USB To HDMI Converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here's my setup, I have a 3TB external hard drive housing all of my movies...I'm looking for a way to connect the hard drive to my denon receiver by hdmi...what are some good USB to hdmi converters or cables that will transfer full 1080p and surround audio to my receiver? I'm not looking to stream but to have everything wired.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrscort View Post

So here's my setup, I have a 3TB external hard drive housing all of my movies...I'm looking for a way to connect the hard drive to my denon receiver by hdmi...what are some good USB to hdmi converters or cables that will transfer full 1080p and surround audio to my receiver? I'm not looking to stream but to have everything wired.

Thanks.

I'm not aware of any receivers that can read movies directly from a USB drive. You need some sort of intermediary like an HTPC, Popcorn Hour, or Dune HD player.

Looky here!
post #3 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I'm not aware of any receivers that can read movies directly from a USB drive. You need some sort of intermediary like an HTPC, Popcorn Hour, or Dune HD player.

No receiver will play movies through the USB port which is why I'm looking for a decent USB to hdmi cable or USB to hdmi converter.
post #4 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
post #5 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A USB to hdmi converter is only for use by a PC/laptop to send video out over the USB port and then connect to a receiver or tv. It's not for connecting a hard drive.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #6 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

No such thing exists...

These things DO exist, sometimes they're called HTPC's, sometimes they're called Media Players. They can take data on a USB drive and convert it to a format that HDMI understands so your receiver can play the audio and pass the video through to your TV. wink.gif

Looky here!
post #7 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

A USB to hdmi converter is only for use by a PC/laptop to send video out over the USB port and then connect to a receiver or tv. It's not for connecting a hard drive.

Isn't it taking the information from the hard drive on PC or laptop? So why wouldn't it work for the hard drive?
post #8 of 26 Old 07-19-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Something has to be able to decode the video and audio.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Isn't it taking the information from the hard drive on PC or laptop? So why wouldn't it work for the hard drive?
because there's no receiver on the market that can decode the video. Right now they can only upscale it or passthrough. I recommend you look at a bluray player that can perform this function. They're inexpensive and can decode many types of files.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

because there's no receiver on the market that can decode the video. Right now they can only upscale it or passthrough. I recommend you look at a bluray player that can perform this function. They're inexpensive and can decode many types of files.

Wouldn't the converter take care of the decoding? Something like this device?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L7QH1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ
post #11 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Sort of, but you're kind of hitting a semantic barrier. USB is a bidirectional connection for transporting generic data. On the other hand HDMI is (essentially) a unidirectional connection for transporting raw video data.

Now the term "adapter" has the connotation of meaning of (in this context) converting one type of video data to another. So there's the issue, USB doesn't necessarily transport video, so there's nothing to adapt.

To put it another way: A USB video adapter (USB to HDMI for a PC) doesn't "take" anything, it requires something to "push" video data over USB to it, so that it can convert that video data to HDMI format. In addition to that it requires something on the PC to first select which video file to play, and second decode the video file (which is compressed) into raw video and pipe it out over USB.

The reason it won't work with a hard drive is because a hard drive doesn't have the capability of either selecting the video or converting the compressed video to raw video.

What you need then is a "device" that can select, read, and decode the video files on a hard drive and output the resulting raw video over HDMI. There are many such devices but the terminology is a "media player", which can either be a dedicated box (WD TV Live, Popcorn Hour, even some Blu-ray players - Dune/Oppo/etc) or some software on a PC.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #12 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Wouldn't the converter take care of the decoding? Something like this device?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L7QH1O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ
AGAIN NO! (unless you plug it into a laptop or computer)... Give it up. you need a media player.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Reminds me of working in a PC repair shop years and years ago.

Once a month we'd have somebody come in with some string of "adapters" (usually acquired from Radio Shack) hanging off the back of their PC with no hope of it ever working.

My favorite was a guy that had an old "combo" ethernet card with 10 Base-T, 10 Base-2 and AUI connectors on the back. He bought it at some auction and thought it was a modem/sound card, and had plugged his phoneline into the RJ-45 connector, a joystick in the AUI connector and had a BNC -> Phono -> 1/8" Stereo Jack adapter on the back to plug his speakers in. It took an hour to explain to him that just because all of the connectors fit, didn't mean that they were sending the right information.

If I had a signature, this is where it would be.
post #14 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Aluratek's AUH200F USB-to-HDMI Adapter is the perfect solution to connect your computer to your HDTV

Minimum System Requirements
Windows XP: 1.6GHz Atom or Celeron CPU, 512MB RAM
Windows 7: 1.4GHz Core2 Duo CPU, 1GB RAM
Mac: 10.4.11 or later (Intel-based only)
post #15 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Any device that "converts" USB to HDMI is an external video card. It requires a computer.
You have media files stored on your hard drive, but that's all it is - storage.

You need a media playback device to play the files stored on the hard drive. These days, most of them will offer an HDMI output.
This could be anything from a PC to a Popcorn Hour box, or any number of other media players that accept a USB input.
post #16 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Do they support 3TB drives?
post #17 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Do what support 3TB drives?
post #18 of 26 Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think he is asking if the media players with usb ports support 3TB drives (many probably don't as I know 2 of mine and my bluray players don't but I am sure some do). I believe the first question should be does the media player support the file format that it is saved as. Yes he can reencode his entire library to save it in a format the player can handle but with the quantity he seems to be stating he has, that would also probably mean the purchase of another 3TB drive in addition to the media player, then he will probably be complaining of quality... To me that is why you use a HTPC as you can control what it can (and can't) play and are not confined to what someone else allows you to do (unless of course the drm locks it down well enough, then you are at their mercy on how to use the content, but that doesn't sound like it would be a problem for his content).

There may be some android (PC) on a stick variants that will do what he intends but I would not call them a USB to HDMI adapter/converter..
post #19 of 26 Old 07-21-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

I think he is asking if the media players with usb ports support 3TB drives (many probably don't as I know 2 of mine and my bluray players don't but I am sure some do). I believe the first question should be does the media player support the file format that it is saved as. Yes he can reencode his entire library to save it in a format the player can handle but with the quantity he seems to be stating he has, that would also probably mean the purchase of another 3TB drive in addition to the media player, then he will probably be complaining of quality... To me that is why you use a HTPC as you can control what it can (and can't) play and are not confined to what someone else allows you to do (unless of course the drm locks it down well enough, then you are at their mercy on how to use the content, but that doesn't sound like it would be a problem for his content).

There may be some android (PC) on a stick variants that will do what he intends but I would not call them a USB to HDMI adapter/converter..

Yes I was talking about the media player supporting 3tb hard drives....I don't think file formats will be an issue...my standard DVDs are coded mp4 and blu rays are mkv...my Samsung blu ray player won't read the large hard drive and I think it's limited to reading up to 2tb...I haven't tried the ps3 yet but my guess is I will have the same issue as my blu ray player...I have a laptop I barely use so ill look to convert that into an htpc.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
post #20 of 26 Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
I don't think file formats will be an issue...

Don't assume. Always check the specs before you buy, some players may only support one format.
Quote:
.my standard DVDs are coded mp4 and blu rays are mkv...

This again shows you don't know what you are talking about. Mp4 and Mkv are just containers; the videos can me a number of different codecs/resolutions/bitrates. A lot of media players won't play back mkv's.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a laptop with many USB connections along with a 1394firewire and one PC video connection. I am wondering which is the best to connect to my new TV that doesn't have a PC connection??

Or how about a laptop PCI-E card to hdmi adapter???

It has 3 HDMIs and 1 shared RGB/Composite in, a 2013 built 58 inch model Sanyo.

I remember reading somewhere that the RGB is no longer able to display HD, for 2010 build date forward. So I guess that is no longer a option........

Thanks

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #22 of 26 Old 02-08-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

You may already have a device that can play these files (a blu-ray player or smart TV). If so and they don't work with 3TB drives, just create a partition so the device will see it as two drives.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-08-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

I have a laptop with many USB connections along with a 1394firewire and one PC video connection. I am wondering which is the best to connect to my new TV that doesn't have a PC connection??

Or how about a laptop PCI-E card to hdmi adapter???

It has 3 HDMIs and 1 shared RGB/Composite in, a 2013 built 58 inch model Sanyo.

Doesn't your laptop have HDMI/DVI/Displayport?
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that the RGB is no longer able to display HD, for 2010 build date forward. So I guess that is no longer a option........

That's only for consumer electronics devices (Blu-ray players).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #24 of 26 Old 02-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
No HDMi or DVI connection, I have used the regular external PC monitor connection before but my new TV doesn't have one of those....

It is a Gateway MX7118 (Model No W730-K8X body), 2006 WinXP Media Ed.

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #25 of 26 Old 02-08-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

No HDMi or DVI connection, I have used the regular external PC monitor connection before but my new TV doesn't have one of those....

It is a Gateway MX7118 (Model No W730-K8X body), 2006 WinXP Media Ed.

You'll need a VGA to HDMI convertor. Monoprice sells them for a decent price.

Looky here!
post #26 of 26 Old 02-09-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually since the TV has RGB in, you should be able to use an HD15 (VGA) to 3 or 5 (depending on what the TV needs) RCA cable.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page