Way to watch OTA channels online or with xbmc? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been doing some research on how to remove cable altogether and go complete ota. The only issue i was having was how to see those channels online. I cant connect the antenna to the tv since its wallmounted. I need a way to connect the antenna to receiver or be able to stream channels directly on internet.and integrate them with xbmc.

My research led to hdhomerun, but i didnt want to buy yet another device..if I dont have to. Is there a better solution? some way to hook up the antenna to the receiver .

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm actually doing this now but I've ordered a HDHomeRun Dual, it was either that or a tuner I had to put in my HTPC. Should get it by Tuesday. On XBMC's wiki they have a guide on how to integrate it. There might be other ways but this seems like the best to me.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

there is no reason why you can't connect a TV antenna to the TV. If you can connect cable, you can do a TV antenna.

The rest I can't tell if you're trying to stream TV to a mobile device or PC, or just want access the EPG.
post #4 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrock_121 View Post

I have been doing some research on how to remove cable altogether and go complete ota. The only issue i was having was how to see those channels online. I cant connect the antenna to the tv since its wallmounted. I need a way to connect the antenna to receiver or be able to stream channels directly on internet.and integrate them with xbmc.

My research led to hdhomerun, but i didnt want to buy yet another device..if I dont have to. Is there a better solution? some way to hook up the antenna to the receiver .

TIA.

If your receiver has a coax input you can hook up an antenna to it. That said, if it doesn't have a TV tuner built in (HIGHLY unlikely that it does) you still won't be able to watch TV.

You can use the browser in your HTPC and navigate to the website of the channel you want to watch. There's some, but not all, content on-line and the live stream rarely is unless it is breaking news of some sort as it costs a lot to stream 24/7/365.

So basically you need to buy another device. My suggestion is to watch for them on sale using slickdeals, camelcamelcamel or camelegg and maybe even camelbuy. Deals are often posted here.

post #5 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

If your receiver has a coax input you can hook up an antenna to it. That said, if it doesn't have a TV tuner built in (HIGHLY unlikely that it does) you still won't be able to watch TV.

You can use the browser in your HTPC and navigate to the website of the channel you want to watch. There's some, but not all, content on-line and the live stream rarely is unless it is breaking news of some sort as it costs a lot to stream 24/7/365.

So basically you need to buy another device. My suggestion is to watch for them on sale using slickdeals, camelcamelcamel or camelegg and maybe even camelbuy. Deals are often posted here.
So what kind of devices are we talking about other than the hdhomerun?

My tv is wallmounted , so dont want to add a antenna to it which will look hideous around the clean solution right now. More over my stupid ARC isnt working on the vt60 panny. Could be because of the hdmi repeater inline.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

I'm actually doing this now but I've ordered a HDHomeRun Dual, it was either that or a tuner I had to put in my HTPC. Should get it by Tuesday. On XBMC's wiki they have a guide on how to integrate it. There might be other ways but this seems like the best to me.

so far this is al li have found.. either have a tuner in the htpc or buy the network hdhomerun.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:

so far this is al li have found.. either have a tuner in the htpc or buy the network hdhomerun.

It's not a bad option. What other ways were you hoping there would be? For integration with XBMC or JRiver this seems to me to be the best way.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

My tv is wallmounted , so dont want to add a antenna to it which will look hideous around the clean solution right now.

You need an antenna to get OTA, it's a simple as that. But the antenna doesn't have to be near the TV, all you need connected to the TV is the RG6 from the antenna, which can be in another room, closest, attic, or ideally the roof.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #9 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 10
Not sure what you mean by "be able to stream channels directly on internet", but if you are looking to watch tv when you are not home, try InstaTV Server. InstaTV Server will transcode live TV to h264/aac format for Android/iOS phone/tablet playback.
post #10 of 30 Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...My tv is wallmounted , so dont want to add a antenna to it which will look hideous around the clean solution right now. ...

As mentioned earlier, you're going to need an antenna to pick up the OTA signal; ideally on the roof. Of course, using some rabbit ears can work, in the short term, to give an idea what you can even get. I think antenna.org or titantv.com can give you list of what they think you should pick up too. But if you're going to do the whole house, find your distribution box in your house that cable uses. Just switch the input feed from cable to your antenna. You may need to get an antenna signal booster. Why rewire when you don't need to. The only issue, if you use cable internet, then you'll either need to figure out which line goes to the room with the modem and connect that room line with the outside in-feed line, or run a new line for that room.

The option, piggy backing off an earlier suggestion to just to connect to the your TV turner, assuming you use Windows Media Center or something, is to either have PC connect to each TV or some kind of media center, such as a Xbox 360, so all the TVs in the house can get live TV; this will also give all TVs access to your PVRed shows/moviess. I did the later, but it only to one TV because it predated ClearQAM.

As for tuners, some of it is going to depend on the machine(s) you're going to be using. Ceton have excellent turners. Some just use a expansion slot in a PC. You are able to share those tuners with your network; I'm not familiar with the ease of the setup or any quirks this has. The have some USB tuners as well; unfortunately, I'm even less familiar with them, but I assume sharing tuners can be done. Needless to say, you''ll need a computer on 24/7 or be able to wake from standby reliably.

The other popular option are the Silicondust HDHomerun network attached TV tuners (NATT). I personally use this. These are excellent turners as well. I personally use them. These are good choice if your PC doesn't have room or expansion slots for the something like the Ceton. All the tuners are shared through the network. You'll only need a PC to PVRing. I have a PC 24/7 but that's because it's unreliable in waking from standby and I run a Plex Media Server that I access a lot outside of home. Plus, it doesn't use much power anyway. If you're going OTA,, I suggest the HDHR3, not the HDHR3CC. Unfortunately, the HDHR3CC does not accept ATSC signal, only QAM and ClearQAM. The previous models accept both ATSC and ClearQAM. The HDHR3 versions are more signal friendly, so I think they may be a better option. Depending on when you make the switch, I would suggest the HDHR4 if it has been released. It's suppose to be able to transcode signals, which should give the abliity to watch on mobile devices such as away from home; this may be a solution to your streaming channels online. The transcoding thing can be done with the HDHR3CC, but it needs a PC to do the transcoding. And from what I read, the transcoding is only for the CC HDHR versions; stupid cable.
hardrock_121 and vandycamp like this.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I...I cant connect the antenna to the tv since its wallmounted. I need a way to connect the antenna to receiver....

It just dawned on me, your probably referring to a AVR when you mention receiver. Somehow I wasn't making the connection. Personally, I've never heard of a AVR accepting a direct TV feed. Not to say there isn't one, but it's just not common or highly wanted. The AVR is only good for audio and, depending on model, passing the video from one source, such as blu ray player, to the TV. Thus, if you're wanting a setup like that, you'll need to an OTA set top box, similar to your cable or satellite box. They're out there, but not very common.

Given you have a VT60, it has a build TV tuner. I suggest going with the suggestions mentioned earlier. Setting up the house may be a hassle, but it's overall more efficient and robust.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

So what kind of devices are we talking about other than the hdhomerun?

My tv is wallmounted , so dont want to add a antenna to it which will look hideous around the clean solution right now. More over my stupid ARC isnt working on the vt60 panny. Could be because of the hdmi repeater inline.

If you have an antenna you still need a PC tuner to connect to WMC to use the EPG and the recorder. You don't have to mount the antenna anyplace near your TV. You can put it in the attic for that matter.

post #13 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by netant View Post

Not sure what you mean by "be able to stream channels directly on internet", but if you are looking to watch tv when you are not home, try InstaTV Server. InstaTV Server will transcode live TV to h264/aac format for Android/iOS phone/tablet playback.
No, I wasnt thinking of streaming channels when I am not home. Basically.. watch TV channels on internet (live tv that is) . But this is good info to have, what you have mentioned.Thanks!
post #14 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you have an antenna you still need a PC tuner to connect to WMC to use the EPG and the recorder. You don't have to mount the antenna anyplace near your TV. You can put it in the attic for that matter.

Yep, I have a pc connected to TV .. so my options are connecting the antenna to a tuner in the pc or get a hddhomerun NATT , which should be picked up by xbmc as a dlna device. I dont trust dlna stuff, had issues in the past with wmc /ps3, might just go with a tuner in pc at that point.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

For the record I was planning on using the rabbit ear antenna's for OTA not the old fashioned antenna on the roof biggrin.gif
post #16 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

For the record I was planning on using the rabbit ear antenna's for OTA not the old fashioned antenna on the roof biggrin.gif

Your reception of said OTA channels will vary greatly based on the type of antenna you use (higher & outside is better), your location from the tower, interference, etc. The cheapest & cleanest solution is probalby a mohu antenna listed on this page connect behind the TV or as others have sugged a bigger antenna mounted in the attic or outside would get you the best reception: http://freetvee.com/ota-hdtv-antenna/ You would then only need to run a coax cable from the wall to your TV or PC with tv tuner, or HD Homerun...
post #17 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I was trying to find a way to hookup the hddhomerun 3 and doesnt look like xbmc can integrate with it ? I was hoping theres going to be a plugin for watching the tv.. but looks like there isnt?

If there is can any one point me to the right direction.

Basically I want something that can connect to a hdtv antenna and I should be able to watch those channels on my xbmc. Connecting a tv antenna to the tv directly isnt an option.

Thanks!
post #18 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK, for XBMC to do TV, you need to install/setup a backend to handle the tuner control:
http://lifehacker.com/5981757/how-to-watch-and-record-live-tv-on-your-xbmc-media-center
hardrock_121 likes this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #19 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

AFAIK, for XBMC to do TV, you need to install/setup a backend to handle the tuner control:
http://lifehacker.com/5981757/how-to-watch-and-record-live-tv-on-your-xbmc-media-center
Thanks I will chk that out .. I am quite surprised that the process is not well defined by now.. given this has been a much wanted discussed feature for a while
post #20 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 11:30 PM

I got mine up and running and turned in my Cable Card today! Officially cut the cord with cable. The HDHomeRun Prime doesn't work for OTA so I have a HDHomeRun Dual and I followed the LifeHacker steps to get mine up and running (don't forget to create a firewall exception). It seems like the recorder crashes with NextPVR, but I'm not sure because I rarely use it, I just see in the corner that the NextPVR symbol turns red and I have to restart the recording service. Where I live I get screwed with NBC, I need a directional antenna to pick it up but living in apartments kind of makes that a no go. My Mohu Leaf Ultimate works great though for getting everything in my town.

And EPG service that they recommend works really well, I'm still on the free trial but when it's up I'll be paying $25 a year for that. The setup should pay for itself in 2 months.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got mine up and running and turned in my Cable Card today! Officially cut the cord with cable. The HDHomeRun Prime doesn't work for OTA so I have a HDHomeRun Dual and I followed the LifeHacker steps to get mine up and running (don't forget to create a firewall exception). It seems like the recorder crashes with NextPVR, but I'm not sure because I rarely use it, I just see in the corner that the NextPVR symbol turns red and I have to restart the recording service. Where I live I get screwed with NBC, I need a directional antenna to pick it up but living in apartments kind of makes that a no go. My Mohu Leaf Ultimate works great though for getting everything in my town.

And EPG service that they recommend works really well, I'm still on the free trial but when it's up I'll be paying $25 a year for that. The setup should pay for itself in 2 months.

What are you going to do with the Prime?

post #22 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

What are you going to do with the Prime?

Hang onto it for the time being. Right now it's just me so OTA only makes sense, but if my girlfriend can find a job down here and moves then I'll probably be forced to go back to cable. It's such a good device that when I go back to cable I'll go right back to using the Prime. They are working on a 4 tuner device but once I start adding TV's to my setup I'll need both of them anyways.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hang onto it for the time being. Right now it's just me so OTA only makes sense, but if my girlfriend can find a job down here and moves then I'll probably be forced to go back to cable. It's such a good device that when I go back to cable I'll go right back to using the Prime. They are working on a 4 tuner device but once I start adding TV's to my setup I'll need both of them anyways.

So this # of tuners part gets me everytime... can you explain it like 5, what does it mean to have n number of tuners.. does it mean .. i can connect cable and antenna inputs to the box to see channels from 2 different sources? or does that mean , i can connect one antenna source foreg and watch it on 2 destinations ?
post #24 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It means you can record (watch) n shows at a time.

post #25 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:

So this # of tuners part gets me everytime... can you explain it like 5, what does it mean to have n number of tuners.. does it mean .. i can connect cable and antenna inputs to the box to see channels from 2 different sources? or does that mean , i can connect one antenna source foreg and watch it on 2 destinations ?

The number of tuners is the number of channels you'll be able to watch and record at the same time. So 5 tuners means you can watch 5 channels at once or record 5 shows or a combination of the two.

Right now my antenna is plugged into my dual tuner. So I can record one show and watch another or since it's a network tuner if I had 2 TV's I can watch channels on both (as long as they are connected to a HTPC or extender).
hardrock_121 likes this.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The number of tuners is the number of channels you'll be able to watch and record at the same time. So 5 tuners means you can watch 5 channels at once or record 5 shows or a combination of the two.

Right now my antenna is plugged into my dual tuner. So I can record one show and watch another or since it's a network tuner if I had 2 TV's I can watch channels on both (as long as they are connected to a HTPC or extender).

makes sense.. I am looking mostly for watching hd channels only not recording at this point but might do that later. Thanks!
post #27 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

That's one thing I missed about the HDHR2 in that it lets you use either or both OTA or cable. I would be happy with either OTA or cable from the same box. Granted, most people are trying to use both, but kind of silly to have to buy separate in case you're switching OTA to cable or vise versa. It's the only reason I'm holding onto my HDHR2.

I would really like to get an HDHomerun for OTA with four turners. Not so much I record and watch that much TV, but gives rooms as the family and TV setups expand without needing a bank of HDHRs.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

I would really like to get an HDHomerun for OTA with four turners. Not so much I record and watch that much TV, but gives rooms as the family and TV setups expand without needing a bank of HDHRs.

One advantage of a bank is redundancy. If you have an issue with one you still have the other (or others) to fall back onto. I just ran across this of late and the repair/swap (whatever they do) appears to run roughly three weeks including shipping. I went from TiVo to WMC and having four tuners is the best thing I gained. Often Sunday and Monday nights have three and four shows on at the same time... you don't watch more just better. smile.gif
post #29 of 30 Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Liked: 10
You can use Aereo if you happen to live in one of the few cities that have it at the moment. You basically rent a remote antenna from them for like $8 a month and they stream the signal over the internet. They even have remote DVR service as well. There's a lot of discussion on the web about the legality of it but I really hope they stay in business. I have issues getting a good signal on some of the OTA channels and this solves that problem. Quality is great and it's worked perfectly since I subscribed. They are only in a few cities at the moment though but have plans to expand to more cities in the future. May be a good option for you if you can get it. Website link below.

https://aereo.com/
post #30 of 30 Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Smith View Post

You can use Aereo if you happen to live in one of the few cities that have it at the moment. You basically rent a remote antenna from them for like $8 a month and they stream the signal over the internet. They even have remote DVR service as well. There's a lot of discussion on the web about the legality of it but I really hope they stay in business. I have issues getting a good signal on some of the OTA channels and this solves that problem. Quality is great and it's worked perfectly since I subscribed. They are only in a few cities at the moment though but have plans to expand to more cities in the future. May be a good option for you if you can get it. Website link below.

https://aereo.com/

No Areao where I am unfortunately..
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page