New HTPC won't sleep with IR receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-20-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just built my first HTPC. It's a Dell with an added vid card and nothing extra. The only thing loaded on it is Windows 7 and XBMC.

Since adding a Microsoft USB eHome IR receiver the computer won't spin down the drives, start the screensaver or go to sleep. I've searched but haven't seen any other mention of this, is this uncommon?

Any ideas for a fix?

I got it to engage the screensaver by downloading the Windows screensaver script for XBMC. That allows XBMC to engage the Windows screensaver. XBMC can also make it sleep, but it doesn't know when there's some other process going so I kept getting damaged files when XBMC would put the HTPC to sleep during a file transfer. So right now I'm back to leaving it on and letting the drives spin 24/7.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure if this will help you as I don't entirely understand when you want the computer to sleep and when not, but it may point you in the right direction.

On a recent pc i build/set up with windows 8, the machine would fail to sleep intermittently. Sometimes it would go into sleep mode properly after the define time interval in the power settings, other times it would not. IIRC all the usb devices were set to allow for reduced power/sleep mode.

After much research, I discovered that several services were preventing the system from sleeping at times.

Below are the services/programs I set the pc to ignore, and regardless of what their request is, to still put the system into sleep

C:\Users\user>powercfg /requestsoverride

[SERVICE]
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\SearchIndexer.exe EXECUTION

[PROCESS]
wmpnetwk.exe SYSTEM
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe SYSTEM

[DRIVER]
\FileSystem\srvnet SYSTEM
srvnet SYSTEM

To figure out what might be causing issues on your end, issue the command "powercfg /energy" from an elevated commandline. Do not touch the computer for a min. Examine the resuling energy-report.html, it should shed light on what's preventing the system from sleeping. You can also try attaching it here for review.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page