post #121 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

You are using the word literally correctly but still do not understand that you are not using it correctly with regards to the five dollars. Neither one of you literally threw five dollars into the toilet. One of you would have had to take five dollars and actually throw it into the toilet for one of you to have literally thrown five dollars into the toilet. If you do anything other than that, you did not literally throw it into the toilet. What you are describing is figuratively. The person who spent money on food has figuratively thrown that money into the toilet - though I still recommend everyone spend money on food (and eat it as well).

Do you cling to being wrong this firmly with regards to your programming too?

EDIT: I am done with trying to explain it, so this is my last post about it. You can continue to say that not actually putting money into a toilet means you have literally put money into a toilet if you so wish without me correcting your error.

How can you say any of this given that I never once said, "five dollars cash" or "a five dollar bill" or "five one dollar bills" or "four one dollar bills and four quarters" or "four one dollar bills and three quarters and two dimes and a nickel" or "four dollar bills and ten dimes" or...

I said, "five dollars". YOU decided, UNILATERALLY, what that meant. Given that I never stated that he threw US currency into the toilet, I stand my ground: by spending the five dollars cash on something that he didn't need, by spending five dollars cash on something he *wanted* instead, and by spending that cash on some sort of food or drink (that he didn't need in order to survive, but instead simply *wanted* for pleasure), that five dollars quite literally went into the toilet.

I'm not saying that physical US currency went from his hands directly into the toilet. I never ONCE discussed or mentioned actual currency at all--but it's curious that you not only inferred that, but declared that to be fact despite all evidence to the contrary, and THEN went forth and acted on your mistaken inference.

Do you cling to being wrong this firmly with regards to your programming too?

Nevertheless, the result is that five dollars LITERALLY ended up out of his life and into the toilet, specifically by his own mind and will, his hand, and his bodily functions. Suppose someone said to him, "you can have five dollars cash OR you can have that coffee, which do you want?" and he took the coffee. The result would 100% be that by his own will, his own hand, and his own bodily functions he took five dollars out of his life and put it into the toilet.

Maybe your mind can't conceive that "five dollars" does NOT mean, every time and exactly, "five dollars of physical US currency".

He can throw five dollars into the toilet in many ways. One of those ways is to throw a five dollar bill into the toilet. Or five one dollar bills.

Maybe you don't understand that value--which is five dollars--is a frame of mind, not physical currency. I can only imagine how you look at the stock market and investments, or even a bank. How can you have money in the bank when you don't have physical US currency? Do you go to the bank and hand them currency, and expect that they're sticking those very physical bills into a special drawer or box just for you, waiting for you to come back and request those very same bills? Do you log and double check the serial numbers to make sure?

Do you argue with the teller when she looks at your account on her screen and says "you have three hundred and fifty three dollars" but you don't actually have that much physical US currency in your hands?

Do you?

Living and dealing with you must be a dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Can this thread go in the hall of fame?
post #123 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Can this thread go in the hall of fame?

LITERALLY or FIGURATIVELY?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #124 of 132 Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 140
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

Merriam-Webster now sadly acknowledges using 'literally' as a general intensifier. In other news, two plus two equals five.
post #125 of 132 Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Back in stock at Best Buy!!! Get 'em while they're hot, literally.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Chromecast+HDMI+Streaming+Media+Player/9071056.p

EDIT: Out of stock again. Lasted 3 hrs this time.
post #126 of 132 Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 10
Got mine yesterday, ordered through google play on 8/2/13.

Didn't play much with it, but it seems that it only works well with youtube (and I assume with netflix, haven't tried it). However, when I tried to stream twit's netcasts video was stutering and audio was out of sync. Lowering streaming quality helped, but not much.

best way to deal with trolls is to ingore them biggrin.gif
post #127 of 132 Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Received mine 8/23 from Best Buy (delivered to work, didn't pick up in store). Ordered 8/9 and received an e-mail stating I might not receive it until 9/4, but I guess they got extra stock in and cancellations. Probably people just using the netflix code and returning the device? Don't know if that works, but I also received the netflix code by e-mail. Either Netflix or Google announced all offers had been redeemed for that promotion (codes sent to those who bought in time) so don't look to receive one anymore. Probably a Best Buy product page error if it still shows that

I figuratively can't wait to try it out, literally

At this point, I literally haven't taken it out of the box or plugged it in, but the anticipation is figuratively going to make my head literally explode tongue.gif
post #128 of 132 Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just received mine and connected it to the front HDMI input on my Marantz AV7005 pre/pro. No picture. Black screen.

When connected directly to one of the HDMI inputs on my TV it works perfectly. Why would it not work with an AVR? It's just an HDMI device...
post #129 of 132 Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Just received mine and connected it to the front HDMI input on my Marantz AV7005 pre/pro. No picture. Black screen.

When connected directly to one of the HDMI inputs on my TV it works perfectly. Why would it not work with an AVR? It's just an HDMI device...

HDCP issues?
post #130 of 132 Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocketAzzWIPE View Post

HDCP issues?

Turns out it works fine in one of the rear hdmi ports on the Marantz. Maybe the front port was borked when I had my WDTV connected to it last week.
post #131 of 132 Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Turns out it works fine in one of the rear hdmi ports on the Marantz. Maybe the front port was borked when I had my WDTV connected to it last week.

I was reading an Amazon review on your receiver....some ports have HDCP issues.
post #132 of 132 Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In stock at Best Buy for the moment.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version