Wanted: Non-commercial player software for Blu-Ray ISO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bakcground: For a fairly long time, I've been using MyMovies (paid version) and AnyDVDHD to rip DVDs and Blu-Rays to my Windows Home Server. I've been using MyMovies (for windows media center) and PowerDVD 12 since V1905 and recently, I've found myself faced with the Cinavia block with recent movies I've purchased.

My HTPC is currently connected, via HDMI to a Yamaha 7.1CH receiver which is in turn connected to a Mitsubishi HC4000 projector. I rip movies by simply placing them in my WHS Blu-Ray drive, and my current steps for playing the blu-ray involve:

Within Windows Media Center, Open MyMovies->Select Movie->Select Play->Confirm refresh rate adjustment->Cancel previews->In Blu-Ray menu-> select 'play movie'.

I'm looking for non-commercial player software (or combination of products) that can replace PowerDVD and meet the following criteria:
1. Playback of mounted ISO discs (that have been decrypted)
2. Full 1080P playback (with GPU acceleration and refresh rate switching)
3. Bitstream Audio to the Yamaha receiver
4. A simple playback initiation (no more complex than what I'm already doing)
5. Subtitle support for foreign films/anime

3D playback isn't important to me at this time, nor do I care to retain menu functionality. A very small portion of my Blu-Rays are foreign so, I'd be willing to process those discs (i.e. for sub-titles) separately.

If #1 is not possible, What is the simplest (and least time consuming) method for me to convert my existing ISO library to the necessary file format/container?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM

Liked: 15
XBMC?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 368
There is no non-commercial player that supports Blu-ray menus. LAV Filters with any DirectShow player (e.g. MPC-HC, Zoom Player) can play the main title of the mounted BD ISO with a good probability (sometimes it chooses a wrong title, however), as well as any other title if you select it manually (of course you will have no idea which playlist contain what title without BD menus).

In general keeping the main title in MKV (by using, for example, MakeMKV) is easier. (But at the time of conversion, you still have to identify the correct title.)
uv_halo likes this.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Will it work with iso or only with containers such as mkv?

post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 AM

Liked: 19
If you don't care about the menus/ features, I would mount your existing ISO's and rip them to MKV with MakeMKV, although it will be a pain and take some time, pretty much any player will be ableto play them.

If you want to stick with those ISO's I would recommend JRiver, as it has it best logic when it comes to picking the main movie (Much superior to MPC/LAV & XBMC) and has the ability to read from AnyDVD's "disc.inf" file for those annoying fake playlist titles.

Another option you have is to just to stick with what you are doing now and leave AnyDVD running in the background on your HTPC, AnyDVD will then prevent PowerDVD 12 from detecting Cinavia (This is a recently added feature to AnyDVD)
uv_halo likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-03-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 368
MakeMKV supports ISO without mounting it first.

-

-
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 05:49 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Thanks for the info, I've never actually used it with an already ripped/decrypted disc. That's a useful feature smile.gif
post #8 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

I didn't know this. I mounted iso's I had previously before using MakeMKV. Now I rip direct from disc so there's no iso involved at all but this is good to know. Thanks.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I didn't know this. I mounted iso's I had previously before using MakeMKV. Now I rip direct from disc so there's no iso involved at all but this is good to know. Thanks.
Neither did I. I always mount the isos using Virtual CloneDrive. I would assume that not mounting the isos would require you to point MakeMKV to the iso file location in order to rip it. Mounting the iso allows MakeMKV to detect the iso automatically, which is probably slightly faster than having to navigate through Windows Explorer to find it. Still, I plan on giving it a shot the next time I need to convert a BD iso to mkv.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page