Looking for feedback on a new, free, smartphone remote for your computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,
We're a little company that has been working on what we think is a pretty cool idea and we're looking for some feedback from your community.

We've written a bit of software which once installed on your computer, allows you to control applications on your PC / Mac with your phone or tablet. As you interact with the computer the interface on your phone changes automatically to provide you controls for the software you are using or the website you are viewing.

We currently have remotes for XBMC, Windows Media Center, Media Portal, Plex, Photoshop, iTunes, VLC and a boat load of websites including Netflix, Vimeo, YouTube, Facebook and TED.
We call it Apptui and you can download it here:

http://beta.apptui.com

We would really appreciate people trying it out and giving us some feedback. The software isn't perfect but we're excited to hear what you guys think.

How it works:
Download and install Apptui
Launch Apptui (find and click on the A that has been added to your task bar / menu bar and select Pair a Device)
Connect your phone or tablet to your computer by browsing to apptui.com, in your phone's browser, and entering in the screen code which appears in the Apptui window that appeared on your computer.
Launch your favourite media centre software and your phone will turn into a remote for that piece of software. As you switch between applications the remote changes right along with you.

Thanks,
The Apptui Team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Is it or will it be possible to create custom remotes?

post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

It is not possible right now but we have literally had discussions around how we intend to implement this feature today.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

In the mean time if people have requests for controllers they'd like for an application or website let us know. We'd be happy to make as many of them as we can.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 AM

Liked: 17
WatchESPN, MLB.tv, Hulu, Crackle, Crunchyroll, to name a few. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM

Liked: 16
I'll give it a try on my old iPod touch. Is the plan eventually to publish to the iOS App Store or will it always be available as a webapp? I'd like to use my iPod touch 2G exclusively as a remote, but it's stuck on iOS 4.2.1 so nothing from the App Store will run any longer.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

I'll give it a try on my old iPod touch. Is the plan eventually to publish to the iOS App Store or will it always be available as a webapp? I'd like to use my iPod touch 2G exclusively as a remote, but it's stuck on iOS 4.2.1 so nothing from the App Store will run any longer.

Good idea, I have an old android phone that I can use as a dedicated device remote for HTPC. Should be able to navigate a browser on my local network with it. Will give this a shot this week.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 17
I did some testing a few days ago:

I enabled the chrome extensions

Netflix. Search works fine. Although the controls didn't work. Pause, FF, Rewind

Mediaportal: No playback controls, I Wouldn't mind having some buttons along with the playback controls.
LiveTV, Recorded TV, TV Guide, Last Channel, Menu, Record and most importantly Up, Down, Left, Right, ENTER.

When typing in stuff it would be nice to see the words appear in the remote. Just like in the Netflix app instead of having to look up then down on the screen to see if you typed it in correctly.

Mouse is waaaaayyyyy to sensitive. Maybe have some option to adjust the sensitivity?

I ended disabling the chrome extension. Whenever I exited from Chrome it didn't do it cleanly. In other words, even though it was closed I could still se 3-4 instances of chrome.exe in Task Manager.

Windows 7 32bit
Chrome up to date
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page