Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Currently running XBMC 12 with the Confluence skin. As you all know the initial XBMC default screen lists categories such as "Weather, Videos, Movies, Music", etc. I'm interested in using XBMC only for my rips, not for weather, music, pvr, etc. I have organized my collection into folders/categories such as "Bluray", "DVDs", "Concerts", "Home movies", etc. The rips are in these folders on the server

What I would like is for xbmc to show me a list of the categories. I could click on the appropriate category and then it would show me the list of rips for that category. Also, I would like xbmc initially open to the category list.

I'm not sure if the solution is a skin or a setting but I believe it is a setting. I've searched but I cannot find the tutorial.

Anyone help me out?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I think System/Appearance/Skin/StartupWindow: Videos would do what you want

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure how or where to create the categories I'm looking for.

Bob
post #4 of 14 Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have separate folders, you can mount them each as video sources and they should show in that list

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 14 Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
You can setup video playlists for each folder. Then with most of the good skins you can setup video playlists to be on your homescreen.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help. It did help me with additional searching but after finding some directions about how to accomplish what I want to I realized it was far beyond my ability to comprehend. I tried and failed. I'll look at other front end options.

Bob
post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Or try another skin - for example, Aeon MQ4, which has a lot more configuration options than Confluence.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 14 Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

... Confluence sucks. You haven't tried xbmc if you only tried confluence.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I suggest you use the Aeon NOX skin. You can go to the skin settings and disable the weather, music and whatever else you want. You can add up to six custom widgets to show up in the main menu.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The problem with all the skins I've looked at is as follows:

For example: I want to create a main menu button called Blu-Rays. When I click that button, I want it to show me the list of movies in a folder on the server called Blu-Rays. Not other movie folders, just that folder. In other words, I want to specify a specific path for a menu button. Then I would do the same thing with a menu button called "Cartoons", etc.

I've been advised to look at submenus, playlists, favorites and nodes. Nodes seem to be out because that involves editing xml files. Submenus, favorites and playlists seem to take me to a list of all submenus, all playlists or all favorites at which point I choose the appropriate submenu/playlist/favorites. An extra step.

If anyone who knows of a skin that would allow me to do what I want without editing xml files, let me know.

Bob
post #11 of 14 Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have successfully done this with Aeon MQ4, Aeon Nox, Ace and Xperience1080.

My setup is that I have 3 main menu items: kids, DVD, and holidays. All 3 of these are organized into separate folders on my server.

I will try to detail how I set this up below.

First add all your media to xbmc.

Create smart playlists setup as Path contains (folder location).

Go into the skins settings and apply each playlist as a main menu item.(This will be different in every skin and not all support this feature.)

TADA.

You might want to get rid of all the other movie folders.

I'm currently using Xperience1080 and it has great WAF.

Just let us know if you're still having trouble.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've also successfully created unique menu items based on media in specific folders on my server. I use Aeon Nox primarily, but the skins listed by Macks have that ability also. Other ones are Metropolis and the 'Confluence Customizable Mod'. Some skins require you to set your playlist or folder as a Favorite, then apply that to a custom main menu item.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm looking for assistance with cleaning up and filling in Xperience1080 skin. Similar to the OP, I only really want movies and music. I have movies in 3 categories in separate folders on my NAS via SMB.

Can I get more details about how Xperience1080 was configured for this clean simple interface? Is there a way to completely get rid of TV references?
post #14 of 14 Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I was able to resolve all my issues. There were Intel HD4000 Graphics and Intel Wireless-AC 7260 driver issues that were the root of my problems. The display and libraries were simply too messed up to notice the changes. Display so corrupt I could not see the changes being made. Wireless was so bad the libraries would not complete scanning.

Other quick items to clarify the previous posts on Xperience1080. The smart playlist require a path and the default match "is" does not work on the root folder. You will want to select something like "begins with". The TV shows can be complete removed using the smart playlist or video add-on under home screen widget customization for widget home 2.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page