Need Help With VLC Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, fist specs. Windows 7 x64 with HDMI cable from MoBo to HDTV. Very Simple.

Now, I had to reinstall Windows 7 on my system, and obviously reinstall VLC. Before, I could play everything just fine. But now, my .mkv files with dts audio will play video but no audio.

I cant figure out what. I have tweaked the settings and still cant get it to work. Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Exactly what motherboard do you have?
In particular, what is the manufacturer of the audio/video/HDMI chipset?

Have you installed up to date video drivers downloaded from the video hardware's manufacturer?
(The drivers provided by Microsoft often are way out of date.)
HDMI audio drivers usually are provided with the HDMI video drivers.

Selden
post #3 of 5 Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think Selden has a good lead for you there. I recently found myself in the same situation, only it was with Zoom Player, and only MP3 and AAC audio failed to play... other formats were fine. Somebody at the ZP forum finally suggested I check to see if I had reinstalled the MB's audio drivers. Sure enough, I hadn't, but as soon as they were installed everything played again.

Also, since you're missing all audio output, check to see that Windows or VLC's audio isn't muted in the Windows audio mixer settings. They're known to sometimes mute themselves for no apparent reason.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Drop VLC for MPC-HC with LAV.

post #5 of 5 Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, I just want to say that the problem has been resolved! I will explain at the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Exactly what motherboard do you have?
In particular, what is the manufacturer of the audio/video/HDMI chipset?

Have you installed up to date video drivers downloaded from the video hardware's manufacturer?
(The drivers provided by Microsoft often are way out of date.)
HDMI audio drivers usually are provided with the HDMI video drivers.

My MoBo is a Gigabyte Z77-D3H with an Intel i7 3770 CPU. This CPU has Intel HD 4000 graphics and for audio I have Intel Device Audio. The driver for Intel Device Audio has been tricky for me to find, so I only have the version that Windows 7 supplies me with. But you are right about those being out of date occasionally. I want to thank you for your response, which I believe might have helped me resolve the problem. Please read the end of my post to see what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

I think Selden has a good lead for you there. I recently found myself in the same situation, only it was with Zoom Player, and only MP3 and AAC audio failed to play... other formats were fine. Somebody at the ZP forum finally suggested I check to see if I had reinstalled the MB's audio drivers. Sure enough, I hadn't, but as soon as they were installed everything played again.

Also, since you're missing all audio output, check to see that Windows or VLC's audio isn't muted in the Windows audio mixer settings. They're known to sometimes mute themselves for no apparent reason.

I had already installed the audio driver, but it was a good idea to check. Also, I might not have clarified, but I was not missing all audio output. All audio output worked perfectly except .dts audio from inside .mkv files. I do not have any standalone .dts audio files, so I am not sure if they would play or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Drop VLC for MPC-HC with LAV.

I am unfamiliar with MPC-HC, and also with LAV. Would you care to elaborate? But I must say, I have been extremely pleased with VLC. What benefits would MPC-HC offer me?

As for how I fixed the problem (if I even had anything to do with it), it is very simple. Following Selden Ball's advice, I went to Device Manager and found my Intel Device Audio driver. From there, I asked Windows to check for a newer version. Windows informed me that the version I had installed was the best available. So I said OK and tried to look online for a newer version. But I couldn't find it, so I went to look in the settings again. In order to get to the settings, I had to open VLC. When I played a video to open VLC, the audio was working. This was a file that wasn't working before. So either the Windows driver check somehow fixed it (odd if true), or else it somehow resolved itself without my knowledge.

Anyway, thank you guys for your help!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page