *stupid* as to give up all that they do just because FB make it "SO much easier to post pictures, links and organize areas of interest" and "buy,s ell, find out about events, ask questoins, etc.", then people get what they deserve.

I take it the other direction: if you as a business choose to do business exclusively on FB (I see lots of places do nothing but, even very large organizations), then I as a buyer choose to take my money elsewhere. That's perfectly fine.

Y'all can have FB.
post #129 of 134 Old 08-18-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I would replace your power supply and see if that fixes your problem. Power supplies, when starting to fail, cause this exact problem.

biggrin.gif

post #130 of 134 Old 08-19-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

I do this regularly, because it's typically clear when someone "doesn't know what they don't know." Often the 1st post doesn't ask questions due to the op being completely oblivious to the whole "scope" of an HTPCs capabilities. I figure it's best to offer everything up front rather than letting someone end up with buyers remorse

Also, speaking of "The Hobbit" did anyone see both the 3D and 3D HFR versions? I ended up seeing 3D in a typical Regal theater, but I saw the 48fps 3D version in our local IMAX. I did not care for 48fps effects on the opening scenes of the Dwarf Kingdom. The huge widescreen pans didn't end up looking perfect either way. I agree that they looked "better" in 48fps, but it was too much picture for me to enjoy in 2d or 3d on a projection screen setting.
post #131 of 134 Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 760
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jontanis.com%2Fgallery%2Fd%2F4048-1%2Flike-where-this-thread-is-going_jpg.jpg&hmac=b538e3ac78e734c4ccdef80c463c6b3f

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #132 of 134 Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I do this regularly, because it's typically clear when someone "doesn't know what they don't know." Often the 1st post doesn't ask questions due to the op being completely oblivious to the whole "scope" of an HTPCs capabilities. I figure it's best to offer everything up front rather than letting someone end up with buyers remorse

Oh, I absolutely get that--but at *least* acknowledge his question, that you understand what he's asking, and that your answer might not fit that question directly but it's come about over years of experience.

I'm talking about the posts that indicate that someone read about three words, then went off on some direction based on what he *thinks* the OP asked.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #133 of 134 Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just visited this forum today after not being on it for probably half a year. I was a regular visitor and contributor starting 10+ years ago. I am responding to the original post.

YES to everything you said.

Back when HTPC's were the wild frontier, it was fun and there was a lot of development going on. Today, not so much. My SageTV installation, although discontinued, does everything I want right now and their hardware extenders take the sting out of configuring drivers, graphic cards, HTPC software and the never-ending quest for silent & low powered HTPC parts. I can't tell you how many HTPC's I've gone through over the years, but now my only media PC sits in the basement.

I'm still enjoying the fruits of my labor after all these years, but I've come to a point where I don't need to be here asking questions any more. I miss the community, but as you said, other interests have taken over since what I have now Just Works™
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #134 of 134 Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

??

What is NSFW ?

NSFW = Not Safe/Suitable For Work (i.e. material that is more than likely to be against most workplaces' internet usage policies)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page