Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHarrington View Post

I have one stick of RAM (8gb), is it OK to just use one or do I need to install 2? And if so, does the second one also have to be 8gb?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Personally I always get dual chan kits of ram for my own systems and customer machines. It shouldn't make too much difference for a htpc.

If you decide to buy another stick it should be the same size voltage and timings and preferably the same model as the first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 08-01-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Yup dual channel memory only works with two identical sticks.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #33 of 40 Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are a few photos of my build. It was much easier than I thought it would be and I actually had a lot of fun doing it. If only the software & networking side of things were as fun...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
solavei.com/harringt0n

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #34 of 40 Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

unynemub.jpg
Play-Doh not included.

solavei.com/harringt0n

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #35 of 40 Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

4uru7a7u.jpgumabehaj.jpgdy8a3u9y.jpgjuzajy9e.jpgy8u8ugyn.jpgaterynys.jpguje8u2yd.jpg

solavei.com/harringt0n

post #36 of 40 Old 09-13-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Nice build. Looks about the same size as my little Acer 1920. I picked it up for $50 on ebay (no hard drive or OS included), cribbed some parts from other PCs, and plugged in my Ceton InfiniTV 4. I just had to add an extra fan to keep the Ceton cool. I have the same Sandisk SSD as you too. It's been working great. Much more reliable than my old OCZ. I have a 3TB drive and only 4GB RAM, plus an Ortek IR dongle. My system is nowhere near as nice as yours but it does fine for HTPC purposes and would be great for someone on a tight budget. And it's really quiet too.

One neat thing I did was plug a couple of extra USB ports into the MB, leaving them on the inside and plugging in the unifying receiver for my Logitech K400. That leaves all my external USB ports free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #37 of 40 Old 09-14-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Nice build. Looks about the same size as my little Acer 1920. I picked it up for $50 on ebay (no hard drive or OS included), cribbed some parts from other PCs, and plugged in my Ceton InfiniTV 4. I just had to add an extra fan to keep the Ceton cool. I have the same Sandisk SSD as you too. It's been working great. Much more reliable than my old OCZ. I have a 3TB drive and only 4GB RAM, plus an Ortek IR dongle. My system is nowhere near as nice as yours but it does fine for HTPC purposes and would be great for someone on a tight budget. And it's really quiet too.One neat thing I did was plug a couple of extra USB ports into the MB, leaving them on the inside and plugging in the unifying receiver for my Logitech K400. That leaves all my external USB ports free.[IMG ALT=""]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/275597/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Great idea and that's a nice looking box too. I really liked the case I picked while I was building it, it's really a great size, I only wish it was a matte finish so that the blu-ray drive didn't stick out like a sore thumb. What I need to do next is to figure out how to do this WOL shite.

solavei.com/harringt0n

post #38 of 40 Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Well done biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #39 of 40 Old 09-14-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Yep, WOL can be tricky. The key for me was a setting in my BIOS for waking from PCI. Made no sense to me since my ethernet was on the MB, but that did the trick. You'll also need to set allow wake, wake from magic packet in device manager in the power options for you ethernet device. If you use an IR remote, set the USB device to wake in device manger and in the BIOS.

post #40 of 40 Old 09-21-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Yep, WOL can be tricky. The key for me was a setting in my BIOS for waking from PCI. Made no sense to me since my ethernet was on the MB, but that did the trick. You'll also need to set allow wake, wake from magic packet in device manager in the power options for you ethernet device. If you use an IR remote, set the USB device to wake in device manger and in the BIOS.
Wow. This may be over my head.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 | www.solavei.com/harringt0n

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page