post #61 of 69 Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFWall View Post

Could I get a little guidance on ripping DVD's?

In support of my soon to be built HTPC I have been ripping all of my DVD's to .mkv files and storing them on my laptop until I can transfer them to my HTPC. Last year I ripped about 100 DVD's using DVDFab to .vob files. To save time and not have to re-rip all those movies from the original DVD's to .mkv's I have two choices here. I can just transfer all of those movies "as is" (.vob) onto the HTPC when its built or I can re-rip them or rather convert them to .mkv files so my file type is consistent with the rest of the movies I am presently ripping.

Is there any clear choice that would recommended?

I like MKV myself. You can rip from HDD to HDD in super speed. I have a pretty fast scratch disc on my desktop and when I rip ISO or pre ripped folder into MKV they rip at 10x the speed my optical reads at. It won't take you as along the second time.

You can rip a few here and there, and delete once done. Eventually you will get them all done. You can usually do multiple at once. I've had as many as 10 instances of MAKMKV running simultaneously eek.gif With my scratch disc I can rip a 30GB ISO of a bluray in under 3 minutes- that takes 5 times longer from an optical drive easily.

Since you have DVD and I am guessing 4.7GB you can cruise through those. I bet I could do all 100 in a single instance tongue.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Can you read VOB and convert to MKV with MakeMKV?

Oops.. Yes you can do that if it is in the correct DVD folder structure. What was I thinking?

post #63 of 69 Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Your vob files will definitely work if you just want to move them over. MKV is the most popular accepted format right now though which will give you a lot of flexibility.

The only other thing I would suggest thinking about is wtv. This is Microsoft's implementation of an MPEG transport stream container (which is kind of what VOB is as well).

When you record inside WMC it produces wtv files of the recordings. It can hold MPEG2 - the DVD standard video codec and AC3 - the mandatory DVD audio codec. It will not hold DTS audio, which is not as common on DVDs (though it is considered higher quality).

The pro is that you can fast forward and rewind your movies if that's something you care about. No other format can do that in WMC. You can do 30 second skips on any file but not fast forwarding.

The con is that you're a bit more locked into WMC/Microsoft, although there are other streaming boxes and devices that can play wtv (it is basically just like a .mpg or .ts file). My android phone can play 1080i wtv files I recorded in WMC.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #64 of 69 Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As of this weekend I now have an operational home theater.

Friday evening I was treated to a demo of 8 different projectors in an environment almost exactly the same as my HT room. They included the 8350, 5020ub, a Mitsu HD8000, several other higher end PJ's and the JVC DLA-35x. After viewing all of them it was an easy decision...the JVC DLA-35x was clearly a superior machine in terms of overall picture quality. The 2D picture as absolutely striking but when they did the 3d demo (I told them I wasn't interested in 3d) I just about crapped. It was an immediate "that's the one for me". So that's what I purchased. I kind of blew my budget but it was well worth it. I also purchased an Elunevision 108" Reference Studio 4K fixed screen, a Marantz NR1403 AVR and a Sony BPD-S5100 for 3d BD's.

Its not all completely wired up yet but at least I was able to watch my first 2d movie Sunday night...Avatar and my wife couldn't believe this was the same movie we saw in the theater or on our 55" Plasma. The picture was set to cinema and right out of the box without any tweaking, the colours were excellent, the detail excellent and the black levels were excellent although I did set the black level in the menu. This was with the lamp set to "low". The PJ is super quite, the menu very intuitive and the overall setup was very simple.

I am so please its hard to express. I'm looking forward to getting the whole system (AVR and 3D BRP) up and running. Probably by tonight. I even went out and bought Life of Pii as my first 3D movie.biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the help.
post #65 of 69 Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice F-ing choice!

JVC does throw one helluva image biggrin.gif Probably the best in it's price range and tier. It's not as bright as some in the "bright modes" but it's brighter and better looking in the proper mode. That's really all that matters IMO.

It usually takes an experience like the one you described to have a full realization on the differences.

Congrats on your new projector. You should enjoy it. How about the rest of the system ?? final plans ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #66 of 69 Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well the HTPC is on hold as the budget is shot... at least for a while. I will use the laptop with an external 2TB drive for the interim. I have about one third of my DVD's now ripped and I just need to get my interface resolved. I think maybe XBMC for the short term.

I have pretty much decided not to put the Blu-rays on HDD as their size is to much of an issue at this point. Maybe later as 20-30 TB is more than I can afford right now and I would rather spend the money on more movies than storing what I now have. I really wish my DVD collection were all blu-rays. The difference in quality on the big screen is quite startling, almost disappointing. I guess the solution then is to use madvr as an image renderer when playing them through MPC-HC. I had tried to select madvr in MPC-HC and although it was installed it listed it as "unavailable" . Haven't figured out why yet as I've been to involved in getting everything else running.

My old Yamaha receiver will get replaced with my new Marantz NR1403 tonight and that should put some spark into my audio system. I love Marantz. I still have my Marantz 2230 receiver that I bought when I was 19 years old. That makes it 40 years old this year and it still runs great.

After that there's not much else to do other than install some sound baffles and I may install some light baffles on the ceiling as its white and the reflection is a minor annoyance. Rather than paint I'll place some 6" x 10' long black fabric curtains hanging from the ceiling parallel to the screen set back at 2' on centre to prevent reflection. That will solve that problem. Otherwise I need to finish the computer part of the HT which I will do with the laptop and then transfer it to the larger PC once I can afford to build it.
post #67 of 69 Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM

The unavailable is because you installed the 64bit version of MPC-HC and MadVR is only 32bit. You need to use the 32 bit version of it. Been there myself recently.
post #68 of 69 Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMPSU View Post

The unavailable is because you installed the 64bit version of MPC-HC and MadVR is only 32bit. You need to use the 32 bit version of it. Been there myself recently.

Nice catch.

OP,

I would follow the instructions in the link I gave you.

-

post #69 of 69 Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I dumped the previous version of MPC and madvr, got the 32 bit version of both and the LAV filters and the VSfilter.dll, loaded it up, reconfigured MPC and now Madvr is working just great. It makes a substantial difference in the quality of the picture. I did a side by side comparison of a couple of DVD movies using MPC and Media Player and the detail that you can see is significantly more than what I could see in WMP. Nice add-on I must say.

I have decided to add another display to my HT. I'm going to add a 42" Plasma as a second display device to use for watching TV. The cost of PJ lamps is significant and with the amount of time I have been using the HT I'm going to burn through lamps quickly. To avoid that I would rather spend $400-500 on a second display just for watching TV. Its a waste to use a 110" screen for 480p of even 720p. I do have a few 1080p channels available but not the ones I use the most. I'm planning on using an articulated arm to support the TV from the ceiling. It will allow me to swing it into position and then out of the way quickly and easily for when the PJ is in use.

Question: As I have only one HDMI out on my Marantz AVR I need to add a switch box that will allow me to direct the display to either the PJ or the TV and be able to handle 3D for the PJ but not the TV. I will not use them at the same time...what's the point? So I need a HDMI switch box as apposed to a HDMI router (or whatever the term is). Is there such a switch box and if so would you be able to recommend a decent product? I found numerous boxes allowing several displays to be used at the same time but that's not what I want. I would either switch to the TV OR the PJ but not both at the same time.

I did some more reading throughout this forum on my AVR and BD player and what a big help. This place is a wealth of information and I sure am glad I found you people.biggrin.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page