Time For A New HTPC - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 94 Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another issue you have to consider that Im currently experiencing is that NOT all motherboards are compatible with CETON InfiniTV and Windows. You have to make sure your motherboard works with Media Center due to how it activates which is tied to the motherboard.

If you build a HTPC, make sure the motherboard works with both Windows and digital media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Upgrade from Intel Graphics to Asus GTX 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavel View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by renethx 

Then you should go with Wn 8. This is perhaps the biggest factor of snappiness, second to SSD. You don't have to wait for 8.1, it's just a free service pack to 8. StartIsBack ($3) of Start8 ($5) is almost a must, however. Overall it (8 Pro $140, MC Pack $10, StartIsBack $3 = $153) is $53 pricier than Windows 7 (Home Premium 64-bit OEM, $100). So you may stay with Win 7 if $53 difference matters.

Intel iGPU supports only Limited Range RGB over HDMI. But this does not matter in most cases including displaying pictures (somebody mentioned a problem in playing PC games with comic graphic, this post, however). Just make sure your plasma is set to Limited Range RGB.

Basically GTS 450 adds nothing to Intel iGPU in PQ, it just consumes lots of powers.

Ordered all of the components today:

Core i5-4670(K)
ASUS Z87M-PLUS
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Wn 8 Pro
Ceton WMC

I thought that the Asus Z87M-PLUS was closer to what I was looking for than the ASRock Z87M Extreme4. The Asus might be little more energy efficient with it's "away" feature and I wasn't going to need all the PCIeX16 slots. Overall, I think I'll wind up with a system that is energy efficient and that has enough computing power to be able to handle anything you can throw at it for the next 5 or 6 years. I really hope it's super stable so I can leave it on to record for at least a week at a time without a reboot and that it sleeps like a baby. I'm glad to lose the energy hog video card too. I've read lot of sleep problems can be traced to the video card.

I really appreciate all your help and it's good to know that the AVS forums are alive and well.

I finally got tired of the jerky video especially during GOT that the original build had with the onboard graphics. I decided that it was worth the gamble and go with a Nvidia 960 seeing how this card looks to be future proof as to 4K. Wish I had done it sooner. What a difference. The advice that I got back in 2013 that the inboard Intel graphics was all I needed now doesn't seem to be correct. i spent a lot of time messing with the Intel graphic settings to no avail.
post #93 of 94 Old 04-29-2015, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavel View Post
I finally got tired of the jerky video especially during GOT that the original build had with the onboard graphics. I decided that it was worth the gamble and go with a Nvidia 960 seeing how this card looks to be future proof as to 4K. Wish I had done it sooner. What a difference. The advice that I got back in 2013 that the inboard Intel graphics was all I needed now doesn't seem to be correct. i spent a lot of time messing with the Intel graphic settings to no avail.
Glad you are happy with your current setup, but you are incorrect

I watch GoT weekly with no jerky video and only use intel onboard graphics (linux though, not windows). We watch everything with intel onboard graphics, even the few h265 blu-ray conversions I have (not extremely high bitrate 265, just some 10-12 GB videos). Your playback settings were amiss before

We are now watching quite a few things in Kodi with the Nexus Player which has a Quad-Core Atom SoC CPU w/ PowerVR GPU (sucks). It can do all of our h264 with no issue whatsoever, and it can do all of my mpeg2 videos with software (non accelerated) decoding but interlace has to be turned off. It cannot do h265 or vc1. Intel graphics is much better for video. My next HTPC will likely be the Tegra X1, which I'm hoping will do MVC, VC1, and interlaced MPEG2 in hardware . . . we'll know soon hopefully
steelman1991 likes this.
post #94 of 94 Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Glad you are happy with your current setup, but you are incorrect

I watch GoT weekly with no jerky video and only use intel onboard graphics (linux though, not windows). We watch everything with intel onboard graphics, even the few h265 blu-ray conversions I have (not extremely high bitrate 265, just some 10-12 GB videos). Your playback settings were amiss before

We are now watching quite a few things in Kodi with the Nexus Player which has a Quad-Core Atom SoC CPU w/ PowerVR GPU (sucks). It can do all of our h264 with no issue whatsoever, and it can do all of my mpeg2 videos with software (non accelerated) decoding but interlace has to be turned off. It cannot do h265 or vc1. Intel graphics is much better for video. My next HTPC will likely be the Tegra X1, which I'm hoping will do MVC, VC1, and interlaced MPEG2 in hardware . . . we'll know soon hopefully
You're right Intel wouldn't make a VGA that couldn't do 1080P video. Wish I knew what playback settings I had wrong. The onboard Intel graphics control panel wasn't that complicated and I tried every combination. 0-255, 16-235, application control etc. I thought the problem was somewhere in the Ceton/WMC recording. I'm happy now and I'm ready for a new 4K display whenever the time is right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page