intel iGPU and XBMC bug with latest drivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 169

Just setting up a new HTPC. Brand new install with fully updated drivers. W7Ultimate, Asrock Extreme 6, XMBC 12.2, i5-4670K iGPU.

The glitch does not show when playing a movie, only when there is a menu overlay with the movie. I also see it on the movie Up Arrow menu. See screenshots. I'm stuck as to what the problem is.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seems this is a bug with the latest intel drivers with XMBC and has been around for a bit. If you have a IVB or SB CPU, roll back the driver to a previous version. I you are a trailblazing Haswell user, people have reported success using the Win8 beta driver. Information here.
http://communities.intel.com/thread/38686?start=0&tstart=0
post #3 of 12 Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

just finished the download/installation and can confirm that this works.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Am I weird that I am the only one that just doesn't prefer XBMC ? Seems like I am eek.gif

Do mind if I ask why you chose it?

Is it because your more familiar with it so it's just easier? Or is there a certain feature you want it has?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Easy answer! My old "HTPC" that I used for years, was super basic. I just accessed folders to load movies via VLC. That's it :P
Trying to do it right this time. Using XMBC right now because it was the first real interface to try and using Assasin's guide. I'll probably try others too, especially when I have a real GPU. It'll take a while to figure out what I really like. For now, XMBC works fine. The built in scrapper is a bit touchy, but not too bad. I know that there is MCM to try too for that. JRiver is an interesting option for the future. Yes it costs, but it also seems to integrate well and takes a lot of guess work out with things like MadVR. Not sure I want to try WMC, but may. Also want to play with MPC-HC.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Am I weird that I am the only one that just doesn't prefer XBMC ? Seems like I am eek.gif

Do mind if I ask why you chose it?

Is it because your more familiar with it so it's just easier? Or is there a certain feature you want it has?

You are not alone.

I use my HTPC as a DVR & WMC7 works for me. But it appears my needs are different from that of a lot other folks. I read some of the threads about XBMC, MadVR, LAV filters, etc., but am not sure how these will benefit me.

I'm still not sure how the video is handled between the CPU, integrated graphics & the GPU of a video card. The HTPC works without a video card & works with a video card, but how much processing is handed off to the video card? I'm under the impression not all of it.

And if you use some "exotic" software in order to have a high power CPU do the processing then why use a separate video card?

If I knew what did what in various scenarios I might be more inclined to experiment. I'd like to have a flow chart showing what, for example, what XBMC is doing vs what WMC7 is doing, but so far have never found such a diagram. Is there some wiki or knowledge base such as HTPC Video 101?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I made the switch to XBMC once Microsoft stopped developing WMC.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post

I made the switch to XBMC once Microsoft stopped developing WMC.

Pretty much what I did. When I realize WMC was pretty much done for I opened up myself to other options. I made the move to XBMC and haven't looked back.

For movies and TV shows it's internal scraper is far superior to Mediabrowser. I also find it much better for music and I recently added the Spotify add-on, which has been pretty good. So now I have my flac's playing through my Muisc library and when I want to just throw in a random Country playlist Spotify has that under control. It can't provide the level of cable card support WMC does but when I got rid of my cable that ceased to be a factor.

I eventually want to give JRiver a try but if you don't have a cable card or don't care about not getting copy protected channels then XBMC and (I'm assuming) JRiver give the best single program media center experience.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 826
I think media browser with MPC-HC /MADVR/SVP does biggrin.gif

Harder to set up right for sure though. Lots of pitfalls.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think media browser with MPC-HC /MADVR/SVP does biggrin.gif

Harder to set up right for sure though. Lots of pitfalls.
Mediabrowser never scraped half my files correctly unless they are in the perfect format of Movie (2013) or TV Show\Season 1\Episode 1. XBMC doesn't have any problem scraping True.Blood.S06E06.Don't.You.Feel.Me.720p.HDTV.DD5.1.H.264.mkv or Trance.2013.1080p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264.mkv, even if they are buried under 3 or 4 sub-folders. I was constantly having to rename and move files for Mediabrowser to pick them up. I can count on 1 hand in the 3 or 4 years I've been using XBMC where it didn't scrape something properly. Nothing matches XBMC in addon support either. You can still use MPC-HC as an external player in XBMC so I don't see how that factors into your decision.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been having pretty good success using TheRenamer. It doesn't work with Video_TS files, but works fine with single file formats. Occassionally, it will rename in spanish, but it is easy to fix. I have it rename the folder and file, and delete the superfluous files. After this, even difficult files in XMBC are cake.

WARNING: You will want to play with it first and learn to use it right. If you do the wrong thing, it will delete your source files.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, back on to the OT. The beta driver solves the issue with XMBC video glitch, however I ran into another bug. The beta driver causes the HDMI unplugged glitch with the intel iGPU. Prior to getting a new pre-pro, I was using digital coax out on my old PC. New PC/AVR is all HDMI. I went through everything I could try before rolling back the iGPU driver to current non-beta release. Video is fine through HDMI with beta driver, but you can't get sound through.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page