Strange horizontal line on TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my PC connected to a Denon receiver, then to a 60" Sharp LCD, via HDMI. I right click on my desktop, click screen resolution, multiple displays, and then "Duplicate these displays". When I play a movie, I am getting a strange horizontal line in the middle of my Sharp, and the picture is choppy around the line, when there is any movement in the movie. If I choose "Extend these displays" in the multiple displays option, the line is not on my Sharp. I really prefer having the "Duplicate these displays" option. Does anyone know what that line would be caused from? Is the GPU or CPU the problem, because I'm trying to run 2 screens at once? I used this setup for watching movies, and here are my pc specs:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz 43 °C
Clarkdale 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 776MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
BIOSTAR Group TH55B HD (CPU 1) 44 °C
Graphics
ASUS VE276 (1920x1080@60Hz)
DENON-AVAMP (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Biostar Microtech Int'l)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
What you describe is tearing but post a screen shot of what it looks like to confirm.

Which video renderer are you using? I had tearing long ago with EVR (CP) but not with VMR9.

You indicate no GPU and that CPU can use madVR but only on Level 1 ("out of the box" settins) or maybe Level 2 at most.

I added a modest GT 430 GPU and have it set to Level 3 now and it looks perfect!

post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

What you describe is tearing but post a screen shot of what it looks like to confirm.

Which video renderer are you using? I had tearing long ago with EVR (CP) but not with VMR9.

You indicate no GPU and that CPU can use madVR but only on Level 1 ("out of the box" settins) or maybe Level 2 at most.

I added a modest GT 430 GPU and have it set to Level 3 now and it looks perfect!

Hey Sammy. I'm using madVR as my renderer. I don't see any level settings in the options though. I have it set up just the way the tutorial says in my OP. As far as a GPU, I have integrated graphics:

Graphics Specifications
Processor Graphics Intel® HD Graphics
Graphics Base Frequency 733 MHz
Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI) Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology Yes
# of Displays Supported ‡ 2

Here's a pic of the problem. Today, the line is lower than yesterday. Look at his white shirt, down by the V:

post #4 of 10 Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

With the intel Clarkdale you are going to have to use the "Stock" madVR settings.

The "Levels" that I mentioned are around here someplace in a post by renethx. I'll have to dig them up but without a GPU it won't really matter much for you.

What you are showing is definitely tearing. Verify that your video drivers are up to date.

What splitter are you utilizing, BTW? Are you using LAV as well?

post #5 of 10 Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I just picked up an Asus HD 6450 video card. I am using XBMC as my player. What codecs,renderer, and splitter does XBMC use?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry. I almost missed this. I don't use XBMC so somebody else will have to help out with playback on that.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15

For just the reason you described, I NEVER try to use more than a single display at a time on a basic $20 video card.  The issue will go away if you establish one as the default display and toggle the display between them.  Personally, I have a VGA 1440x900 display in my EQ room and HDMI 1920x1080p PJ in my Theatre room via Onkyo 803.  When I switch OFF my O the display sees no default display and reverts to the VGA.  Whenever it's ON the PC switches the display to it and all without toggling anything manually!  This I've done on each my HD4550, HD6450 and now my HD6570.

Switching OFF all post-processing in the CCC will help alleviate unnecessary GPU drain/heat but may still not have adequate means to drive both, simultaneously.

just my $0.02

post #8 of 10 Old 08-08-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Andrew, that seems like a great setup. The only problem I see, is that my home theater and PC are in the same room. There are plenty of times where I'm watching TV, and doing work on the PC. If I understand you correctly, with the setup you recommend, the computer monitor will be off when I'm watching my TV, right?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15

YES, and that's why we call it a HTPC - it's dedicated to only being a box for your Theatre ;-) 

You could switch back to the monitor and open a small-ish window to keep an eye on playing video/TV when you feel the need to do work (locally - eyes focused at 16") on your PC.  What you could do is create a HotKey to toggle between CLONE or single so that the issue would (continue to) present itself when you're on the PC and switch over to a dedicated "HT display only" when you're really focusing on the video screen (not the PC monitor).

post #10 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Andrew, my PC is literally 10' from the TV, so I wouldn't need a window open on the monitor to watch what's on the TV. Does that make it easier to come up with a solution for what I'm trying to accomplish? Would there be a way to turn off the monitor automatically when I'm watching a movie on a certain input?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page