Google Chromecast... what do you think? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 132 Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
The Netflix client on most bluray players up until 2010 looked almost identical to WMC. I think they all only had one row of movies, whereas the WMC version has two. That helps it blend in well with the default WMC movie library since they basically share the same interface. 2010 was also the year they started offering 1080p and 5.1 streams if I remember correctly. It wasn't until 2011 models that most player clients were updated to play the higher quality and also use the new interface.

Netflix searching in WMC is partially broken and navigating a tv series with hundreds of episodes like Law and Order or 24 is much more difficult than other clients. Thats on top of all the features its flat out missing, like autoplaying the next tv episode, easier subtitle and audio track selection, and of course super hd, 3d, 1080p, 5.1, etc

What I think is interesting about Chromecast is that it has most of the features the Nexus Q had and costs 10% as much

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Yeah, I'm not interested in an external BD player. I'd love to keep everything on one TV-input. Since that's not possible without a lot of compromises with a HTPC, this device looks like a good way to get streaming easily to a TV. I'd still have to manually switch back to the HTPC input once I'm done watching a streaming video, though.
A universal remote does wonders. That way it doesn't matter what the source is. All the user need do is press the Netflix button on the remote to watch Netflix or the TV button to watch TV, or the BD button to watch Blu-ray. My wife has no idea Netflix is on the blu-ray player and cable TV is on the PC. It just works. Best of both worlds. I gave up trying to run everything through WMC a long time ago. It's just not possible. Even if I could get it working on my main TV, most of the stuff wouldn't work on my extenders anyway, so we're right back to multiple devices. I couldn't use my PC as my disc player either since it's not anywhere near my TV, and the fact that is has no optical drive at all.

Chromecast is cool and certainly does a better job at Netflix, but I don't see it increasing WAF, since now she'd not only have to switch inputs but also use an entirely different remote and interface (a smartphone).
post #93 of 132 Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

A universal remote does wonders.

Which do you suggest? I have a Harmony (650, I think)... no one likes the thing. It's full of buttons, confuses people when they pick it up, and has "clicky" buttons instead of your normal soft mash buttons.

I'd rather not have to spend more than $50-75 for the remote too. There's just something wrong with that in my opinion.

Quote:
Chromecast is cool and certainly does a better job at Netflix, but I don't see it increasing WAF, since now she'd not only have to switch inputs but also use an entirely different remote and interface (a smartphone).

It doesn't have to be a smart phone... it can be a laptop. Don't most people manage their queues from a PC anyway?
post #94 of 132 Old 08-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
yeah, what annoys me about Netflix is that you *must* manage your queues from a PC. The apps for tablets and phones assume you're there strictly to watch streaming of what you've already queued, and don't give you any interface into managing anything--and not even searching for physical discs.
post #95 of 132 Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Puwaha, I don't know what to tell you. Your requirements are just too different from mine. Personally all I have to say to my wife is, "Sweetheart, you know that stick you use to change volume on the TV, the one with the nice clicky buttons that humans have used to control TVs for the past 50 years, the one even toddlers know how to use? If you want to watch Netflix, press the Netlix button on it"', not "well you have to use that stick for power and volume then boot up your laptop, open chrome, search for your movie on it, then cast it and control it from your laptop, and still keep that stick handy for volume control. Got enough room there?" I'll take the first option.

I don't know what you guys use for Netflix, but searching and queue management is a piece of cake on my BD player, no laptops required.

EDIT: Sorry, got a little carried away there. I've been using remotes all my life, so it's just a natural fit. The thing I like about a cheap device with buttons is you can use it without looking, or even thinking really. So I can focus on the content I'm watching rather than the controls for it. Pulling out a laptop, keyboard, mouse, smart phone, whatever, is just too much hassle when I can grab the nearest remote and press one button. I just don't see any solution that could be easier.

Anyway, as far as recommendations, your 650 should be fine. It just sounds like you need to come up with a better plan for programming it. I always go for simplicity, so if I had a harmony, I'd make the following activities that show on the remote screen: TV, Movie, Netflix, Music. TV would turn on the TV, HTPC, AVR, go to the correct inputs, map vol keys to the AVR, map nav/menu/transport keys to MCE, and start WMC. Movie would do the same except start my BD player instead (or PowerDVD if you use your PC). Netflix would do the same plus start the Netflix app. Ditto for music, starts iTunes or Spotify or whatever you use for that.

I've never paid $50 for a remote in my life. Most of my remotes cost me around $3. I use JP1 and other UEI remotes primarily. Back when I tried harmony years ago, I always bought used or refurb to keep the cost under $30. But I have to have a remote to operate my TV and other devices anyway, so HTPC control is essentially free. It's not like I have to buy anything extra besides a dongle.
post #96 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A very interesting new development in this "casting" arena...

"Casting" to a Media Center!

Check this tool out: http://1geek1tool.com/media-center-cast/

It allows you to use the same mechanisms for casting media from your laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc... not to your ChromeCast device... but to your standard Windows Media Center box.

No changing inputs, no reason to leave your WMC session. This looks brilliant. Only $5 while it's in beta stage.
post #97 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So this essentially turns WMC into a simulated Chromecast device? I.e. the Chromecast enabled app thinks it is talking to the dongle?
post #98 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

So this essentially turns WMC into a simulated Chromecast device? I.e. the Chromecast enabled app thinks it is talking to the dongle?

Yes.

Of course, there are limitations that may never be solved... like DRM'ed video from Netflix, but Netflix is already built into WMC. But at the very least this provides a very good YouTube and Google Play Music interface. Once other content providers get on-board the casting train... Pandora, Spotify, and others... then this plugin will become much more usable.
post #99 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Done.

I mean, five bucks...I've paid that much for a fancy coffee. This is a no-brainer.

Now to install it and play.
post #100 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 147
Buy a beta?
post #101 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Five bucks. You've thrown that much into the toilet, literally, just today.
post #102 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

Five bucks. You've thrown that much into the toilet, literally, just today.

Nope, I have never literally thrown money into a toilet. Perhaps you are confusing the word literally with figuratively? Or maybe you simply are one of those odd folks who literally do toss money into toilets?

Pay someone to test their unfinished product for them and help them complete it so they can make even more money? Pay to beta test? Really?
post #103 of 132 Old 08-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Read what I wrote above, then think about it just a bit.

OK, you're still confused. I guarantee, yesterday or today you've eaten and/or drank five extra dollars worth of stuff--five bucks' worth that you didn't have to buy--that literally, yes literally, went into the toilet today.

What's the rush to judge how someone spends five bucks?

Man, your head would explode if you saw my whisky cabinet...

Maybe I'll come on over to your house and start commenting on the things you own and do.
Quote:
Pay someone to test their unfinished product for them and help them complete it so they can make even more money? Pay to beta test? Really?

Yep. This is a tight community, and I'll reward effort to make it better--especially five bucks. You have a problem with that?

Had I met the developer in a bar, I would have happily bought him a beer. So what's the difference? You've never bought someone a drink????????? Good Lord.
post #104 of 132 Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

from the time you eat food until you poop it out the cornhole its more than 24 hours, so, no, you are wrong on this point. move on.

yeah, tell me he didn't buy a coffee or soft drink or Red Bull or something, something he didn't need in order to survive, and literally--LITERALLY--flush it down the toilet.

You want to get literal? Keep it coming. If you want to troll around and try to "prove people wrong," keep it coming. Go ahead, try.

Are you defending his ridiculous attitude of "what, you bought the guy a beer? For beta software? What are you, stupid?" attitude? Really?

Hey, guess what--the software works. Imagine that.
post #105 of 132 Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Wow this thread got off track in a hurry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

This is extremely common. Don't know why there would be so much fuss in this case

Several occasions (like Orb) you could get the beta fairly cheap, and get your full beta price discounted on the final product when released. The pay product may go for $10 and you get it for $5 or free for helping out during the beta phase.

Otherwise, people $5 or more for things like mediabrowser plugins, WMC guide channel logos, WMC MCE Reset Toolbox, etc. The WMC plugins/hacks aren't guaranteed to continue working with the necessary updates that are required to keep WMC guide data up to date, so people on these forums have been paying for beta software for sometime
post #106 of 132 Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm surprised this issue hasn't been discussed yet:

http://www.muktware.com/5857/google-breaks-chromecasts-ability-play-local-content

Apparently Google broke ChromeCast's ability to play local content. The article speculates that Google is intentionally disabling a 3rd party feature to play local media, akin to tactics from Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon. I don't have a ChromeCast to verify. Has anyone experienced this issue?
post #107 of 132 Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Read what I wrote above, then think about it just a bit.

OK, you're still confused.

Not confused at all. I have never literally thrown money into the toilet. I believe you mean figuratively, though you appear to be fighting tooth and nail to say I took money and placed it directly into the toilet. I have never done that.

I did literally put my excrement into the toilet, but not money. I literally gave money to someone for food, which I then literally ate. I recommend you read this, you can start on Page 6

http://www.rsm.rcschools.net/teachers/Waltersa/documents/FigurativeLanguage.pdf
post #108 of 132 Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Wow this thread got off track in a hurry
This is extremely common. Don't know why there would be so much fuss in this case

Several occasions (like Orb) you could get the beta fairly cheap, and get your full beta price discounted on the final product when released. The pay product may go for $10 and you get it for $5 or free for helping out during the beta phase.

Otherwise, people $5 or more for things like mediabrowser plugins, WMC guide channel logos, WMC MCE Reset Toolbox, etc. The WMC plugins/hacks aren't guaranteed to continue working with the necessary updates that are required to keep WMC guide data up to date, so people on these forums have been paying for beta software for sometime

Wow, I did not know the paradigm had shifted to paying someone to improve their product for them. Very odd. Even MS gives the betas away for free and time bombs them.
post #109 of 132 Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yeah I'll wait till he gets Netflix working before I pay for anything.
post #110 of 132 Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not confused at all. I have never literally thrown money into the toilet. I believe you mean figuratively/quote]

no one bothers to read anymore, eh?

Allow me to be precise:

I'm sure he's ingested into his body, via his mouth and into his stomach, five bucks worth of some sort of food or drink that he didn't need to survive--but which he wanted to eat because he wanted to.

That food/drink literally went into the toilet, and what does he have now?

He spends his five bucks, I spend mine. Whose went in the toilet?
post #111 of 132 Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not confused at all. I have never literally thrown money into the toilet. I believe you mean figuratively

no one bothers to read anymore, eh?

Allow me to be precise:

I'm sure he's ingested into his body, via his mouth and into his stomach, five bucks worth of some sort of food or drink that he didn't need to survive--but which he wanted to eat because he wanted to.

That food/drink literally went into the toilet, and what does he have now?

He spends his five bucks, I spend mine. Whose went in the toilet?

You are using the word literally correctly but still do not understand that you are not using it correctly with regards to the five dollars. Neither one of you literally threw five dollars into the toilet. One of you would have had to take five dollars and actually throw it into the toilet for one of you to have literally thrown five dollars into the toilet. If you do anything other than that, you did not literally throw it into the toilet. What you are describing is figuratively. The person who spent money on food has figuratively thrown that money into the toilet - though I still recommend everyone spend money on food (and eat it as well).

Do you cling to being wrong this firmly with regards to your programming too?

EDIT: I am done with trying to explain it, so this is my last post about it. You can continue to say that not actually putting money into a toilet means you have literally put money into a toilet if you so wish without me correcting your error.
post #112 of 132 Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I bought the MCC guy a beer, and this is the thanks I get for it--ignorance, spewed forth as if it were fact, with the ignorant emboldened by the fact of being in a crowd of ignorance.

BTW, I never said anyone threw a five dollar bill or actual cash of any kind in the toilet. Why, then, did you blather forth as if that's what I said?

Would you feel better, Sheldon, if I said "five bucks worth" into the toilet?

Yeah, I bet you would.

Go on back to your social skills class. You need remediation.
post #113 of 132 Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Liked: 12
HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY REC'D ONE OF THESE? ??
post #114 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf2tao View Post

HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY REC'D ONE OF THESE? ??
Yes. I've had mine about a month and posted my impressions a few weeks ago here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1483067/google-chromecast-what-do-you-think/60#post_23611947

I've read that these are now back in stock at Best Buy and include the 3 months free Netflix, bringing the net cost down to $11. I think it's well worth that if you don't already have a Netflix streaming device. Like most people, I already have plenty of streaming devices that do exactly the same thing as a Chromecast. I bought mine to play with and to use when travelling. I also hope that it may have some extender capability someday, hence making it the cheapest, most portable extender yet.
post #115 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've read that these are now back in stock at Best Buy and include the 3 months free Netflix

Not sure where you read this, but it's a quick check at bestbuy.com to discover that no, they're not back in stock--and Google announced awhile back that the free Netflix is gone. I don't expect it'll be back if/when units are back in stock.
post #116 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure where you read this, but it's a quick check at bestbuy.com to discover that no, they're not back in stock--and Google announced awhile back that the free Netflix is gone. I don't expect it'll be back if/when units are back in stock.
I didn't realize the deal was dead already. Looks like it only lasted 4 hours yesterday, but it did still have the free Netflix offer.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/101440/best-buy-google-chromecast-wireless-hdmi-streaming-dongle-3month-netflix-subscription
post #117 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah it was only available for a short while yesterday. I was tempted to get one while I could but, I don't use Netflix and seeing how limited it is at the moment with just the other basic stuff I figured I would wait. That, plus the review from the guy that said he never got the code for the 3 months of Netflix Best Buy has still been offering helped make my decision, for now.
post #118 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 12
I received notice mine shipped yesterday, from Google Playstore- was ordered 8/8...fyi
post #119 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There are also reports that a few Best Buy stores still have them in stock thanks to yesterday's new shipments, and that they still include the 3 months free Netflix. You can check here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&skuId=9071056&searchpage=true
post #120 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Anyone have luck streaming HD movies from Amazon.com on these?

I basically only use amazon and netflix so thats all I need.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page