Controlling my HTPC by Remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
is it possible for my HTPC to be accessed by a Kindle Fire HD via iRule?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is a very generic question, but in general, yes.

The control from iRule -> device is agnostic of whether you use iRule on the kindle, andriod, ios, etc. In my case my HTPC is running plex, and I use HTTP control rather than IR. If you want to use IR you will need some type of IP to IR converter (itach or the like).
post #3 of 12 Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
With most htpc software you can control it from your fire without the need to get an irule.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I've got the Ceton app running on my Android tablet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok good. I plan on using WMC. How does the tablet recognize the HTPC so I know what to look for?

post #6 of 12 Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
It just Wi-Fis its way into any PC running WMC. If you have more than one HTPC you can access any of them with it. http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #7 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Companion is a good start, but for complete control (keyboard and mouse), you need another app, of which there are many to chose from.

We still have no idea what you're looking for. What do you expect iRule or Companion to do, exactly?

post #8 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry. Need it to access my HTPC. WMC, folders stored on the HTPC, Mouse and Keyboard control would be nice as well.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Sorry. Need it to access my HTPC. WMC, folders stored on the HTPC, Mouse and Keyboard control would be nice as well.
I still don't know exactly what you mean by "access". Can you give specific examples of what you expect to see on your control device and what functions you would like to perform? Are you currently using iRule for other control or could you use something else? Can you see the computer screen on your TV while you are controlling it, or do you need the screen or some information from it to be displayed on your controlling device? Can you specify what's required and what would just be nice to have? The more you ask for, the more complex and expensive the solution will be.

When you say you want to access folders on your HTPC, do you simply want to be able to run file explorer, see it on your tv and pick files with a keyboard/mouse? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the nicer, remote friendly interface in WMC or XBMC or Media Browser or whatever, so you can see thumbnails and have different sorting/grouping options? Personally, I think using file explorer seems like an inefficient way to navigate an HTPC. If all you need to do is play files, do you even need an HTPC for that?

A remote is generally going to give you keyboard type control, where you press "Play" for example, and the active app will perform its play function. This is all most people need for HTPC control and can be done with a simple IR or RF remote. Some apps, like Companion, will also display your guide/recordings and control each of your extenders. Other apps, like Hippo Remote or MobileMouse also add custom controls for each program as well as full mouse control. If you need to see your whole computer screen on your control device as well as full control, then you'll need a remote desktop app, a magnifying glass and lots of advil. I find the best solution is a simple IR remote plus a real wireless keyboard/mouse like a logitech k400 when a lot of typing is required. That way anyone in the house can pick up any remote and control the HTPC without any special knowledge and without having to use a smart phone or tablet. You can always augment with other phone/tablet apps of course. I posted instructions on setting up iRule for HTPC in one of your other threads.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I tried various remotes... the best thing I found is a wireless Bluetooth keyboard!!

I have tried several apps, tablets, remotes, harmony blah blah blah.... I end up using the wireless keyboard 90% of the time.

I only use an app to control music when the plasma is not on. the keyboard is nice is has a trackball, its easy to use, rest on lap well...etc.

just a thought.

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #11 of 12 Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is it possible to use my HTPC to access and browse the internet from my tablet via iRule. I apologize if this was already answered.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-08-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

iRule isn't really designed to do that. It has no mouse control, which is essential for web surfing. All you need is a keyboard/mouse app like MobileMouse. Think of iRule more as a universal remote replacement.
mijotter likes this.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page