Nvidia Geforce GTX660 not playing nice with new Yamaha RX-V773 receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been using a home theater PC since my first HDTV in 1999, but this is the first time now I've used a receiver as an HDMI switch.

I have an Alienware X51 with the GTX 660 in it, and it works great to TV directly, but when I go through the Yamaha, I lose the signal when it's been on another input for too long.

Computer runs Windows 8 Pro and media center, also is my Logitech Alert system so it never sleeps, it's on 24/7.

Initially I had it set to never let the display sleep either, but my first attempt to combat this was to set the monitor to sleep after an hour. I thought maybe the movement of the touchpad on my mini keyboard would "wake" it up and force it to renegotiate the connection.

For a bit that seemed to work but I think it was working more due to other timing, not this setting.

I can switch back and forth in short periods of time and not lose the signal, but if I sit with it at my Uverse input and have my son watching some shows for a while, it won't come back short of a reboot, so for now I've got a Wemo power switch that the computer plugs into, so at least I can just hard power it off and back on with my phone when I need to. But being in IT, I hate hard powering off a windows machine, I've seen what that can do... So this is not an optimal solution. Only upside is I have an SSD in this so the boot time is quick.

I remember reading years ago about people having similar issues and buying an HDMI switch to put inline, to persist the "connection" for the computer, but in my searching and digging, I'm not finding any examples on google the last few weeks I've looked. May be because those threads were from so long ago.

Oddly enough, when I have the Yamaha powered, I have overscan on my TV (Samsung 55" LED), but when I power off the amp and let it do passthrough instead, then I get perfect sizing at the default 1920x1080 the computer is set to. But either way I have the signal loss. Powering the receiver on and off doesn't resolve it, only the PC.

I don't mind picking up a switch if it'll solve this for me, but I don't know which ones are good for this particular need. I'd rather not go through three or four with Amazon, returning them until I find one that works, so if someone can point me to a unit that will do the trick, or has another idea for this particular hardware combination, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 14
there is currently a problem with HDMI hot plug detection with Nvidia that seems to affect some setups. assuming the receiver/TV combination is not the issue in your case.

you could try a gefen HDMI detective, but some people have run into hdcp errors with Nvidia. if you put the hdmi detective b/w the receiver and tv, it may fix the issue for you and get around the nvidia problem.

I have an issue where the audio cuts out after sleep or turning the tv off for awhile and found a method to fix it with a .bat file. but it sounds like that will not work for you if you do not have video.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, doubt it's anything between receiver and TV - I have Xbox 360, PS3, Wii-U, and Uverse all running HDMI through it and I never have a problem switching anywhere except back to the PC...

I love the repetition of the issue. The forum posts i found in here from my search had some back from 2008 timeframe with people talking about the HDMI issues with Nvidia and how they were resolved. Must be a cyclical thing with them...
post #4 of 9 Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Pulling the power plug on the PC is almost the worst thing you can do. Have you tried pulling the hdmi cord for a few seconds?

I solved a similar problem with a device called Dr HDMI, just like the Gefen unit it copies the EDID and keeps the hdmi connection alive regardless of what the AVR is doing. There is also a little program I found that might work. It's supposed to reset the hdmi handshake. I guess you assign a hotkey to trigger it.

HdmiYo Program

Dr HDMI Product $99
post #5 of 9 Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Hammerdwn. Downloaded hdmiyo and installed - so i'll see what happens next time things time out. Should know inside an hour. I'll report back.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-17-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

No joy with hdmiyo....

I'll see if anyone has a switch like ones I remember seeing recommended in the past that were in the $30 to $40 range rather than $120. Otherwise I'll just deal with powering it off remotely.

I may have to see what kind of optical out options I have on the alien for sound, and run the HDMI straight to the TV for the computer but run the sound out another output to the receiver...
post #7 of 9 Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 37
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDthird View Post

No joy with hdmiyo....

I'll see if anyone has a switch like ones I remember seeing recommended in the past that were in the $30 to $40 range rather than $120. Otherwise I'll just deal with powering it off remotely.

I may have to see what kind of optical out options I have on the alien for sound, and run the HDMI straight to the TV for the computer but run the sound out another output to the receiver...

well hdmiyo did not work for me either.

Here is my workaround for when i lose audio. Should probably just post it here instead:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/547165/-workaround-nvidia-hdmi-audio-ldquo-not-plugged-in-rdquo-hotplug-detection-failure-after-sleep/
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page