CPU for Media Server? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning to build a simple media server (movies, music, etc.) to be played by my HTPC running XBMC. Now I'm not very well informed on everything involved with a media server, since I have zero experience with them so you'll have to bare with me. Usage wise, I would like to use it as I said before and I'm very interested in the idea of transcoding media for other devices through Plex. I do understand that this a bit of a CPU-intensive task so I'm curious as to how powerful of a CPU is needed. I ask this because several months ago I was all gun-hoe on the idea and bought most of the parts for the build, including the CPU, but I got overwhelmed by the whole idea and so it's been sitting in a box in my closet. However, my interest has been sparked again (maybe somewhat related to recently having an external HD fail which I used as my makeshift server, thus consequently meant all my media was lost).

Well the CPU I purchased was the Intel Pentium G645 (http://ark.intel.com/products/69116) - is this powerful enough to handle my needs? Or should I try selling it and get an i3, that is if that's sufficient?

Additional relevant information: Plan to have a maximum of 8 HDs. Plan to use W7+Flexraid since I've never used Linux before.

Let me know if any other information would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That CPU is fine for general media server duty but I would step up to at least a quad core i5 if you are going to be transcoding (with plex, airvideo, etc). Also, you won't get any stutters/freezes when you are streaming several sources and transcoding at the same time.

+1000 on using flexraid, especially for 8 drives or multiples of 8 drives. I have well over 20 drives and have never had a drive fail in my life, but it's great to know that I am covered (probably long overdue) and its easy to use.

I would also encourage you to consider splitting your drives into separate 8 bay enclosures vs putting them in your case. Makes it much easier to upgrade you pc server box without disassembling it to remove all your drives and easier to swap out a drive in case of drive failure.
snowboarder33 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
+2

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 5 Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Your're good to go, OP.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-23-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Appreciate it guys!