Google Fiber - what are you using it for? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Rather than at the house (where I agree Comcast speeds are enough for me currently) I'd really love some kind of mobile Google Fiber network purchase. Something like $10/month for lightning speed wifi in tons of hotspots all across the city (Fast food, coffee, airports, shopping malls, etc). I typically never join public wifi spots since they are slower than the 4G network my smartphone connects to (plus I still have an unlimited data plan)

I'd take a much quicker set of public wifi hotspots over boosting further speeds at home. I already get about 5-6 MB/s most of the day/night.

I thought I heard somewhere that Starbucks was going with Google Fiber where possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 09-21-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Time Warner has massive numbers of "public" wifi hotspots in some of their regions. Access is free if you have an cable-internet subscription with them.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #63 of 73 Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So all these posts are making me extremely jealous. I do have a question though, does Google have any of the stupid usage caps like my cable company decided to start implementing this month? I wish Google would hurry up and expand and I'll jump ship in a heartbeat, but I'm sure we will not see it here for a very long time.
post #64 of 73 Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobber8742 View Post

So all these posts are making me extremely jealous. I do have a question though, does Google have any of the stupid usage caps like my cable company decided to start implementing this month? I wish Google would hurry up and expand and I'll jump ship in a heartbeat, but I'm sure we will not see it here for a very long time.

No data caps. Download / upload (1gb up and 1gb down) as much as you want.
post #65 of 73 Old 09-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just curious, what Gigabit router are you using and does it give you wire-speed packet-forwarding rate?

Still Learning
post #66 of 73 Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

Just curious, what Gigabit router are you using and does it give you wire-speed packet-forwarding rate?
Don't know who that was directed at, but Google Fiber users are offered the "Google Fiber Network Box" https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2464928
post #67 of 73 Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Don't know who that was directed at, but Google Fiber users are offered the "Google Fiber Network Box" https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2464928

Thanks for the information. My question was directed at anyone with Gigabit WAN.

For Google Fiber users, although the documentation states the Network Box is required and it is not recommended that you replace the Google Fiber Network Box with your own router, I am just curious why would Google Fiber require the Network Box (router)? I can see if you start to use services like Google TV, but for straight Internet, why can't you use your own router without the Network Box?

Still Learning
post #68 of 73 Old 09-29-2013, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Reading the Google doc, it looks like the network box is a combined media converter (fiber to Ethernet) and router.

To use your own router you will need to put the box in "gateway mode" i.e. disable all router functionality essentially turning it into a "fiber modem".

Most likely Google has locked those settings making this impossible to do for the user. But I bet Google can do it remotely if you talk nicely to them and accept the "not supported" disclaimers. smile.gif

I also suspect that in gateway mode the box will still let you use all the Ethernet ports giving each of them its own public IP. My (not in the US) provider supplied a 5-port (non router) media converter and I get one fixed and 4 dynamic public IP addresses.
post #69 of 73 Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
you'd just put your router behind their router. it doesn't know where it gets its IP, it just gets it. so your router would see a 192.x.x.x lan structured gateway instead of a typical wan IP like 62.x.x.x. you'd have a 2 tier(layered) LAN at that point, no biggie
post #70 of 73 Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

Thanks for the information. My question was directed at anyone with Gigabit WAN.

For Google Fiber users, although the documentation states the Network Box is required and it is not recommended that you replace the Google Fiber Network Box with your own router, I am just curious why would Google Fiber require the Network Box (router)? I can see if you start to use services like Google TV, but for straight Internet, why can't you use your own router without the Network Box?

I just tried to bypass the network box but it wouldn't work. I plugged the wire from the WAN port (going into the network box) directly to my pc but it wouldn't give me an valid IP:

Here is a pic of the back of the network box:

The wire going to the WAN port comes from the fiber jack (pic from their support site):

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Reading the Google doc, it looks like the network box is a combined media converter (fiber to Ethernet) and router.

To use your own router you will need to put the box in "gateway mode" i.e. disable all router functionality essentially turning it into a "fiber modem".

Most likely Google has locked those settings making this impossible to do for the user. But I bet Google can do it remotely if you talk nicely to them and accept the "not supported" disclaimers. smile.gif

I also suspect that in gateway mode the box will still let you use all the Ethernet ports giving each of them its own public IP. My (not in the US) provider supplied a 5-port (non router) media converter and I get one fixed and 4 dynamic public IP addresses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

you'd just put your router behind their router. it doesn't know where it gets its IP, it just gets it. so your router would see a 192.x.x.x lan structured gateway instead of a typical wan IP like 62.x.x.x. you'd have a 2 tier(layered) LAN at that point, no biggie

I have an old router running tomato that I would have preferred to use as I can run the adblock script on the router to block ads. The google fiber home network usually uses 192.168.x.x. with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
post #71 of 73 Old 09-29-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
When your router is plugged in instead of the Google box, does it indicate the link is up? What does the Tomato WAN status say?

Maybe your router needs to clone the WAN MAC address of the Google box - might be that Google only gives out IP addresses to known MAC addresses.
post #72 of 73 Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I had my pc connected directly (no tomato router in between).

Not sure if google does mac authentication. I would sure like to use my own router. I know the tv box uses sage.
post #73 of 73 Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

Why do you think Austin and Kansas city have any neighborhoods with underground utilities?

They ran the fiber in my South Kansas City, Missouri neighborhood at the end of this summer. Nobody can get service yet and for some reason they skipped my Cul De Sac. The rumor is they are supposed to come back and finish the project. I am concerned the six houses in my Cul De Sac are going to get the shaft.

Anyway, all our power lines, cable and phone lines are under ground. Google also buried their stuff. Not sure if they used existing conduits or had to bore new holes. They didn't tear up anyone's driveways or sidewalks and threw down grass seed and straw when finished. They did have to dig up some street pavement but eventually fixed what they tore up.

I'm watching the Chief's game on Time Warner as I type this and my HD picture sucks.

Come on Google and get this project finished and get a deal worked out with AMC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page