Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Guys,
I've read so many articles on ripping that I'm seeing double and there so much misdirection out there. This is simply what I want to do, could you give me a recommendation on what Windows software I would need to do this?

Requirements:
Rip Blurays movie only, no menus
Rip Blurays to a smaller file size and still keep an acceptable image quality
Retain HD audio dts-ma and Dolby-truhd
Be able to play thru an Xbox extender (hd audio not needed on extender)

Note* I already have anydvd HD installed

Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

Flan

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I don't know about the Xbox extender, but MakeMKV covers the rest.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 176
http://support.xbox.com/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/audio-video-playback

Get familiar with whats on that document so you can make the best decisions.

Wanting to play them on the extender makes everything more complicated. Ripping everything will become a multistep process because you want to keep the HD audio tracks.

The best container for the 360 is wtv. You can put more efficient h264 video into it, but not HD audio. It will give you the highest quality (though still less than bluray) of all containers.

If you have any Touchstone blurays they often use MPEG2 video and Dolby Digital audio. Making wtv files from those is pretty easy and gives perfect compatibility with WMC.

I abandoned the idea of playing movies on my 360 long ago when trying to make mkv files play. Windows tried transcoding everything on the fly to something the 360 could play and my PC wasn't powerful enough to do it.

I would test making MP4 files like this:
-mp4 container
-h264 video
-HD audio track
-2 channel AAC audio track (for the extender)

If the 360 can differentiate the two audio tracks you will be in business.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
So... I don't have a Xbox so I'm going off of what I've read in the last 5 minutes.

Here's the process I would suggest:
Rip the Blu-ray to your hard drive with AnyDVD HD (Right click on the little fox and "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..."
Open Handbrake 0.9.9 and open the folder that you ripped.
Set your Container to Mkv
On the picture tab set the Anamorphic to none and check Keep Aspect Ratio
On the Video tab set the Framerate to 23.976 and select Constant Framerate (you can double check the framerate by opening the stream file in Mediainfo)
Set the constant quality to 18
Set the x264 Preset to Very Slow
Set the x264 Tune to None or Film for regular movies and set it to Animation for animation.
On the audio tab use the HD audio track as the source and use AAC (faac) as the Codec and set the bitrate to 160 and samplerate to Auto. Set the Mixdown to Stereo. I typically use DRC .3 and Gain 1
Add another audio track with DTS-HD MA and DTS-HD Passthrough. Make sure the AAC track is listed first though.
Also on the Subtitles tab I usually add 1 with Source as Foreign Audio Scan and check Forced Only and check Burn In. I add another with the main Subtitle track and leave everything unchecked.

So... with that setup if you use a media server like Plex Media Server then the server should be able to deliver the correct HD audio when you want it and it should be able to remux the mkv into a compatible mp4 for the Xbox extender instead of having to transcode.

You'll need to rip out the audio tracks that Handbrake doesn't support though like True HD and mux them back into the track. There's probably a cleaner way to do that.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Rip using MakeMKV and retain just the HD audio and forced subtitles. Play using a media player like the WDTV Live. It's small and inexpensive (get a refurb from Western Digital for about $60-70) and will supplement your X-Box nicely.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Thanks for the suggestions.

Ultimately I will be playing the files on my HTPC and want to keep the HD audio. But if I'm in a different room watching the Xbox extender, Will it just down convert to regular ol' Stereo?

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #7 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflanagan View Post

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ultimately I will be playing the files on my HTPC and want to keep the HD audio. But if I'm in a different room watching the Xbox extender, Will it just down convert to regular ol' Stereo?

If you don't have a compatible audio track then the server software would need to transcode. If you re-encode the video with the AAC audio track as the first track then it will just direct play.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

mflanagan said he cares about image quality. Don't re-encode the Blu-rays, rip them to MKV with MakeMKV, which retains the original quality, but discards unnecessary audio tracks and extras on the disc to save space that way.
If the Xbox can't stream those files directly, use software that transcodes on-the-fly when it's streaming.

That way you have Xbox compatible streaming, but retain the original quality for watching on the HTPC, or future devices. The Xbox One/PS4 may be able to stream those files without transcoding for example.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

He said, Rip Blurays to a smaller file size and still keep an acceptable image quality, which implies (he will have to clarify) that he needs to limit the amount of storage he is going to consume. Obviously "acceptable" will be different for everyone but it's doable no matter what your personal definition is. Transcoding on the fly is going to give you significantly worse PQ than encoding the file with something like Handbrake. Even incredibly high compression settings in Handbrake will yield better results than transcoding on the fly.

So if playback on HTPC is the only PQ concern and storage space really isn't a concern then ripping with MakeMKV will probably be an option.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 162
MakeMKV is the simplest option. You can select both the HD and 3.1+2 (usually the other audio option) track and it should work on your Xbox. I personally don't use the extender, so I may be mistaken on this, but in my experience, from my HTPC the HD audio will be passed thru to my receiver which does the work there. On my Roku it will just play the default audio track, which I believe is the option in MakeMKV that shows up as the 3.1+2 option.

edit: If file size is an issue, add in MeGUI and set the bitrate to 10,000 for just the video file. Generally will bring the file down to around 8-10GB (and in my opinion you cannot tell the video difference from you viewing position). Once you merge the audio track back in (I use MKVMerge) it generally gives me a file at roughly 15GB with lossless HD audio.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
Facebook: www.facebook.com/gundumgaming
post #11 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

He said, Rip Blurays to a smaller file size and still keep an acceptable image quality, which implies (he will have to clarify) that he needs to limit the amount of storage he is going to consume. Obviously "acceptable" will be different for everyone but it's doable no matter what your personal definition is. Transcoding on the fly is going to give you significantly worse PQ than encoding the file with something like Handbrake. Even incredibly high compression settings in Handbrake will yield better results than transcoding on the fly.

So if playback on HTPC is the only PQ concern and storage space really isn't a concern then ripping with MakeMKV will probably be an option.
You can save anything from 5-20GB per disc if you're ripping with MakeMKV and only extracting the film itself with the HD audio track.
As for quality, MakeMKV is 1:1 with the original disc when played back on the HTPC. If using realtime transcoding to an Xbox, it will probably be worse than offline conversion.
But if you do an offline conversion when ripping the disc to a format that the Xbox likes natively, you now have a "source" file which is worse than the original Blu-ray, and you will probably end up having to rip the disc again at some point. (I learned this the hard way when ripping my CD library to a non-lossless format)

Offline conversion is also going to be a very slow process if you have a large library, and I wouldn't have thought an Xbox extender would be the primary concern for video quality - usually streaming to networked devices is about convenience rather than quality. (otherwise you'd be streaming to another PC)

MakeMKV only takes about 5-10 minutes to convert a rip, which is significantly quicker than re-encoding the video.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Don't re-encode the Blu-rays, rip them to MKV with MakeMKV, which retains the original quality, but discards unnecessary audio tracks and extras on the disc to save space that way.
That would imply that MakeMKV is deleting source material, which is not true. You have to specify which audio, video, and subtitle tracks you wish to retain and MakeMKV will extract only what you specify and place it in an mkv container. MakeMKV doesn't discard anything since the original source remains intact.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page