Cable to extend USB receiver dongle - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved to a bigger place. I specifically chose it to put the PC itself in my bedroom, and the Plasma and receiver in the adjacent living room. I already drilled a hole so the necessary cables can cross the boundary. So far I have the HDMI passing from the computer to the AV, and the cable/Ethernet setup in both rooms. I also have the Microsoft RF receiver for my Harmony Remote correctly setup.

My only remaining problem is the USB dongle for the air-mouse and wireless keyboard. Since I drilled that hole I only need an extender of a few feet; however, I obviously cannot get a signal with the dongle sitting in another room directly attached to the PC.

I thought buying one would be simple; however, my research went into descriptions of "connector A", "passive B", etc. I think I am fine since Connector "A" is the normal USB connection on the computer (not the peripheral) which is all I need.

To further complicate matters, if I want to future-proof this or add something like the ability to connect a flash-drive in the living room, would I need a specific type of USB hub. (I have had bad luck with cheap passive ones in the past..specifically the kind that looks like a stick-figure with each arm a USB extension.)

Does anyone have any advice? Should I just buy something cheap? Or would an active hub be worth the investment?

Thanks a ton in advance for your help! I consider myself tech-savvy, but in the world of cables, so much of it is a rip-off game, it is difficult to find information. (And right now this is the only thing keeping me from finally having my dream system with the computer in the one room and the AV system in the other room is this dumb extender cable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Would something like a USB extender over CAT5/6 work for you? (you can use up to 150' of extension)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030313&p_id=6042&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM

Liked: 15
post #4 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses!

Assassin- those are cool, I did not even know they exist! However since I am only going a few feet (because of the hole I drilled,) sycochkn's response is what I was honing in on. I suppose I am making more out of this than I should, but can I put a hub at the end of one of those, or will it be better to run extenders for each dongle/peripheral I am running in the other room. (I probably need about 5')

Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by myurkus View Post

Thanks for the responses!

Assassin- those are cool, I did not even know they exist! However since I am only going a few feet (because of the hole I drilled,) sycochkn's response is what I was honing in on. I suppose I am making more out of this than I should, but can I put a hub at the end of one of those, or will it be better to run extenders for each dongle/peripheral I am running in the other room. (I probably need about 5')

Thanks again!

No problem. I wasn't sure how long of a run you had. Usb has a theoretical limit of 15 feet. Any longer and you might need to use what I was linking.

Here are extension cables from monoprice as well

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Use PC in the bedroom as PC and possibly TV with the monitor there, and add a media center extender to the network in the living room. The 2 will operate independantly from each other, if there are enough resources. Extender will have its own remote.

Edit: If you already have an XBOX 360, it will function as an extender. Just need to get a remote for it.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page