Media Backup Solution Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Sorry for the new thread, tried to find the answers via search.

I've got my media on my home server and I gave Acronis a spin a while back. I am debating about purchasing a full license, however I was curious if anyone out there had an alternative solution/recommendation?

Essentially I am wanting to backup my movies (dvd + bluray), photos, music and some iso files. I need a software that will give me a proper incremental style that does a full back say once every 2 weeks and then backup the files that are added in between on a daily basis. Granted I dont add content daily, but there are those rare weeks when I add a new tv collection.

Anyone have any software besides Acronis they really enjoy/trust?

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Paragon and Macrium are other good solutions. I personally use Acronis and it has been working perfectly.

Why would you want to backup your media though? Don't you have the discs?
post #3 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Paragon and Macrium are other good solutions. I personally use Acronis and it has been working perfectly.

Why would you want to backup your media though? Don't you have the discs?

Yes, but two main reasons:

1. I am intending to rebuild my server so I can incorporate virtualization for my work and need easy file level restore.
2. I don't mind having to re-rip everything in the event of a failure, but I would just rather not. Call me lazy tongue.gif

I'll review the other two. Thanks for the recommendation.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #4 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 15
what operating system ?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WHS 2011

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #6 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Do you run any sort of RAID? That could save you from having to rerip incase of a hard drive failure. Backing up terabytes of media seems wasteful, especially when you have all the discs.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Crashplan.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an external HD attached to my media center, and it backs up everything (recorded TV, media, applications, etc). With Windows backup I have to keep an eye on the space left and go in and delete older backups manually. If I forget I don't get a backup until I do that again (and I have to do it probably once a month).

Does Acronis automatically delete older backups? I really like that feature of Apple's Time Machine. As long as I remember to plug the drive in periodically, it just keeps backing up stuff and removes the really old stuff automatically.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have been using a 5 bay AMS Venus T5 currently stripping 4 4TB drives and backing up weekly with the Windows 7 backup program. This has worked for me for a number of years-of course I started with 1.5TB drives before the larger drives were available.

How much space do you need?
post #10 of 14 Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guess I could expand on my config some more-

6TB jbod, in a disk pool using DriveBender. As I understand it the data is presented as a single disk, but the files are spread across all of the disks and remain there even if I remove one from the pool. I have 3TB in a DAS that I have tested backing up to. I would prefer to have 1 copy of the flat files JUST in case something goes way wrong. Once I figure out the full server component upgrade I will likely implement a raid solution, but even then I would still like to have a backup of the flat files. Currently I am using a little over 2TB of data and I know it will grow somewhere between 20-30% annually, so I wont be reaching my cap anytime soon. Hardward is mostly computer grade parts, so server components yet. Reviewing Paragon and Macrium. Will look at Crashplan too.

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #11 of 14 Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 AM

Liked: 15
whs 2011 already has what you need for a backup program and it works well, just add a large ext hard drive or setup a large internal drive for backup purpose.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
By flat file I guess you are talking about jbod as opposed to stripping to one large drive letter composed of multiple had drives. I think the consideration is the cost and hassle of redundancy. In my experience hard drives that work when they are first put in service tend to keep working. I have replaced older smaller hard drives with newer larger hard drives in the computer and then restored data to newer drive from direct attached storage. The backup program in Windows 7 works fine for this and I have not tried alternative backup programs and therefore cannot compare alternatives.

However, Windows 7 wants to do a complete new backup every couple of months. So you either need enough space for two backups or you have to delete the old backup for space for a new backup. It takes about 30 hours for me to backup 7TB. So, I have time and the cost of space considerations vs. the likelihood of of a catastrophe of a simultaneous hard drive failure in both the computer and the storage unit. If the catastrophe happened I would lose data, but then I am not backing up accounts due which would put me out of business. The cost of no risk of losing data is high.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I'd suggest this:

1) Backup anything that you can't recover, ideally off site. I use Crashplan to back up my digital photos (like 240GB last I saw a report) and documents. I also periodically copy them all to an external hard drive. It's way quicker to restore from an external HDD than the internet, but if something takes out my whole house my photos are still safe on Crashplan (or if Crashplan dies, I've still got two copies).

2) Your original discs are your backup of your media.

3) If you want to protect your effort spent ripping said media, look into redundancy, traditional RAID, unRAID, Flexraid, etc, these are way more practical for many TBs of data than "backup" solutions. Especially when you don't need to store old versions of your media.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #14 of 14 Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I'd suggest this:

1) Backup anything that you can't recover, ideally off site. I use Crashplan to back up my digital photos (like 240GB last I saw a report) and documents. I also periodically copy them all to an external hard drive. It's way quicker to restore from an external HDD than the internet, but if something takes out my whole house my photos are still safe on Crashplan (or if Crashplan dies, I've still got two copies).

2) Your original discs are your backup of your media.

3) If you want to protect your effort spent ripping said media, look into redundancy, traditional RAID, unRAID, Flexraid, etc, these are way more practical for many TBs of data than "backup" solutions. Especially when you don't need to store old versions of your media.

Good points. Most here do something similar.

I stick with the idea that my data isn't backed up unless I have three copies. That would be the original, a local backup, and an offsite backup. If my original is lost I have a local backup. If my local or offsite backup is lost then I would recreate it from the original. If both the original and local backup are lost then I fall back to the offsite. So my irreplaceable data (photos, documents, home movies) is backed up using Windows Server 2012 Essentials backup to a local disc (similar to WHS 2011). This provides my local backup that can be accessed to restore either to bare metal or file level. The original data is also monitored and backed up using CrashPlan to a 1.5TB external HDD located out of state at my parents' house. This is a free service since I'm not using the CrashPlan cloud server, just seeded the drive and took it with me on the next visit. My current offsite backup is about 900GB right now including over 35,000 photos.

For my replaceable data, such as movies and TV, I drop that down to rely on local parity restore using FlexRAID. This is mainly backup for single HDD failure.

Reply Home Theater Computers