Google Chromecast... what do you think? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 132 Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So the tech-world is buzzing about the new Google Chromecast device. You can google all about it, or read the engadget blurb here:

So what do you guys think?

I'm definitely intrigued. Netflix is not going to get any better in WMC7, and the fact that you can't use a remote in the Windows 8 Netflix is a big fail for me.

For only $35, this could be the start of something big in the online-streaming world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I ordered one today, so we shall soon see. I already have other Netflix streamers at home that work perfectly fine, so this will be for traveling. Net cost is only $11 counting the Netflix promo. It's hard to turn down a deal like that.
post #3 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just ordered one. Mainly because it is cheap ($35) and I like checking out new stuff. Plus the Netflix promo is nice a bonus. Hopefully there isn't a expiration date on the promo code since I'm already gift card.

The device it self looks interesting. Looks like it'll be using DNLA in some form since they're talking about needing WiFi routers. At this point, it may have it's limits. But if it can play whatever is playable in Chrome, could be promising. Plus there are apps, so could make it a nice portable set top box, especially for on the go.

And if it ends up being a dud, you're only out a little over $35.
post #4 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Even my 65 year old dad sent me an email asking about it yesterday

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd like to get one to play around with...Unfortunately Amazon shows it being out of stock unless you buy from one of their other vendors that is selling it close to double.

Also the mediabrowser developers are very interested in getting their software to work with it.
post #6 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's pretty cool ^

Media browser 3 plugin for that would be a sweet feature

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I'd like to get one to play around with...Unfortunately Amazon shows it being out of stock unless you buy from one of their other vendors that is selling it close to double.

Also the mediabrowser developers are very interested in getting their software to work with it.
You can also just get one off the shelf at your local Best Buy.
post #8 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You can also just get one off the shelf at your local Best Buy.

Well...I know where I'm going during my lunch break today.
post #9 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Well...I know where I'm going during my lunch break today.
Cool. Just check the stock before you go smile.gif
FantaXP7 likes this.
post #10 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Cool. Just check the stock before you go smile.gif

Good call.

"Store Pickup: Not Available"

Thanks
post #11 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In short time these things will be selling for $19.99

Relax guys. It's always limited at the begining

-

post #12 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Can I plug this into an HDMI input on my A/V Receiver? My TV has an empty HDMI, but it does not have speakers, or nor an audio output to send to the A/V receiver. It wasnt clear to me from reading the reviews.
post #13 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Yes.
post #14 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm curious as to whether it will have the horsepower to do Netflix's "SuperHD" that I get now on my TiVo for some content (and possibly my Apple TV as well).

I have a pretty fast, mostly wired, home network and I can do things like stream youtube from my iPhone via airplay to an Apple TV and it works ok, but it's only making one wifi hop (phone to router, then wired from there on). Two wireless hops with streaming content, starts to get dicey!

But, $35 (or $11 after the Netflix subsidy which cnet says is good for existing Netflix subs too!) it sounds like a cheap fun thing to play around with.

Also, with intel widi, Samsung smart view, airplay, etc, it's good to get some competition.

I was surprised to play around with the YouTube app on my 2-3yr old Vizio the other day and find out I could stream from my iPhone YouTube directly to it.
post #15 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I thought I'd toy around with one of these also, only to find out . . .

Chromecast is not available in your country.

I am Canadian.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #16 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think people get lit up about the strangest things. This is one of them.

Remember, folks: this is the razor that's intended to sell blades and make Google shoutpots of money. At least, that's their plan. That's money they want to transfer from your pockets.

Ask yourselves: if you don't already have an AppleTV, why not? Outside of the fact that it's made by Apple, if that's your inclination. I don't have one for the same reasons that apply to this thing. I don't need yet another gadget designed to nickle and dime me to death. Apple has been down this path for several years, and continues to hang on, despite AppleTV being a large flop. Apparently, selling/renting content is a big enough business that they can afford to build it very very slowly.

The only reason they charge anything for it at all is to keep the idly curious from grabbing one and then throwing it out*, otherwise they'd just put bins of them at every grocery store in the country and invite people to take one, or two, or five and expect recurring content sales and rentals.

*related to TiNO--coined from the Tivo world, where people record something and then delete it without watching it, all because recording it costs no money or effort. "Did you record that?" "Yeah, I TiNO'd it."
post #17 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post

Remember, folks: this is the razor that's intended to sell blades and make Google shoutpots of money. At least, that's their plan. That's money they want to transfer from your pockets.

Ask yourselves: if you don't already have an AppleTV, why not? Outside of the fact that it's made by Apple, if that's your inclination. I don't have one for the same reasons that apply to this thing. I don't need yet another gadget designed to nickle and dime me to death. Apple has been down this path for several years, and continues to hang on, despite AppleTV being a large flop. Apparently, selling/renting content is a big enough business that they can afford to build it very very slowly.

The only reason they charge anything for it at all is to keep the idly curious from grabbing one and then throwing it out*, otherwise they'd just put bins of them at every grocery store in the country and invite people to take one, or two, or five and expect recurring content sales and rentals.

*related to TiNO--coined from the Tivo world, where people record something and then delete it without watching it, all because recording it costs no money or effort. "Did you record that?" "Yeah, I TiNO'd it."

You make a good point, but you could have also used similar logic 10 years ago to say that the iPod & iTunes store were solely about a slow transfer of money out of consumer pockets, and there was no real value to be had from the equation, and I think that's been disproven over time.

Will I get a Chomecast? Probably not, I don't have any Android devices (yet) and it would more or less duplicate functionality I already have, in abundance.

And I think that selling/renting is doing ok for Apple - latest news is 800k TV shows & 350k movies sold daily. I actually do own an ATV and have not yet purchased or rented something from it (in over 2 years), I use it mostly for Airplay audio, and Netflix and HBO Go to some extent too.

It runs Android and is $35 with wifi and a built in HDMI output, just on those specs it will sell to the same people that buy other Android hardware.

PS - How much money is a shoutpot? Can you convert to bitcoins? wink.gif
post #18 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Very true about the iPod/iTunes, but they caught on relatively quickly. I can't think of anything else comparable to AppleTV, where it continues to languish for years with nothing more than a small cult following yet continues to be sold (not even marketed).

I'm still confused by the logic behind "I'll dump my cable TV then purchase TV shows at $2 a pop and watch them on my AppleTV".

I am Android in my tablet and phone life (Apple in my desktop life), but with an HTPC already in place I don't feel a burning desire for this new gadget.

And as someone has already pointed out, newer TVs lack sufficient ports to accommodate everything that people are plugging in (fewer ports equals lower cost). This just exacerbates the problem.

And I like how Google, very much mimicking the form of Apple, shows this thing without its power supply. I guess you're supposed to think that it works by magic or something.
post #19 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I can't think of anything else comparable to AppleTV, where it continues to languish for years with nothing more than a small cult following yet continues to be sold (not even marketed).

Windows Media Center, Google TV.......
post #20 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

They've updated the AppleTV hardware, which is *far* more effort than what MS has put into WMC. That's just weird. In comparison, WMC seems normal--it's just a program that continues to work under Win8.
post #21 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
ATV has its place but it isn't in my set up. Mine may be harder to set up but it does so much more.

Back to the chromecast.. and the point is? To have an add-based browser connected to your TV? Is that it or did I miss something? There's a bunch of androis sticks already so what's the hoop -la-la all about?

post #22 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't get it. What part of this is the razor and what part is the blade? Streaming services is all-you-can-feed-your-eyeballs, and in the case of Netflix multiple people's eyeballs all on the same account for a whole month for one fixed-ish price.

Quote:
Ask yourselves: if you don't already have an AppleTV, why not?

Because... iTunes. That's why not. iTunes' model is no different that the crap the media companies have been feeding us for over 20 years. First people bought their favorite movies on VHS, then they rebought those same movies on DVD, then they did it all over again on BluRay... now digital downloads through iTunes. The AppleTV is the razor/blades model!

Netflix, is much more tolerable when it comes to consuming media, and at a reasonable price. If you can't find something to watch on Netflix, then I don't know what to say.

Quote:
Outside of the fact that it's made by Apple, if that's your inclination. I don't have one for the same reasons that apply to this thing.

No, all you can eat streaming services are different than the Apple model.
Quote:
I don't need yet another gadget designed to nickle and dime me to death. Apple has been down this path for several years, and continues to hang on, despite AppleTV being a large flop. Apparently, selling/renting content is a big enough business that they can afford to build it very very slowly.

If you are a collector, then yes, all-you-can-eat streaming services may not be worth your time, but I think too many people hoard content. There's probably a couple of handfuls of movies that I would ever care to watch more than once.

Quote:

I think you are missing the point of this device.
Quote:

My time is limited, I don't record something unless I plan on watching it.
post #23 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRy View Post

I'm curious as to whether it will have the horsepower to do Netflix's "SuperHD" that I get now on my TiVo for some content (and possibly my Apple TV as well).

I'm curious about this too.

Quote:
I have a pretty fast, mostly wired, home network and I can do things like stream youtube from my iPhone via airplay to an Apple TV and it works ok, but it's only making one wifi hop (phone to router, then wired from there on). Two wireless hops with streaming content, starts to get dicey!

It doesn't work that way. You don't stream from your iPhone. You send the Chromecast device the "link" to the online video and it plays directly from the internet to your TV. Your iPhone is just the remote.

Quote:
Also, with intel widi, Samsung smart view, airplay, etc, it's good to get some competition.

It's not mirroring your laptop or smartphone. This is different. You send the link to the Chromecast, and your laptop/smartphone/tablet is then free to do something else.

Quote:
I was surprised to play around with the YouTube app on my 2-3yr old Vizio the other day and find out I could stream from my iPhone YouTube directly to it.

But that is using your iPhone as the conduit, right?
post #24 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Windows Media Center, Google TV.......

I disagree about WMC... it's a platform to view your content or record TV. It's not there to sell you content.

GoogleTV well... I don't really know what the purpose of that was. I'm sure they had big plans for it, but ran into the buzzsaw of the media companies. The Chromecast bypasses the whole media company monopoly anyway. If it's on the 'net you can stream it to your TV. It's kind of brilliant.
post #25 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

ATV has its place but it isn't in my set up. Mine may be harder to set up but it does so much more.

Back to the chromecast.. and the point is? To have an add-based browser connected to your TV? Is that it or did I miss something? There's a bunch of androis sticks already so what's the hoop -la-la all about?

It's an easy way to get streaming services to your TV. I know plenty of TVs are sold with "internet services" these days, but some are a pain. I can't convince my wife to exit WMC to use Netflix on the SmartTV. She'd just rather use the superior WMC-Netflix interface, even with all of it's warts. But a simple device that sends video from a laptop or smartphone, now that might get her to switch. There is a ton of great content on streaming services, paid and free... and it's just going to get better.

I think this is a huge trojan horse device for streaming services.
post #26 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I disagree about WMC... it's a platform to view your content or record TV. It's not there to sell you content.
I think you've got the wrong quote. He was responding to this:
Quote:

I can't think of anything else comparable to AppleTV, where it continues to languish for years with nothing more than a small cult following yet continues to be sold (not even marketed).
... which is spot on.

As for Google TV, it's puzzling that Microsoft would take that failed concept and make it the cornerstone of the new Xbox, its media hub supposedly. While Google moves forward, Microsoft moves backward to pre-WMC technology with overlays and IR blasters.

While the Chromecast isn't really aimed at any of us who already have several streaming devices, I see huge potential for what could turn out to be the cheapest, most popular streaming device yet.
post #27 of 132 Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:

. . .
It doesn't work that way. You don't stream from your iPhone. You send the Chromecast device the "link" to the online video and it plays directly from the internet to your TV. Your iPhone is just the remote.

D'oh! Makes sense. . .thank you for correcting my factual oversight. I was trying to convey the difficulty wifi can with with streaming (and misspoke) period, though it's certainly not impossible - I do it every day (both stream, and misspeak. . .wink.gif), but it's also one of the main reasons every TV in my home is wired Cat5e with its own switch to breakout to any other a/v devices at that point. I do hope they are cramming some good wifi antennas in that little thing. . .pretty sure I've spent more than that on crappy USB wifi dongles! smile.gif

Quote:

It's not mirroring your laptop or smartphone. This is different. You send the link to the Chromecast, and your laptop/smartphone/tablet is then free to do something else.

Again thank you for clarifying, I haven't read (or retained?) as many of the details as you have. WiDi and Samsung's SmartView are both things I've probably been able to see and friends houses, etc., if I wanted to because they happened to be present, but the need has yet to arise. I'm sure the use cases are out there, and use they do very different things I see now. But, being able to run Jelly Bean right out of the box I bet the Chromecast will be able to do a bunch of cool stuff people are just starting to think of now. . .

Quote:

But that is using your iPhone as the conduit, right?

Actually, using the new information I gleaned from you earlier, I'd have to say that no - it appears to just be using the iOS as sort of a video selector on YouTube, then boom, the apps takes it from there, but it's tons easier, even easier than just having your same account signed in.

Pairing step:
(You just go to your phone and enter a one-time code to pair streaming, and one time code to pair account)

"Streaming" view on phone, note new new phone to TV streaming icon in blue towards upper right, totally separate than AirPlay functions.

And image on phone does not change during "streaming" process to TV. . .I also have it paired to multiple Vizios in my house. . .sort of cool and feels way more useable than the YouTube functionality on my Tivo has ever been!

Also read earlier today on CNET that you can stream many video file types from PC to Chomecast, right out of the box without any special software on either end, just Chrome browser w/ an extension. No .MKV files, but not bad for day 1.
post #28 of 132 Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

The entire point of this device is to sell/rent you content on an ongoing basis.

It is *not* restricted to Netflix. Netflix is the carrot, maybe, but Google doesn't do this out of the kindness of their hearts. This thing, like AppleTV, is designed to create a revenue stream for Google. Period.

And why people get all lit up about this like it's the next coming of Christ, I don't know. It's just something that a large corporation is trying to sell you--and yes, it's just like the razor that is useless without the ongoing purchase of blades.
post #29 of 132 Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

most of those are blocked by or dont work with sites like hulu. it left google tv doa when it shipped. this is theoretically streaming it from your laptop.

there are plenty of other network sites that have episodes of their tv shows online that they dont want you accessing on your actual television (even though a pc can be easily plugged into one). this is a way around that.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #30 of 132 Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

And why people get all lit up about this like it's the next coming of Christ, I don't know. It's just something that a large corporation is trying to sell you--and yes, it's just like the razor that is useless without the ongoing purchase of blades.

I don't agree at all that it's useless without ongoing purchases, just because of the ability to stream any Chrome tab to your TV. As Puwaha said, this feature alone changes the game for those that don't want to fool with hooking a PC/laptop/tablet up to their TV. It circumvents all of the useless restrictions that content owners want to impose on non-PC devices.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page