MPC-HC plays videos smoothly under 100% cpu load, but XBMC stutters? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Occasionally my cpu will max out at 100% for a brief period of time when a program like Chrome or WMC is updating in the background or a tab in Firefox is acting up. If this happens and I'm watching a video in XBMC, it will stutter. If I watch the same video in MPC-HC with LAV filters and MadVR, it stays smooth. As a test, I ran a program that I knew would max out the cpu for 2 minutes. MPC-HC did not drop a single frame, and visually looked perfect. XBMC video stuttered every 3-10 seconds. Is this typical of other peoples experience? If so, what exactly is the reason for this? In MPC-HC I have "process priority above normal" checked, and in MadVR I have it set to load 4 frames in advance (default). Is this why the video stays smooth, or is it because LAV video has multithreaded decoding and XBMC doesn't? Or another reason? Is there any way to force XBMC to have a higher priority or otherwise avoid the stuttering under load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What type of CPU and GPU do you have? XBMC has issues with Intel GPUs.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

AMD Athlon BE-2300 and AMD 5450. Like I said it only stutters under 100% load, while MPC-HC stays smooth. Any other time it's perfectly fine.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Could it be whether the codec is DxvA or not?  I too have a BE-2350 with HD4550 and it plays fine.  BTW, I didn't think the MadVR ran with ATi graphics, only nVidia? 

post #5 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Set your player as external player using MPC-HC and don't ask questions wink.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Are you guys reading my original post? I'm not having any general issues with playback. I'm only asking why MPC-HC is able to play smoothly under sustained 100% cpu load, while XBMC will drop a frame here and there. There has to be something different between how the 2 players function. I'm just curious if anyone knows what that is. Whether it's better multi-threading, something that MadVR does differently to buffer frames in advance, ect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Set your player as external player using MPC-HC and don't ask questions wink.gif
I don't like how MPC-HC doesn't have FF/RW controls though. It's annoying. I know you can skip, but it's not the same. XBMC actually plays some problem files better too, and has a proper 10 foot media center UI while MPC-HC is more of a general video player.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MediaBrowser3 based on VLC with HD audio is going to be a game changer. It should combine the best of the two. Problem file compatibility + ON screen integrated interface + plug ins for extras = biggrin.gif

VLC is a pretty good player, and adding HD audio and integrating it should prove to be pretty awesome.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Are you guys reading my original post? I'm not having any general issues with playback. I'm only asking why MPC-HC is able to play smoothly under sustained 100% cpu load, while XBMC will drop a frame here and there. There has to be something different between how the 2 players function. I'm just curious if anyone knows what that is. Whether it's better multi-threading, something that MadVR does differently to buffer frames in advance, ect.
Do you have DXVA enabled under XBMC Settings->Video->Playback?
Quote:

MediaBrowser3 based on VLC with HD audio is going to be a game changer. It should combine the best of the two. Problem file compatibility + ON screen integrated interface + plug ins for extras = biggrin.gif
Madshi spent some time butchering the internal XBMC player to work with MadVR. In the end his notes on the experience were you have to either give full control to the renderer or full control to the GUI. XBMC chose the GUI and didnt ever intend to approve the swooping changes that would have been necessary to the trunk code. Mediabrowser is likely headed down the same path since they went with VLC in the first place rolleyes.gif Feature rich API? It seems like they want a nice on screen gui, so they won't likely be getting to pile madvr on top
post #9 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya, I'm using DXVA, otherwise my cpu wouldn't be able to handle most videos.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 AM

ReneTHX has a slide I read somewhere indicating the complexity of using XBMCs settings to get DXVA in different parts of video playback. In short, you can enable it from the contextual menu without ever enabling it through settings and it will behave differently. If you enable it through the context menu during playback and apply to all videos you'll be using h/w rendering but software decoding. If you enable in settings I don't believe you have a choice to disable in context menu, and you will be h/w decoding and rendering

Edit: Also meant to mention there is a big difference in XBMCs internal player and MPC-HC. XBMC internally uses ffmpeg and mpc-hc is more like a buffet line where you pick you splitter, a/v codecs, and renderer
post #11 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DVXA in XBMC has always sucked

-

post #12 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Deep and insightful biggrin.gif
post #13 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have an answer to my original question, why does XBMC drop frames at 100% cpu load and MPC-HC doesn't?
post #14 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

Deep and insightful biggrin.gif

It's the truth tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Does anyone have an answer to my original question, why does XBMC drop frames at 100% cpu load and MPC-HC doesn't?

Because DVXA in XBMC is broken dude. I told you in my insightful post below:
Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1368740/help-with-dxva-2/0_100

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457107/dxva2-in-xbmc-frodo/0_100

-

post #15 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because DVXA in XBMC is broken dude. I told you in my insightful post below:
Again, are you actually reading what I'm writing? I have no issues at all with DXVA in XBMC. XBMC itself never uses more than 5-15% cpu. I'm talking about when other programs are eating cpu in the background, Windows or Chrome updating, video encoding running and my cpu maxes out at 100%. MPC-HC with MadVR+LAV continues to play smoothly while XBMC will drop a frame here and there when the cpu is pegged at 100% for an extended period. I would hardly call that "broken". It's one very specific issue that I am curious about. I don't think it has anything to do with DXVA. MPC-HC is doing something differently that XBMC isn't, whether that's buffering frames in advance or using more threads while decoding I don't know, that's why I'm asking if anyone knows the technical answer. MPC-HC doesn't let other programs sucking up cpu affect it's playback. "Process priority above normal" is checked in player options.

Found this topic, looks like it might help. I guess the current version of XBMC doesn't buffer frames in advance.
Quote:
There was a PR pulled recently which implements buffering of video frames, maybe it could help.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=166559
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page