WMC7 has become unresponsive during movie playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recently my HTPC has become unresponsive when playing back movies in media browser in WMC7. Worked fine for long time and now i can watch a movie but after a while if i move the mouse for the control window to pop up to pause or stop etc. Nothing happens. Movie and audio continue playing just fine but i have to reset computer to get out of it. Any ideas?

Im running Windows 7 using Media Browser within MWC7.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Something is eating up your CPU cycles.

My question: Why do you use a mouse with WMC7 and MB? They are meant to be used with a remote control.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 18 Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

My question: Why do you use a mouse with WMC7 and MB? They are meant to be used with a remote control.

I have a universal but since we moved and ive added some new hardware ive not updated the remote control for it yet. Im just trying to figure out why it is unresponsive first and fix that.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

You will need to see what is running at the time, and what is taking all of the CPU power. Next time it freezes, try CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the task manager, and organize tasks or processes based on CPU load.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 18 Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You will need to see what is running at the time, and what is taking all of the CPU power. Next time it freezes, try CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the task manager, and organize tasks or processes based on CPU load.

Sorry its been a while. Been busy. But i got it to become unresponsive again last night while watching The Hobbit. I can see the mouse move on the screen but i cant click anything and my keyboard doesnt work. So i cant CTRL, ALT, DEL. All i can do is reset computer. I thought maybe it would be the USB was somehow powering down and i wouldnt be able to use my mouse and or keyboard. But i could use my mouse (movement only) so that ruled that out i suppose. I use a logitech combo with one unifiying receiver just fyi.

Any other ideas?
post #6 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcougher73 View Post

Sorry its been a while. Been busy. But i got it to become unresponsive again last night while watching The Hobbit. I can see the mouse move on the screen but i cant click anything and my keyboard doesnt work. So i cant CTRL, ALT, DEL. All i can do is reset computer. I thought maybe it would be the USB was somehow powering down and i wouldnt be able to use my mouse and or keyboard. But i could use my mouse (movement only) so that ruled that out i suppose. I use a logitech combo with one unifiying receiver just fyi.

Any other ideas?

Run a deep diagnostic on the hard drive. Bad sectors can cause freeze ups.

Run a deep memory scan, bad connections, or modules can cause freeze ups, but usually cause BSOD.

Is Hobbit encoded differently from other movies that don't cause freeze ups? i.e. a codec is cuasing issues and is taking up too much CPU cylces.

Start removing hardware or software, until you no longer have issues.

Edit: Overhating can cause freeze ups too. Monitor your CPU, Motherboard and hard drive tempratures.

post #7 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Run a deep diagnostic on the hard drive. Bad sectors can cause freeze ups.

Run a deep memory scan, bad connections, or modules can cause freeze ups, but usually cause BSOD.

Is Hobbit encoded differently from other movies that don't cause freeze ups? i.e. a codec is cuasing issues and is taking up too much CPU cylces.

Start removing hardware or software, until you no longer have issues.

Edit: Overhating can cause freeze ups too. Monitor your CPU, Motherboard and hard drive tempratures.

It seems to happen with anything video related now. Any movie. I even watched something on youtube the other day. Just to clarify when i say its freezing up im just talking about the keyboard and mouse. The video and audio will still be playing. I just cant control it or do CNTL+ALT+DEL or anything. Ill try a deep memory scan next time i have it one.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Use memtext86+ to test your RAM.

Also, try doing a system restore to a point where this started to occur. You say you've added new stuff. What is that, exactly? Have you added new h/w to your HTPC? New software?

Help us help you by being more complete in describing not only the issue but your system and software installed on it.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Use memtext86+ to test your RAM.

Also, try doing a system restore to a point where this started to occur. You say you've added new stuff. What is that, exactly? Have you added new h/w to your HTPC? New software?

Help us help you by being more complete in describing not only the issue but your system and software installed on it.

Ive not added anything new to the system. I did update the BIOS at one point but it didnt seem to give me any trouble when doing it. Could that be the cause?

Ill try the memtest next chance i get though. Thanks.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have a universal but since we moved and ive added some new hardware ive not updated the remote control for it yet. Im just trying to figure out why it is unresponsive first and fix that.

Quote:

Quote:

Use memtest86+ to test your RAM.

Ive not added anything new to the system. I did update the BIOS at one point but it didnt seem to give me any trouble when doing it. Could that be the cause?

Ill try the memtest next chance i get though. Thanks.

First off, I meant to type memtest86+.

Secondly, you said you added some new hardware to the system and then you stated that you did not. Can you clarify please?

post #11 of 18 Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

First off, I meant to type memtest86+.

Secondly, you said you added some new hardware to the system and then you stated that you did not. Can you clarify please?

Oh sorry.My bad. I meant new speakers and TV when i said hardware. But nothing actually new to my HTPC.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems to happen with anything video related now. Any movie. I even watched something on youtube the other day. Just to clarify when i say its freezing up im just talking about the keyboard and mouse. The video and audio will still be playing. I just cant control it or do CNTL+ALT+DEL or anything. Ill try a deep memory scan next time i have it one.

It is just screaming to me that your CPU can't keep up, and is not ignoring your keyboard requests, it just doesn't have enough cycles to respond.

What is the CPU, and memory you have on this Win 7 machine? Does it comply with hardware requirements? What is you Windows Experience Index?

post #13 of 18 Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is just screaming to me that your CPU can't keep up, and is not ignoring your keyboard requests, it just doesn't have enough cycles to respond.

What is the CPU, and memory you have on this Win 7 machine? Does it comply with hardware requirements? What is you Windows Experience Index?

I have an Intel i3-2125 CPU (i use the onboard graphics). 4GB of DDR3 memory and my Windows Experience Index is 5.9.

As far as i know it all complies with hardware requirements. I used Assassians guide a couple years ago for part suggestions and the build.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried doing a system restore to a point before the problem manifested itself yet?

post #15 of 18 Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Have you tried doing a system restore to a point before the problem manifested itself yet?

It seems i dont have any restore points before the 2nd of this month. So i guess that is out lol

Not sure how this memtest86+ thing works yet still.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-06-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you try the Chose More Restore Points option in system restore?

You put memtest86+ on a USB or burn it to a DVD and then set your bios to boot from whichever you chose. It is a bootable program that runs in DOS or a DOS-like manner. It will scan your memory for errors and report back. Let it run over night because sometimes it does not find an error until the second or third pass.

Another thing to try is crystal disc info. It is a windows utility that will tell you the general health of your HDD's. If you have a bad drive it will tell you.

post #17 of 18 Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an Intel i3-2125 CPU (i use the onboard graphics). 4GB of DDR3 memory and my Windows Experience Index is 5.9.

As far as i know it all complies with hardware requirements. I used Assassians guide a couple years ago for part suggestions and the build.

Could be a bad hard drive sector, or bad memory chip, or "leaking" memory.

post #18 of 18 Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Could be a bad hard drive sector, or bad memory chip, or "leaking" memory.

Yup. Crystal Disc Info and memtest86+.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page